Dogomania

Breeders and past breeders

Angelboddy

I use to be a past breeder of shih tzu's. The petfiner board tells me that i sould have never been a breeder and i probally was a bad one. They say this because of how i have had my pup since she was 5 weeks old. I explained the situation that my friend the breeder was in and also the pup. But they still say that i and my frind have no right to be breeders. I just though this was wrong for them to judge us when they don't fully know the conditions and situation. Now i know it is wrong to give up a pup at earlier then 8 weeks old. But i feel at certain situations it's ok.

welcome!

I don't mean to just jump right in, but in no situation do I think it is okay to give a pup away at any age younger than 8 weeks. You see, the mother teaches the pups things until a certain age and the pup needs the socialization/training that the mom will give them, or else they could have temperment problems as they grow older. It is just not safe nor right, nor do I think it is acceptable for any responsible or reputable breeder to do.

But we all make mistakes, thats okay. We learn from them and keep on going. The one main reason I would say never to breed is just for the heck of it or to make money, because we are overpopulated with dogs as it is- we do not need more un-needed dogs brought into this world so that they can have the chance of being placed in a shelter.

hope to hear more from you, and hope I didn't sound like I was jumping at you! just stating my opinion:)

:-?

[quote]I don't mean to just jump right in, but in no situation do I think it is okay to give a pup away at any age younger than 8 weeks. [/quote]

I will agree that if at all possible the pups should stay with mom until at least 8 weeks old and if possible 9 weeks. However there are some emergency situations where you would pull a pup from their mother.

Sally and Rocket were taken from their mom at 1 day old. There mom got sick and almost died (big story, will not go into on this thread), anyways she had to go on IV since she was de-hydrated. Every time she heard the pups cry her milk would drop and she would start to de-hydrate. We had to take the pups and bottle-feed them or momma dog would die. We kept them all together till they were 4 weeks old, then split them into two groups of 4 till they were 8 weeks old.

Angelboddy glad you came here about this, everyone's really nice and very helpful.

:angel:

Sorry if you mentioned elsewhere, but what situation was that? I know there are some situations where you'll get a pup under 8 weeks, i got Tessa when she was only 4 or 5 weeks old.... i got her from the pound and am still angry at how someone could dump such a sweet young pup.
So what were the situations?

the mother was not producing enough milk. And my baby-dog (Nostalgia) was very week. She was starting to eat wet food and becoming independent. The mama dog had 11 pups! :o And the owner/breeder had a handful to take care of. She was also a very good friend of mine and new that i've had past experiance in raising, and fostering pups. So she let me take this poor, little, weak pup home to give extra care to. Little did i know that i would get attached to her and purchase her after her 8 week point. But while i had her, i would take her over there every couple of days to hang out with her sisters and brothers. She visited her mom and one sister every once in awhile for a year. But then we moved out of state. But she is such a great dog and her social skills are unbelievable. I love her soooooooooooo much :calus

[img]http://thumbs.webshots.com/sym/na3/9/92/3/74699203BJBfeD_th.jpg[/img]

Ugh, some people are just plain rude! :roll: Don't stay there anymore, come stay here! :D We're much more friendlier and nicer. :D And the situiation gave you no chioce but to take her, plus the fact that you took her there almost everyday! Your a [size=6][color=violet][b]WONDERFUL[/b][/color][/size] dog owner! :D

Its nice that you cared :wink:
Oh and of course you got attached!!!! There's no way anyone in their right mind could take care of a puppy like that and not become attached!!! Hey, don't worry about what the other forum says, at least you didn't buy from a puppy mill, or worse still, at least you don't run a puppy mill!!! :o

:D

Honorable thing you did and a valid reason to take a pup from their mom at such a young age. Now I will say that it would have been ideal to just give supplements to the pup while it was with it's mom but it seems the breeder just had too many to take care of. It took one person 24/7 and 4 feeding time assistants to tend a litter of 9 for just 4 weeks.

Don't listen to that other forum, they are just being mean and probably sitting back laughing about it.

:angel:

Thank you for your guys support. I appreciate everyones opinion. And i love you guys :buzi: And i'm sure my dog appreciates your support towards both of us also, so i'll add another kiss for her :buzi: I have never gone back to that board since i've found you guys. My husband think i spent to much time on here :roll: But i injoy listening to your problems and trying to help you guys if i can. And again my baby-dog(nostalgia) and i want to thank you all for all your help you have given us. :grins: :laola: :jumpie: :loveu:

[img]http://thumbs.webshots.com/sym/na3/9/92/3/74699203BJBfeD_th.jpg[/img]