Dogomania

Something to always remember!

[color=darkred]Something triggered my memory to say this.

When you take your dogs out in the car in hot weather, please make sure that you have all the windows open with the cool air and fan on, stop now and again to give them fresh water. A long time ago we were out in the car...it was a very hot day and not far from home. We both heard this weird noise coming from Patch our little Westie mix, as I wasn't driving I looked round and noticed him lying there breathing and panting heavily on the backseat...of course we had no idea what was wrong so we pulled over and got out.
I put his lead on him incase he made an attempt to jump out the car, but the way he was that wasn't going to happen....panicking we both got him to sit up...still breathing strangely...he slowly crawled out the car...his legs wobbling, we had a bottle of water with us for him and put some in the bowl...he didn't seem interested at first and was still panting heavily....so then I got one of the towels we always take with us (incase of emergencies) and dampened it with cold water then wrapped Patch in it.....within a few minutes he started to feel fine...still wobbly and panting but his breathing had calmed down a lot....we took him straight to the vet who said he had Heatstroke!!
We had both windows down in the back but didn't have any air conditioning which probably could have prevented it as there wasn't any wind that day to keep Patch cool.
We are very careful now. Thought I should mention it incase anyone ever gets in that situation!![/color]

very dangerous in the summer to keep pets in a car. I heard a story of a couple who went to a restaurant in 85 degree heat and saw a dog locked
in the car with all the windows up. They went inside and asked who owned
the car - no one knew. They made a scene, telling everyone in the restaurant that these people were killing their dog leaving it like htat.
The owners eventually fessed up when the whole restaurant turned on them and left. The couple called the ASPCA and the dog (who had been reproted before for mistreatment) was taken away and rehomed.

It can get up 120 degrees in a car with the windows up -

thank you very much for posting that.

[color=darkred]Its stupid and very cruel.....many people seem to leave the windows up with there poor dogs in the car. I know what it is like being in the car when it is hot and usually I have the window down but there as been occasions when I don't and blimey....its like being in a sauna...so I can immagine what its like for those poor dogs.
Dogs can get hot just walking them as well....the best time is in the evening when the sun as gone down and its cool!
The only times my dogs are out in the sun....is the back garden....I make sure they lye in the shade.[/color]

Absolutely! Thanks for reminding us. It's especially dangerous in the heat if you have a flat-faced dog (bulldogs, pugs, etc.), because they're prone to breathing problems. And the metal buckles of the seat belts can actually burn the dogs. You shouldn't leave dogs or children in the car for more than 7 minutes (or so I heard), with windows rolled down, parked in the shade (just for emergencies - like if you absolutely had to stop for a potty break). By the way, be careful leaving your dog ou in the yard during the summer. Pavement gets very hot and can burn a dog, and tar can melt and become matted in the fur and burn.

BTW, is it true that dogs with thick fur is insulated from the heat, along with the fur acting as a cooler in the heat?

hehehe...what an ironic topic. Today we (my dad and I) went out because we had to go to the vets and pic up my brother. We took Zebra with us of course because he LOVES car rides. I had to get out and go to the store. So Zebra stayed in the car with my dad...when I came back to the car Zebra was sitting in my seat with the air conditioner pointed straight at him with a bowl of water next to him. He looked so happy because it was nice and cool in the car. When we got home he didn't want to get out of the car into the hot sun so he just sat there in the car. I actually had to pick him up to take him out of the air contitioned goodness. :lol: :P

I don't know why people leave there dogs in the car why they go run errands. I wouldn't leave Zebra alone in the car even if it was winter. *sigh* it just makes me sad and angry to see dogs alone in cars with the windows up. They always look so sad and in pain. And it's very bad here durring the summer because it's always soooo hot. Today it was 90 degresse in the sun! and 100 in the car! :o

[color=darkred]I have seen dogs left in cars especially at shows, you know because it comes over the air (CAN THE OWNER OF CAR blah blah blah PLEASE GO TO THERE DOG AS ITS VERY DISTRESSED!
Your thinking why on earth bring a dog to the show if its going to be left in the car. It makes me so angry :x
Even if the weather is cloudy it can still be very warm for them.
We don't take our dogs out in hot weather...if say, we go for a drive somewhere but we do if its cloudy....the windows are always down with the air conditioner full on.
I often turn round to see there fur and ears flapping about so I know they are fine. Penny leans with her head up the mesh to get it all LOL

If on holiday when mojority of the time the dogs are with us....we walk them very early before the sun comes up, and again early evening.....in between trips they have freedom in the garden with plenty of water! [/color]

Last summer, there were couple of cases where mothers murdered their children by locking them in the car. Two kids were locked in the trunk! How could they do such a thing? Just think, they cook in there and eventually pass out, never to awake. :x :cry:

Guest Anonymous

I never leave my dogs unattended in my car. Windows open or not. Even when they're riding with me I have the air on when it's hot. Bentley has a tendency to overheat easily. And I certainly NEVER leave my kids alone in a car. They're too cute someone might want to snatch them. At least that's what I'm always worried about.

I've never left my dog alone in a car unattended. Once I was fighting with my mom, and I didn't want to go into the store with her so I stayed in the car. Well, she took the keys (on accident... she thought they were on the carseat) and so I had no air-conditioner. Very hot. Very Very hot. I didn't stay outside too long!!

Thanks for the reminder!!

Thanks for reminding everyone of this danger! The past few years have shown lots of little kids who died because they were left in the car, and it's the same for dogs and cats. It gets VERY hot in a car in the summer (I live in Minnesota where the temps can get to 100+ with extremely high humidity) and an animal or a child can die in a rather short period of time.