Dogomania

Decent treats?

ferky1

I am looking for some recommendations for good treats for my pup. We are trying to stay with natural, no preservatives so we have been giving him Old Mother Hubbard's puppy biscuits (broken up because he's just a little guy).

Due to some pretty bad skin itchiness, we are now trying to remove the most likely allergens, and this includes corn, wheat and soy. Of course the first ingredient in his treats is wheat flour.

A pet store employee recommended Wellness treats as they are all natural and wheat, corn and soy free (he is now eating Wellness puppy kibble and doing pretty well). Are these Wellness treats any good? Is the fact that they contain Molassas a bad thing?

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good treat? How about those meaty treats all the stores sell? I know he'd love them but I hesitate because of all the crap that they are made with. Does anyone recommend a soft-meaty treat?

:D

Glad to see that you are concerned about your babies health. Those meaty treats that you are talking about are basically nothing but junk food or as I call them Candy.

The Wellness treats should be fine, from what I understand that's a pretty good product. There are some threads with some links to home-made recipes.

:angel:

You could simply boil a small amount of boneless skinless chicken and dice it up for treats. You could make a very small amount or make a large amount and freeze the excess. Boil it, dice it, spread it on a cookie sheet and freeze it. Once frozen, toss it into a freezer zip bag. If you dice it small enough...tiny even, you could give one or two while frozen though probably best to thaw first. Tiny frozen treats would not take much time to thaw.
You can do beef this way too, boil or bake it like a roast. In fact, every time you have roast or chicken or hamburger, you could set aside a small amount from your dinner and dice it and freeze it.
You can also take boiled chicken, slice it very thin or dice it very small and put it in the oven on about 175-200 degrees for several hours or overnight. This will dehydrate the meat, the drier is it, the longer it will last without spoiling.
My dogs also think raw baby carrots are an excellent treat, maybe dice those up small.
I also give them freeze dried liver but not too much at once as it might be too rich for their digestion. I use Bil Jac liver treats a lot but I don't have the ingredient list in front of me.
Store bought treats are excellent for their convenience and portability but don't overlook making your own at home either. You know EXACTLY what is in them by doing this.
Oh I've also diced hot dogs very small and dried them in the oven, this can take some time and be a bit messy though, they have a LOT of fluid/fat in them. Of course diced hot dogs can also be tossed into the freezer.

I make liverbits for my dogs sometimes. you boil the liver for about an hour, then slice it into tiny pieces and put in the oven (temp. about 50 celsius is the best) and keep them there until they are dark brown and dry. my dogs just LOVE them.

Guest Anonymous

These treats from foster and smith are awesome. My dogs go crazy for them! [url]http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=12&pCatId=854[/url]

also a good recipe source if interested in making your own is:
[url]http://www.doggieconnection.com/recipe/[/url]

Good luck!

Guest Anonymous

The Whole Dog Journal had an article on healthy treays in the Aprill 2003 issue. They listed their favorite treats with a partial list of ingredients here are a few that do not have corn, wheat or soy listed in the article, but there is not a complete list of ingredients so...

Henry & Sons Vegetarian Cookies
"Original Carrot Flavor"
[url]www.henryandsons.com[/url]

Original Quinoa Dog Bisquit (mostly organic ingredients, quinoa is healthy grain great for dogs who have sensitivitlies to more common grains)
[url]www.onceuponadog.com[/url]

Simon & Huey's Doggoned Tasty Treats
"Soft and Tiny Salmon Training Treats"
[url]www.simonandhuey.com[/url]

Wet Noses Herbal Dog Treats
"Pumpkin Variety"
[url]www.wet-noses.com[/url]

Dry Roasted Canine Treats
Available in Beef Filets, Free-Range Tripe, and Turkey Breast
[url]www.naturesvariety.com[/url]

Liv-a-Littles (Freeze Dried)
Chicken, Beef, or Cod
[url]www.halopets.com[/url]

Barkin' Bits
Chicken Breast (sold as a food enhancer good for small dogs, Cluckers is the same but for larger dogs)
[url]www.hillbillysmokehouse.com[/url]

The Whole Dog Journal is a great magazine, they always have tons of useful information.
[url]www.whole-dog-journal.com[/url]

Guest Anonymous

Molasses in the treats is usually ok, so long as it is not really high on the ingredient list. It is definitely better than corn syrup. Corn syrup is the #3 ingredient in Snausages. :drinking:

to my dog, the treat of the century is CHEESE!! I get block cheese and cut it up into small squares, and refirgerate it. Be careful with this in case her alleriges include milk products however.

she also loves baby carrots and banana's...but go easy on the fruit, since
alot of it (like grapes) are not good for dogs. As an extra special treat, when I make fried potatoes I seperate and freeze the leftovers, and give them to her frozen, and she loves them.