Dogomania

Wellness Puppy Food

Aonir

Wellness puppy kibble is a unique pyramidal shaped kibble that is supposed to help clean teeth but who knows. It is around 1cmX1cm at the base of the pyramid. If you are worried about the puppy scarfing it whole, sometimes but not always putting a tennis sized ball in the bowl with the food will slow down the scarfing enough for the puppy to consider chewing. Good luck.

• 1 year later...

I've been taking a lot of courses on dog nutrition lately, and more and more vets and people are realizing that dry dog food doesn't do a whole lot for cleaning the teeth. In some cases, it actually makes more of a problem! lol

If you're concerned with clean teeth, your best bet is brushing them daily. :)

if you feed wellness, keep a close eye on your dog's teeth. on all the dogs i've had, no other brand has left teeth dirtier than wellness.

i'm not saying it's a bad food (though there are better ones), but i feel people need to be aware of this so they can keep an eye on the teeth and prevent plaque in time.

as for brushing - if you feed a dog a lot of fresh, raw, untreated bones, brushing teeth is hardly necessary. green tripe also works wonders. it's not just the abrasive action that has an effect on the teeth, but also enzymes and acidity of the food. :)