Dogomania

Can Someone Tell Me Why This 2 Month Pup Is Always Humping?!

Holz_Boomer

Hey Guyz! For ThanksGiving, My Aunt Came Over With Her New Puppy,Minimum! He's A Lhasa Apso, 2 Months Old..He Is Always Humping My,MyMom's,My Aunts,And My Grandpa's Leg! He's Sitting Right Here Beside Me And Still Humping My Leg! We Say "no" but he doesnt listen...My Aunt's Vet Says Its Because He Thinks We're His Mom But I Mean, Really, Everyone he sees! He's Not Fixed, Could That Be The Reason?
Help Please! Cuz My Aunt Wants To Know...

Thanks Guyz!

Mich :D

Here He Is! This Was Sbout A Half A Month Ago..3 pounds but now he's about 5 pounds

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RgDPAiMTbXi6n2t7dvWHOgIAgWYukldW8daLtdYNmyJZ3EIXoqSe*BayrhUpzNS9xINLA5TS5ulqa6Wjnh0VH6lTlcKM4AEpZJzkNOxkPQE/117-1763_IMG.JPG?dc=4675442643082437338[/img]

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RgAAACUT53i6n2t7dvWHOicbyttBW4fGPfmaYOtjiy0KAj38rZGMmmJvLCFwU3WyuQm!OSWBTc8gDPnzB*0biiNS2MTVUUZPnmBFK5ZoS7k/117-1765_IMG.JPG?dc=4675442643100953419[/img]

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RgDQAigTpHmCWwF6RDV1xR9sFGQ9GFb6pfQQj67Pes6vlGokuu*cQzLwy9Ok8mDo5PeQZfX86gcd6fXElS5NcXL2oJe8K4fu73a7fexwihg/118-1857_IMG.JPG?dc=4675442643122105337[/img]

That type of behaiuor un a pup that age is a dominance thing. NOT because he thinks everyone is his mom. No offense, but the vet that said that is a TOTAL moron.
Telling him NO won't work because my guess is that at that age, he doesn't even know what NO means.

That said, I would put a stop to it IMMEDIATELY. It is annoying at the very least. (I HATE dogs that do that cr@p! And most of the ones that do that are little dogs. Mainly because people with big dogs don't think it is cute or funny.)
If they don't stop him from doing that NOW. He WILL do it his whole life. (Or until someone kicks him for it.)

Most certainly a dominance thing....he doesnt know where his place is in the pack, and since no one is stopping him he's already trying to be at the top. My guess is, without knowing the facts, that eveyone is spoiling him rotten, and not stopping his behaviour because he's small and cute...
(and he really is cute) however, he wont be small and cute forever, and
they will end up with dominance issues as he gets older. He needs to be neutered ASAP, and if they dont intend to neuter him, then he needs to be
demoted back to bottom of the pile. No more spoiling, make him stop as soon as he starts, and no exceptions....no sleeping on the couch, that sort of thing....Lhasa;s may not be huge, but they can still bite, and a biting
dog is something you want to nip in the bud BEFORE it starts.....

Black GSD- I KNOW it has to stop immediatley..thats why i came here for help. And THat Vet With A Degree And I Disagree With You, She is Not A Moron, says it is because he was seperated rom his mom at an early age.
Thank You Though :)

Courtnek: Thanks, yea he does need to be neutered but the soonest he can be neutered is at 4 months and a half my aunt was told by the vet.

Thanks Guys, But YourMaking This Puppy Sound like a brat, he's not...

But Thanks :wink:

Guest Anonymous

just becuase you dont like what other people say.... you came here for help and advice, they gave it to you. if you dont like then dont post back. your sounding ignorant yourself.. JMHO though... good luck.

coutnek and Black -- i think that was great advice! i agree withyou both

Holz, I agree with the others that it's a dominance issue... A way to make him stop that right away is using a spray bottle (you know, the kind that you use to water the plant leaves): whenever he tries to hump anyone's leg, the person shpould say "no" and spray him in the face. He won't like the water, and he'll learn the meaning of the word "no", which he needs to know anyway.
Now, I'm not an expert in canine behaviour, and maybe it has something to do with the puppy being taken from his mom too young, but I just wanted to say that the fact somebody has a degree doesn't absolve her of being a moron. I'm now doing my Ph.D.--do you think that I can't say idiotic things sometime? Let's be serious :evilbat:

