Dogomania

Poor Ben panicks! Help!

Crested

Ben has started to get really attatched to Bella allthough he still doesn't want to play with her. He goes and smells her when she's sleeping.
Now everytime I let Bella out on our yard Ben panicks! He runs around the house from window to window screaming! He screams from the top of his lungs when he sees Bella outside! When she comes in, he runs to her to see if she's ok. It's weird, but it's not fun to see him that way. He even tried to jump through the window glass yesterday. I know I have to go out with Bella, but how can I do that without Ben panicking?
Any ideas?

/Crest

Sound almost exactly like when I first got Russkit. Tizzy would go beserk when I picked Russkits up to cuddle him. But after a week or two Tizzy was sure Russkit wasn't going to dissapear forever, and now he is grateful for a few minutes of rest! :o Little One is ALWAYS running around! :) I don't know if its the same for guinea pigs or dogs not though... :-?

Ok,

I will be the "odd man(or WOman in my case) out." :D

I would NOT take them out together. Ben has GOT to learn that it is OK that he and Bella are seperated. They are NOT conjoined twins. And IMO, it is best if he learns that NOW rather than later. What happens if he is allowed to be with her 24/7 and for some reason later on, Bella has to go somewhere that he cannot go. (Say for instance the vet.) Best to nip that "we cannot be seperated" nonsense in the bud RIGHT NOW.

If you are afraid that he is going to injure himself, crate him.

(And for the other posters.) One reason "I" wouldn't take them out together is that Bella is probably "supposed" to be doing her "buisness" rather than playing. Which is what she would be doing if Ben was out there too. They would be playing and she would think that her trips outside were playtime rather than time to "go".

I forgot to add. I would NOT bring Bella back in while Ben is "freaking out". All that will do is reinforce his behaviour.

Interesting point. I never had this problem with the boys as they were always prompt at doing their business first and then set to playing. Also I wonder if maybe the issue isn't so much an issue of Ben not wanting to be seperated from Bella as Ben feeling very dejected and sad and seeing Crested out there "having fun" with Bella instead of him.

[quote name='mouseatthebusstop'][quote]"we cannot be seperated" nonsense in the bud RIGHT NOW. [/quote]
I think Crested means it's a jealousy issue mummy is outside with the new baby why can't I go to, it's my mummy[/quote]

Well that could be. BUT that is not what she said. She said "everytime I let Bella out on our yard Ben panicks!" And "He screams from the top of his lungs when he sees Bella outside! " That, to me, says that she thinks he is freaking out over BELLA being outside and not MOMMY.

I agree with Black GSD on this one. Ben is trying to dictate to you what to do. If you want to take Bella out on her own do it and just ignore Ben's carry on. Don't go back inside until he calms down, otherwise he will think his behaviour produces the desired result. Once he figures out that throwing a tantrum doesn't get him his own way then it should stop.