Dogomania

Pets in times of disaster.

DogPaddle

Do you have a disaster plan (or general idea or any supplies etc?)  

1. 1. Do you have a disaster plan (or general idea or any supplies etc?)

• No disaster plan at all.
    • Disaster plan but doesn't/doesn't yet include pets.
    • Disaster plan involves pets but places a lower priority on them (as opposed to self and family members.)
    • Disaster plan in place - pretty much the same for self, family and pets
    • Dog has spacesuit, year supply of favourite food, stress releif kongs and dog music and doggy bomb shelter but I only have a dust mask and an old evian bottle.

Don't mean to disturb anyone but recent events have caused me to be in a worried morbid state of mind.
Do you have a plan to take care of your pet in times of natural or manmade disaster?
How do you plan to get a panicked rover or kitty out from under the bed etc?
Would you risk your life to save/protect your pet?
What would you do if, in a seriouse disturbance causing long term shortages, you were short on food or water?

This is something we've put a lot of thought into. There are no children here... just the hubby and me and the critters. We live in an area that gets hurricanes and tornadoes regularly (we were narrowly missed by a tornado just last night, but some people 20 minutes away weren't so fortunate). I also think about the possibility of fires when I'm not home. My critters are not loose when we aren't home. The cats have their own bedroom they are confined to and the dogs are crated. I have too many animals for the fire department/police/me/whoever to be trying to look for in an emergency. The local emergency officials have access to the information of how many animals are in the house and exactly where they are located, so there will hopefully not be the problem of looking under beds and such. There are stickers on the windows that state that all animals are to be sent to and boarded at my vet's clinic (name and address on sticker) if we're not able to be reached.

I haven't really put a lot of thought into the whole war thing, though. I mean, I haven't been stashing away bottled water and months supplies of food. If it comes to that, we will be as screwed as the animals.

We have no plan at all :( but all the stuff going has got me thinking. We live in a fairly eathquake free area, nothing big since history recorded as far as I know, although the Niagara Escarpement apparently presents a small risk. We are at the very northeastern tip of "tornado alley" but very little damage is ever done. Also don't see much chance of war coming here but who knows. I think we should get those "pets here" in case of fire stickers. We always have water on hand as we have a water cooler and a few 18l bottles, we have our water filter from canoeing and our canoeing stove but not much in the way of other supplies. I wonder what is happening to peoples pets in Iraq, at least there is not likely to be many pet dogs, many muslims will not keep pet dogs.

We don't have any specific plans for any type of disaster however in the event of such an event I will do what ever is necessary to protect my dog.

Just before Christmas we had busfires in our area so I stayed home from work for two days just in case they evacuated our street and we couldn't get back to get Indy.

[quote]We live in an area that gets hurricanes and tornadoes regularly (we were narrowly missed by a tornado just last night[/quote]
Are you in Georgia? I just heard a few people died due to a tornado over there.

My kids are starting to worry about the war. When all this first started, my husband ran out to get the water and duct tape, but that kind of fizzled out. We are living as usual. (K, we have so much dog food too!! The dogs are more prepared than we are :lol: )