Guest Anonymous

great advice guys. Holz, even if anyone [i]was[/i] sayin the pup was a brat, whats so horrible about that? My pup is the hound from hell! :evil: :lol: :wink: All puppies are brats! I've never met a single puppy that was a little angel and did nothing wrong! And I have to agree with Pei Obsessed too, just because someone has a degree in something doesn't mean they know EVERYTHING! We had a teacher who was so rediculously stupid in grade 9, and she had a degree in english!
Since you came here for advice, I suggest you take it. And if you don't agree with it, don't use it. But I'm afraid I'll have to agree on everything everyone else said here...
The spray bottle idea is a good one.
Coal was a humper, then we got him fixed. He's only done it about three times since then, and all three times it was a dominance issue, and all three times it was corrected. He hasn't done it for a very long time now. Coal was taken away from his mom too early too, someone dropped him and his bro and sis off in a box out front of the SPCA there, they had all sorts of health problems too, but I wouldn't say he humped because he left his mom too early! Quite frankly that makes no sense at all! Although he's the BIGGEST suck now, I think THAT may be a result of leaving him mom too early :wink: Plus mom spoils him rotten every chance she gets (usually when I'm not around, because I'm trying to teach him not to be so treat oriented, but mom swears up and down he listens to it. Of course he does! She spoils him rotten! :roll: ) Anyway, I suggest you take the advice the others gave you.
the pup sure is a cutie too, no wonder if he gets spoiled some too :lol: :wink:

Hey Holz? Could you type regurlarly? Capitializing every word makes it very hard to read. :wink:

I think the spray bottle is a good idea, it will certainly teach him the meaning of the word "no" in a hurry. ( Unless of course he's like my dal was, he LOVED being sprayed.)

And what puppy isn't a brat? :lol: :wink:

Mounting is a normal and very common canine behavior. In most cases, it is NOT a sexual behavior. In young puppies, it is a play behavior. In older dogs, it is a method of communication, and the dog who is mounting the other dog is generally displaying dominance.
Lhasa Apso's can be a very dominant breed...they were orginally bred to be indoor gaurd dogs. Working with dogs daily and especially in the grooming shop I have seen too many Lhasa's take over a house hold and turn into horrible terrors as adults. A spoiled dog is not good company...I would be advising your Aunt to start a "nothing is free" in her house hold...every thing has to be earned by sitting before meals, sit before going out etc. and you might want to advise her to start
obedience classes early and to get a trainer who practices positive training...[b]and get the pup Castrated...as soon as possible!!!![/b]

Here is some interesting information for you to show your Aunt

[quote]Early Castration can decrease aggression both toward other male dogs and also people. The androgen (male) hormones, of which testosterone is the most important, are responsible for the development of many behavioral patterns. When young puppies are sexually mounting their 7 and 8-week old litter mates this is because of androgen surges in their bodies. The same is true with aggressive behavior. Some medications that have androgenic hormonal activity often cause increased aggression (an example would be the birth control medication, Cheque Drops, which contains one of these androgen-type chemicals). The degree castration has on suppressing aggression varies between animals and the age at which it is done. Its effect is greatest if it is done before one year of age.
A male dog can be neutered as young as 6-14 weeks of age. This early neutering does not affect the growth rate, and there are no appreciable differences in skeletal, physical, or behavioral development between those animals neutered early than those neutered at a more traditional age. It Pups neutered at a younger age often have faster recoveries than those neutered when they are older.[/quote]

[quote name='Holz_Boomer']Black GSD- I KNOW it has to stop immediatley..thats why i came here for help. And THat Vet With A Degree And I Disagree With You, She is Not A Moron, says it is because he was seperated rom his mom at an early age.
[/quote]
Ok, hows this: The vet is WRONG!!!!!
As far as the neutering him. That WON'T fix the problem. As has been said. It is NOT hormonal(sp). It is a dominance issue. Neutered dogs and even females (spayed or not) do the exact same thing. (I'm not saying he shouldn't be neutered. Just that neutering him will not stop this behaviour.)
If you truely came here for help as you claim. Then LISTEN to what you are being told rather than getting defensive.
And my guess is that the puppy IS a brat. (They ALL are at times.)

Guest Mutts4Me

[quote name='Holz_Boomer']Thanks Guys, But YourMaking This Puppy Sound like a brat, he's not...[/quote]

LOL, actually, I think that they're making him sound like a dog. They're explaining natural dog/puppy behavior. And as mounting is a commonly exihibited behavior in dogs trying to assert dominance, then I think it's reasonable to listen to what everyone's telling you.

They're not saying that he's actively thinking "haha, I'm going to hump everyone to show my dominance," like it's some kind of sneaky, bratty plan. It's merely instinct. So if he's following his instinct to test his ranking in the pack, then allowing it to continue will assure him of his dominance, and will result in real bratty behavior, which will also be instinctual because he will honestly believe he is the alpha member of the family and so has the right to do whatever he pleases.

Thanks guyz, ur right..Sorry From Gettin A bit mad before but i was just frustrated..sorry..

i love the spray bottle idea..we do that to the cat when he's on the counter :lol:

Sorry hillside...its a huge habit and not very grammatically correct! lol im trying to stop! lol

thanks everyone for your help..