Dogomania

I worry about my baby's happiness

Sanvean

Macy, our new little Maltese, is SO darling and the apple of her mommy and daddy's eye. We got her three weeks ago from a breeder who had her spayed after she had problems delivering her last litter. She is 5.

She is very loving and cuddly, but she is not completely housetrained. (She's never peed in the house, but she has pooed on several occasions, though she's getting better.) Because of this, she's crated while we're at work (I come home at lunchtime) and at night. She sleeps in our room, but because of my fiance's allergies, she can't be in our bed.

I know this is too much time in a crate, and I'm going to buy an ex pen this weekend for her to play in while we're at work. Hopefully, it won't intefere with her housetraining.

But I worry that she's unhappy. We don't have other dogs for her to play with, and while our three kitties are nice to her, they don't play with her. (Our neighbors have dogs, but one is quite reserved and the other is too active for Macy's taste.) She's not interested in toys or chewies, except for the kitties' fuzzy mice, which I don't let her play with unsupervised, as they're really not meant to be gnawed on the way she does.

She seems to love us very much and is content to lay in our laps for hours. We walk her nightly, and twice a day on the weekends. Am I just being paranoid? I love her so much, and I want her to be a happy little girl.

:wink:

I understand your concern, Sandy was never truly happy by herself. IG's need companionship and now that she has Sally & Rocket she is a happy girl.

Are you in a position to adopt another Maltese or maybe a Poodle for her to play with. I really think it's always best for the four-legged children to have a friend live with them.

:angel:

Unfortunately, we're not. She's our fourth pet (we have three kitties), and we just wouldn't have the time for a second dog. Also, my fiance is not a dog lover, though he does love Macy. It took quite a bit of convincing to even get one! (She's my little wedding present.)

Weirdly, when we DO meet other dogs, she's just not that interested in them. She sniffs them a little, then ignores them. If we're out for a walk and come across someone else walking their dog, she's more interested in the human than the dog.

[quote name='K']Maybe this is just your "new parent" jitters kicking in?[/quote]

It certainly could be :) We've done two dog fosters before -- both of which went horribly -- so that could account for my nervousness. One was a GIANT shepherd-foxhound mix who was so sweet with the kitties, but the were positively [i]terrified [/i]of him. The other was a very cute beagle who couldn't be left alone for a second, otherwise she'd be chewing on something (and she had MOUNTAINS of chewies!). She even chewed on our leather recliner. :nono:

Fortunately, Macy neither scares the kitties nor chews on things. I guess I'm just having a hard time believing that everything is going well!

Sounds like you are nervous. You and Macy will do just fine. I'm sure you will do whats best for her.
My husbands the same way, except he does not like animals at all. I got my baby-dog when we were seperated. Or i would have never been able to get her. He has no choice but to like her now. I wanted to adopt a blue tick hound a couple of weeks ago when i was volenteering at the humane society. But no matter how much i begged and pleaded he would not budge. I wish i could have another companion for my dog, so she would not feel alone when ever we were gone. But one dog is enough my husband says. I say bah-hum-bug :roll: I guess i'm going to have to sneak one in someday :wink:

[img]http://thumbs.webshots.com/sym/na3/9/92/3/74699203BJBfeD_th.jpg[/img]

Angel, if your husband isn't a dog person, I definitely don't suggest breeding your baby girl! God knows what he might do when he sees the mess a bunch of puppies can make! :wink:

Jay is a cat person (as am I, for the most part!). He never owned a dog before we got Macy. He really dotes on her, though -- it's so cute!

I think you worry too much--she'd be very hyper whenever she's out of her crate if she didn't get enough exercise... If she's not hyper, then she's probably ok. Though you might wanna take her for a short walk in the morning too (you know, just 10-15 min) just to keep her in good shape.

I also wanted to get a second dog so that Indy could have a little sister. I wanted him to have another dog to play with all the time.

However we are just not set up to have a second dog at the moment.

I am sure Macy is fine and very content the fact that you are so worried shows you care deeply for her, so I am sure you spoil her and she gets plenty of attention.

Guest Anonymous

I agree - it sounds as though you love your baby very much, and I doubt she could have better. Maybe she is just a more people oriented dog? I don't know a lot about these kinds of things, but if she is not hugely interested in playing with other dogs when you're out on walks then maybe it would be pointless to get another dog anyway (especially as your husband isn't a dog lover! :) )
Is there a dog club or something you could join? Maybe she'd enjoy just meeting with other people and dogs just once a week or something. If it was obedience or something it'd exercise her mind too.
But it sounds like Macy is doing fine. You sound like a very caring mommy!
Good luck!