Dogomania

I THINK we're getting a dog!!!!!:)

imported_nea

Well, I'm pretty sure! :) My mom is saying that she WANTS a dog again!!! So in a month or so we are probably going to get a puppy!!!! :D :jumpie: :megagrin: :loveu: :Dog_run: :iloveyou: :B-fly::)

Anyway, now we're discussing it and trying to figure out how to do it. Maybe an older dog would be better for us, but neither one of us wants to have the possibility of having another Birk like thing happen. So we are going to get a puppy. If we DO get a dog... Which I THINK we will! I am getting some contact with my father again now, and he loves dogs and knows lots about them, so he might be able to come during the day once or twice and take the pup out for a walk and play some with it. We also know some other people who might be able to help too. We need to ask them. I think the perfect time to get a puppy would be like now, or next week, because then I have a week off school, and after that 2 weeks prao at a doggy daycare, and probably I could bring the puppy then. But my mom doesn't want to do that.

Skipping the techinical part of it all, what breed/breed mix should we look for, do you have any suggestions? The most important things we need are that 1. the dog is very trainable, 2. Will not always try to get the guinea pigs, 3. People oriented and very affectionate 4. Can be happy in an appartment 5. Is not prone to too many health problems.
The breed I would like to get teh most is a border collie, but I don't know if it could be happy in an appartment. I would eventually like to train Agility, and obedience. The dog would get about 2 hours of walks and running loose time every day. Once a week it would accompany me around when I bring advertisments to a bunch of houses and appartment buildings around where I live, which takes several hours. Thats how the excersize bit would be, about. Othe breeds I was thinking of were poodles and collies. What do you think of that? What breed do you think would fit? I do not want a terrier or toy dog. :)

I'm trying hard to controll my excitment incase it doesnt work out, or if it takes ages for it to work out. But this is the best thing that could possibly happen to me!!!! :D :D

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

CONGRATS NEA! I know you've been waiting for a dog for what seems like FOREVER! :lol:
I have to agree, a B/C wouldn't be a good choice (although if you lived somewhere else where they could get more excersize I'd say go for it!) You dont' want a high energy level dog living in an apartment, if it didn't get propper exercize it would end up being bored and becoming distructive, and then you'll have a REALLY big problem on your hands! And from what I understand (although someone correct me if I'm wrong, because I know next to nothing about poodles!) They are also high energy leveled dogs. I would asume Collies are too, being herding dogs, but I'm not sure.
Also, this is just my suggestion from my experience, but I think it would be best if you got the pup/dog on your holidays. Even next winter break would be better. We got Coal when I was still in school, and because of it, he saw mom most of the time, and (well, I was also dealing with other things so at the time I didn't even feel like going out and doing things with him :-? ) plus when I got home I wanted to relax then I had to do homework, plus I wanted to visit with my boyfriend, and there's only so much I could cram in after school. Poor Coal and I started out with the WORST relationship ever, and now that I see that, I'm putting him on top more, training him instead of visiting friends, and getting homework done then right after going outside with him. Puppies are a LOT of work, even adult dogs can be, so if you want a good bond with this dog, the best time to build it is when he/she first comes home, and if it's during when your in school, it will be much harder to do so. But this is just my opinion, I don't want to rain on your parade (sp?) and I know you probably dont' want to wait another DAY before you get him/her :lol:
Concidering I mainly know about gun dogs and herding dogs, (mainly herding) I can't really suggest any breeds because the ones I love have TONES of energy :lol: But if I find anything that's not a little toy or terrier, and isn't a high energy level dog, that would meet more to your standards, I will deffently suggest it! :D :D

[quote]The most important things we need are that 1. the dog is very trainable, 2. Will not always try to get the guinea pigs, 3. People oriented and very affectionate 4. Can be happy in an appartment 5. Is not prone to too many health problems. [/quote]

Well, of course I am biased, but I think a Maltese would be a great choice! They are very affectionate and cuddly, and they are not as active as a poodle or other toy breeds, or as yippy. They are very bright, and some people do obedience and/or agility with them. They do not have a high prey drive. If you get one from a reputable breeder, they have relatively few health problems...probably the most common is luxating patellas, but that happens in most smaller breeds.

