Dogomania

What on earth am I going to do with her?!

Crested

Bella is starting to get impossible!!!
Whenever I go somewhere that she can't follow me to (like the bathroom) she starts to whine and [i]scream[/i] behind the door!
The same happens when I go to the shower or when I take Ben out.
So whenever I go somewhere, she sits behind the door and whines and screams.
I'm clueless on what to do and on what's going on. It seems like she has to know where I am at all times. This is very good outside. I can keep her offleash on our yard without beeing afraid she's going to run away. Whenever I go behind the house corner so that she can't see me, she runs as fast as she can to the direction where she saw me the last time she looked.
But what should I do with this thing inside the house? I mean... Where ever I go she follows (it can be quite cute though...) and if she can't go wherever I'm going, she whines and screams.
Is something wrong with her? Or me?

/Crest

she is TOO attached to you....

you need to start seperation training. start with 5 minutes at a time. Leave the room, let her cry and scream, then come back. DO NOT praise her in any way, and dont let her get in your lap and cuddle up to you. Make her go lay down, and tell her she's a goof dog if she complies.As sson as she can be left alone for 5 minutes without crying, make it 8, then 10, etc. It's a slow process, but eventually she will learn that being away from you isnt the end of the world....when she shows for the first time
(at the 5 minute interval) that she can be alone for 5 minutes, then praise her for not crying, and increase your time frame.

[color=darkred]Crested, sorry to hear your having problems with your dog hun but I think you need to be firm with Bella, it seems she is above you rather you above her....I know how frustrating it can be because my neighbours 2 Boxers only have to be let outside when there owners come back from work and the moment they are, the one dog Milly starts barking and whinging, which really goes through me at times. Instead of them sorting it out they leave it which makes Milly worse, a few times I have told her to shut up.
The worse times is when my neighbours mother is there, she moved in a while ago and when her daughter and son-in-law went on holiday for 2 weeks, it was a complete nightmare....she left the dogs barking and whining outside for hours everyday, it drove me nuts especially as I have 3 dogs and not one of them moans or barks to come in.

You do really need to put your foot down and show Bella whose boss and not allow her to watch your every step.
While your doing something put her outside with some of her favourite toys, try and destract her by giving her some food or something as well, then sneak back indoors.[/color]

[quote name='Malamum']I agree with what Courtnek has advised, however I just wanted to add don't go back to her when she is crying and carrying on. It will just reinforce that crying gets her what she wants.[/quote]

GOOD POINT!!! No matter HOW much she screams do NOT go back to her when she is crying. Even if she is only quiet for 5 seconds before you return. I have evne gotten to the point with some pups where I stand where they can't see me. As soon as they stop acting like idiots I go back in.

Also, since she is so young, I would return to her and praise her for being quiet.

I guess I didnt make this clear...if you leave her for longer than 5 minutes, even if she's still crying, she could become afraid and start
destroying things during the seperation period, including damaging herself. That's why I said let her out after 5 minutes, but do nothing to praise or welcome her. Make her lie down, away from you. Leash her to something if you have to, but make her realize that the crying will not bring rewards.Then, when she can handle the 5 minutes without crying,
make a big deal out of her...then increase it to 8 minutes, etc.
She needs to learn that being seperated and taking it will win her praise.
You want to show her that being seperated with good behavior gets rewarded, but you have to take it tiny steps at a time. It will take a few 5 minute periods to make her understand that the attention she craves will only come if she is quiet during the seperation.

But this is so weird! I went to the bank so I left the house entirelly. Mom was home with the dogs and dad gave me a ride (because I don't have my drivers licence yet). When I came home just now, mom told me Bella whined a little, but not much at all.
So... I can leave the house, but I can't leave the room. :o

It's a tough call to make on the net. Anyway, be sure you can leave the house, just not the room. Maybe it was a fluke? Try leaving the yard in a vehicle for extended periods of time several times. if nothing is destroyed and no fits are pitched in your absence I would say it's a dominant thing...she is using certain behaviors to control you. Some SA dogs will whine but not destroy things so long as there is someone with them.

Dogs are smart. She didn't cry when you left the house because she knew you were gone and couldn't hear her cry so there was no point.

When you are in the next room she knows you are there and knows you will come back to her if she cries.

When Indy was a puppy my boyfriend used to work shift work so he was still asleep in bed when I went to work every morning. Since he never got up and stayed in bed the whole time I was getting ready Indy didn't really associate that there was someone else in the house. Michael said that when I would leave that Indy would cry for maybe 5 minutes then he would settle down. However one morning after putting him away before I left I had to go back upstairs to do some stuff and as Indy realised that the car hadn't left and I was still in the house he cried and howled and carried on the whole time. I asked Michael if he does this every morning and he said no - once he knows the car is well and truly gone he stops.

They are smart - they know. Our rule was [b]never ever [/b]go to him when he was crying and it worked for us.

It will be harder on you than it will be on Bella but you need to be tough otherwise she will only get worse and the more ingrained the behaviour the harder it will be to change it.