Dogomania

Flexi leads - dangerous? or just freak accidents?

[quote name='Rosebud']
I checked into TDI and decided that I liked Delta Society's program better...[/quote]

Off topic, but I took my Lab through Delta Society and had him certified as a therapy dog. If I had it to do over again, I think I would rather have just gotten his CGC. Maybe it is just our local chapter, but I was sorely disappointed with Delta Society.

Back on topic, I used to have a Flexi. My dogs are all fine on a leash and I don't have to worry about any of them charging to the end of it, or trying to bolt. The thing I hated about it was the way it felt in my hand. To me, it was just the biggest pain in the butt to keep up with. I'd rather just use a plain nylon leash. I gave my Flexi away.

I had Daisy trained by a dog trainer to "walk" on a leash, but she refuses when I have Chelsea with her. It is a lot of work!! Chelsea always wants to lead and the Daisy wants to lead, so I have both kinds of leashes. But when I take them out together, I use the flexi and feel it is better. When I take them out separate, I use leather six foot lead.

[quote name='Horsefeathers!']Off topic, but I took my Lab through Delta Society and had him certified as a therapy dog. If I had it to do over again, I think I would rather have just gotten his CGC. Maybe it is just our local chapter, but I was sorely disappointed with Delta Society.[/quote]

When Kaleb and I took our TDI certification test, we also took the CGC. I am anxiously awaiting the certificate... :)

do any of you know where you can get a good leather leash that does not cost a bilion dollars and is not stiff as board here in the US? just curious, the only ones i've seen that looked decent have been online and you can't touch or feel them so i'm cautious about getting one online......my brother has an awesome one for his dobie girl, but he got if from his trainer and has not been able to get one for me yet..........maybe i need to get on his case :)

[quote name='Marble']do any of you know where you can get a good leather leash that does not cost a bilion dollars and is not stiff as board here in the US? just curious, the only ones i've seen that looked decent have been online and you can't touch or feel them so i'm cautious about getting one online......my brother has an awesome one for his dobie girl, but he got if from his trainer and has not been able to get one for me yet..........maybe i need to get on his case :)[/quote]

Try checking out the vendors at a dog show near you, they usually have nice soft leather in all kinds of lengths and styles, some might be a little pricey but you will be able to "test the merchandise" and then go from there.

:angel:

[quote=Mary's Mama]I understand the concerns with the flexi lead but as with correction collars it is a useful tool [b]if used properly[/b]. Once again the problem is the irresponsible owner. My main reason for using it, I walk my dogs so they can have fun. I do not expect them to heel the entire walk. I want them to wander around and smell and romp in the grass, be a dog. My other reason is the tension in the lead prevents it from getting under their feet and tangling in their legs. Maybe it is a individual dog thing but it is much easier for me to walk them with the flexi than a regular lead.

It is sad those accidents occured but I would have to blame the owner not the product.[/quote]

I absolutely agree! I use 26 foot flexis with both my Dobermans in certain circumstances. When we're off on a long walk in the miles long and very untrafficed walking path, I use them. When we're at show or trial grounds where I want to be able to "lunge" the dogs to work some energy off without taking them offlead (not allowed) I use them. When we arrive at agility or obedience class I use a felxi before class to let the dogs potty. (Huge grassy areas, no one near)

I never use a flexi if we go for a walk in our neighborhood. I never take a dog into a class or on a therapy dog visit on a flexi. I frequently take my dogs to outdoor malls to practice heeling or just walking nicely with me and never on a flexi. All of theses are times I use a 6 foot leather lead.

I like flexis but I do think that many folks just don't think through how to safely and "politely" use them. To me it's common sense not to use them near other people and dogs. If my kids are on a flexi and someone does wind up coming nearby, I simply call them to me and lock the flexi in a short lead unitl they've passed safely on their way.

BTW, I have large dogs and have never had difficulty controlling them with a flexi. I don't think it's the size of the dog so much as the training level of the dog.

[quote name='Marble']do any of you know where you can get a good leather leash that does not cost a bilion dollars and is not stiff as board here in the US? just curious, the only ones i've seen that looked decent have been online and you can't touch or feel them so i'm cautious about getting one online......my brother has an awesome one for his dobie girl, but he got if from his trainer and has not been able to get one for me yet..........maybe i need to get on his case :)[/quote]

I have bought several of these. [url]http://www.petedge.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=1341&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=733&iSubCat=763&iSubSubCat=772&iProductID=1341[/url]
They do seem a bit on the stiff side when you get them but, they're leather. Leather softens with use. Mine are nice and supple now.