[quote name='Sanvean'][quote]The most important things we need are that 1. the dog is very trainable, 2. Will not always try to get the guinea pigs, 3. People oriented and very affectionate 4. Can be happy in an appartment 5. Is not prone to too many health problems. [/quote]

Well, of course I am biased, but I think a Maltese would be a great choice! They are very affectionate and cuddly, and they are not as active as a poodle or other toy breeds, or as yippy. They are very bright, and some people do obedience and/or agility with them. They do not have a high prey drive. If you get one from a reputable breeder, they have relatively few health problems...probably the most common is luxating patellas, but that happens in most smaller breeds.[/quote]

You seem to have overlooked this part of the origional post.
:)
[quote]I do not want a terrier or toy dog.[/quote]

Hmm.... Most of my favorite breeds do tend to have high activity levels... Malteses do seem nice Sanvean, but I want a bigger dog that can go running with me, and stuff like that. I don't think I want a dog any smaller than an english cocker spaniel, like Birk was. I'd be staying home from school the first week or so that I had the puppy, so I wouldn't have that problem HazelNutMeg. :wink: :)

How about a golden retreiver, flatcoated retreiver or a labrador? I know alot of people living where I do have them, and they seem happy and all. And I love those breeds too. I know theres a poodle living in the building next to my one, and it seems happy and in shape too. And I've seen collies around too... But I don't know. And just because other people do it doesn't mean I can do it. I really have to do lots of research, maybe call the dog trainer and ask their oppion, stuff like that. What are some other good ways of giving excersize for dogs?

[quote name='Black GSD']Congrats! Hope you ARE able to get a pup/dog.

That said, I think A Border Collie would be the WORST possible choice.

Since the breed really doesn't seem to matter that much, how about checking at the shelters?[/quote]

Well, in Sweden there is only one dog shelter, and they handle only about 400 dogs every year, most of them which are just lost. And there are more people willing to adopt than there are dogs. Also, they don't let you choose your own dog. Some dogs I just can't "connect" to somehow, I can't bond with them as strongly as with some others. And so I want to be able to choose my own too. :)

[quote name='nea'][quote name='Black GSD']Congrats! Hope you ARE able to get a pup/dog.

Since the breed really doesn't seem to matter that much, how about checking at the shelters?[/quote]

Well, in Sweden there is only one dog shelter, and they handle only about 400 dogs every year, most of them which are just lost. And there are more people willing to adopt than there are dogs. Also, they don't let you choose your own dog. Some dogs I just can't "connect" to somehow, I can't bond with them as strongly as with some others. And so I want to be able to choose my own too. :)[/quote]

Well not being able to choose your own would be a VERY good reason to stay away from the shelter. :D

What about a smaller dog. Not a toy or terrier, just something a ittle smaller than a Lab sized dog?
My reason for saying this is, if the weather is bad, it is a LOT easier to exercise a smaller dog in an apartment. (And a lot less likely to break something :o .)

What is the weather like where you live? Does it rain or snow much?

[quote name='Black GSD'][quote name='nea'][quote name='Black GSD']Congrats! Hope you ARE able to get a pup/dog.

Well, in Sweden there is only one dog shelter, and they handle only about 400 dogs every year, most of them which are just lost. And there are more people willing to adopt than there are dogs. Also, they don't let you choose your own dog. Some dogs I just can't "connect" to somehow, I can't bond with them as strongly as with some others. And so I want to be able to choose my own too. :)[/quote]

Well not being able to choose your own would be a VERY good reason to stay away from the shelter. :D

What about a smaller dog. Not a toy or terrier, just something a ittle smaller than a Lab sized dog?
My reason for saying this is, if the weather is bad, it is a LOT easier to exercise a smaller dog in an apartment. (And a lot less likely to break something :o .)

What is the weather like where you live? Does it rain or snow much?[/quote]

It does rain (well, drizzle) alot. And it can be snowy. But I love the snow, and I'm used to rain. The only thing I don't like about rain is that the snails come out. So during really rainy days I'd most liley take running type walks on sidewalks where there aren't any snails, and slow walks with careful looking of where I step in the woods. But I don't think it would be that much of a problem. :) But I do need to teach the pup that the aquarium in NOT to be leaped on. :wink:
If there is a smaller type dog that acts like a big dog, then that would be great. But I don't know of any breeds that I really like that is much smaller. Do you? Its worth lookin into. :) HAve to go through my dog book more! :)

what about American Eskimo? [url]http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/americaneskimo.htm[/url]

My Eskie is active indoors and LOVES walks. Eskies also like to get wet and likes snow.. (my eskie doesn't seem to like the water though, the others i've met LOVES water).

How do you feel about herding dogs? Like a Welsh Corgi ( They act a lot like German Shepherds with short legs.)

Or since you like Sporting dogs (Like the retrievers) how about a Brittany? (Not a "little" dog but smaller than a Golden or Lab.)

OR since you are in Sweden. How about a Swedish Vallhund? (They are SSSOOO CUTE!!!)

I LOVE herding dogs! :D I think thats my favorite group. I know someone who has a corgi too, and its adorable. It really is a big dog on short legs. I wish its legs were just a bit longer. I'm so scared I'd step on a little dog. I know thats dumb, but its true. Even with Birk (an english cocker spaniel) I was scared to step on him. Brittanys seem nice too! :)

Pity you don't neccessarilly want a little dog, because a Papillon would be perfect!!! Actually they are like a big dog in a little package, not yippy, very affectionate and are the most trainable and best agility dogs of all the toy breeds! They are also unique, don't need to be clipped ever and only need a quick brush once a week. Don't shed much either as they have no under coat. They are the type of dog you walk down the street with and they turn heads, plus, although they look all upper class they are great bush dogs, they can adapt to almost anything. And I can guarentee you'll fall madly in love with it!!! They are the best cuddlers and are so quick to learn things! Sociable and friendly with strangers, adventurous and not shy to explore new people and places. As far as health goes they are one of the healthiest little breeds also. Great dogs, I am biased but I also know what its like to own one and I can assure you its a pleasure. I've never been a little dog person, but I think it was the temprement of the papillon as well as trainability, intellegence, sociability etc that drew me to them. They are "a big dog persons little dog" if that makes any sence, a big dog in a small package. Most people havn't hear of them so I tell them that they are like a border collie, only smaller - and seeing as thats what you like you might want to check out your options!!!
Oh, plus Montie has a few Swedish champions in his bloodlines so you may even find a relative of his! :lol:

Otherwise I would probably say a schnauzer :wink:

[quote name='nea'] I'm so scared I'd step on a little dog.[/quote]

LOL, I know what you mean!!! :lol:

I was also worried about the same thing, but Montie is just so quick to get out from under your feet, apparently thats true for all Papillons. I'm always tripping over the big dogs, they just stand there, but not Montie, like I said he's very quick and very agile! [size=2]He's lieing on the lounge winking at me now... I thinks he agrees that you should get a Pap, then he wont be the only one in the forum![/size] :lol:

Border Collies [i]can[/i] be apartment dogs, but are far from ideal. They really do need alot of exercise and mental stimulation and have been known to become neurotic without it, and thats not uncommon either. Even with promises to walk them daily, you'll still have the rainy week where they'll go mental. They really aren't the best apartment dogs, just because it can be done, doesn't mean it should be... :wink:

[quote name='Aroura']Pity you don't neccessarilly want a little dog, because a Papillon would be perfect!!! Actually they are like a big dog in a little package, not yippy, very affectionate and are the most trainable and best agility dogs of all the toy breeds! They are also unique, don't need to be clipped ever and only need a quick brush once a week. Don't shed much either as they have no under coat. They are the type of dog you walk down the street with and they turn heads, plus, although they look all upper class they are great bush dogs, they can adapt to almost anything. And I can guarentee you'll fall madly in love with it!!! They are the best cuddlers and are so quick to learn things! Sociable and friendly with strangers, adventurous and not shy to explore new people and places. As far as health goes they are one of the healthiest little breeds also. Great dogs, I am biased but I also know what its like to own one and I can assure you its a pleasure. I've never been a little dog person, but I think it was the temprement of the papillon as well as trainability, intellegence, sociability etc that drew me to them. They are "a big dog persons little dog" if that makes any sence, a big dog in a small package. Most people havn't hear of them so I tell them that they are like a border collie, only smaller - and seeing as thats what you like you might want to check out your options!!!
Oh, plus Montie has a few Swedish champions in his bloodlines so you may even find a relative of his! :lol:

Otherwise I would probably say a schnauzer :wink:[/quote]

Seeing pictures and hearing about Montie has actually made me think that papillons seem like the nicest small dog! :) And someday I'd like to have one. But for my "childhood" dog I really want a bigger one. Just a preference thing, I guess. I get along better with bigger dogs usually, and have alot more experience with them. :)

Nea,

Do you have Australian Cattle Dogs or Australian Shepherds over there? While they aren't generally considered "apartment" dogs. They ARE easier than a BC. We have 2 ACD/Australian Shepherd mixes and BOTH would be good apartment dogs. They are more than willing to sleep on the bed all day OR go out and "do things". They don't get destructive or annoying if they don't get a lot of exercise.

Sure you can find dogs of both breeds that would NOT make apartment dogs, but you can also find dogs of either breed that CAN be apartment dogs.

I think we have both breeds, but they aren't so common. But I'm sure I could find a breeder somewhere. My favorite breed that I haven't known a dog of is the Australian Shepard, from all I've read they seem like wondrous dogs that I'd love. If you think they'd be able to be happy living in an appartment, then I think thats what I want to get! :D I'd love to have a border collie, and Annushka said she knows people who do have them in an appartment, but I might almost rather have an aussie. Now what would be nice would be to have an australian shepard/border collie/papillion mix! :lol: Thanks for all the help I've gotten!!! :)