Dogomania

NEUTERED/SPAYED

mouseatthebusstop

DOES NEUTERING CHANGE A DOGS PERSONALITY  

1. 1. DOES NEUTERING CHANGE A DOGS PERSONALITY

• FOR THE BETTER--
    • STAYED THE SAME

I;m not sure what it was you read, since I didnt get a link, but neutering does change their personalities, I have found for the better,

Alex ran away the first night he was here, THREE TIMES!! He found a hole in the fence that Freebee never found, and escaped. There was a dog in heat down the street, and that's what he was after. I have found that after neutering (even with Freebee) they are calmer, less dominant and
adjust better to having me in charge. And in the long run, this makes them easier to train.

After I got Alex neutered, he lost interest in the dog down the street and doesnt try to escape. He has become a very loving gentle dog, even after
being neglected by his previous owners. If your not going to breed them, then neuter them is my slogan.

When we got BK from the shelter he had been neutered there (therefore his previous owner had not done it- though he was only 6 mths), and we had to take him back in a week or so to get the sutures removed. The potential bad effects of leaving a dog entire (dominance, aggression, roaming, marking) may have played some part in him ending up in the shelter, as an entire dog, in the first place, as well as being not suitable for his previous owner's lifestyle. (their loss!) He is still dominant but not in any way aggressive towards other dogs and people- and he still likes to wander, for adventure though not girls- in fact he ran away the first night we got him- but all of these behaviour patterns may have been [b]worse[/b] before he was snipped. We'll never know!

I think wandering and aggression are the two most noticeable changes.

And even an "entire" dog will get fat if you feed it too much! :D

I think the "neutering makes them fat" is a form of an urban legend.
Some of them do get calmer, so all you need to do is adjust their food intake. Mine are both neutered and neither one is fat.

no, you're right - it IS against nature - but think of it from a different viewpoint -

If you were the dog, and entire, and could never mate, would that not make you crazy???? They have the same urges as every other creature - to procreate - leaving them entire and not allowing them to relieve those
urges, in my opinion. is wrong.

If you dont intend to breed your dog, then the kindest thing to do is to neuter it. Why should it have to suffer sexual need unfulfilled? Part of the aggression in unneutered dogs comes from the sexual drive that it cant act on....Nature tells him he needs to find another dog to create puppies
with...and there is no other dog....

Think about it...As caretakers of these animals, we have to choose what is best for them. Even if it's "against nature"....

Courtnek that was a excellent way of utting it! :D:D:D

Crested imagine being a dog that is "entire" but CANNOT breed? It will drive him crazy!!

Believe me, after I spayed my female, she was MUCH MUCH MUCH more settled and calmed down ALOT!!

The kindest thing to do is to neuter him! He will not even notice!

Please Crested it is NOT inhumane in any way!!

tke Courtnek's advice!! :D:D

Waiting for your reply!:)

I think that all dogs should be spayed or neutered unless they are going to be used for breeding purposes. Spaying prevents reproductive diseases in females , I don't know if there is any for the males. I have only had females. For males I think it alleviates roaming , and aggressiveness, at least this is what I'm told.

Debbie 8)

First of all I agree with you completely Mouse but I did get a fit of giggles when I read your post (I must be in a strange humour today.)

[quote]it prevents cancer of the testicals[/quote]

I was just thinking nuetering prvents cancer of the testicals in the same way decapitation prevents headaches. :lol:

Still very true and I completely support desexing, it should be mandatory for all shelter dogs and all responsible breeders should insist on it for the pet quality dogs they produce.

You won't believe this! This lady surrendered her two dogs to the shelter I volunteer at. One was a male and the other was a female, both not fixed. We were like, "Are these dogs used for breeding? How many litters had she had so far?"
Then the lady was like, [size=6]"Oh no! We don't breed our dogs. But don't worry, they won't because they're siblings."[/size]

We were like "Whoa!" Talk about clueless owners. Dogs don't care about incest and stuff like that!

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

Can anyone how to tell if a dog has been nuetered or not? What would be the physical evidence to look for?

this post really interests me as at the moment i`m debating whether or not to take Barney my 3yrs old JRT (male) to have the "snip" . As latley he constantly follows my male yorkie terrier called Joe around (which Joe is getting sick of and so am i) and trying to mount him :o I dont think he`s doing it to be dominat as that`s never been an issue between them and because he also tries to mount my pet rabbits when their out playing (male or female) :o and he tries to mount my leg when the fancy takes him :o , so i think it`s sexual frustration! As well as that just latley Barney has started to get a bit too bossy and a bit snappy! Not aggressive though.
I have 3 males including barney and one female. The others apart from Barney have been "done", the only reason Barney hasn`t is because as a very young pup he was attacked by another dog, and due to his severe injuries nearly died and spent about 4 weeks staying at the vets. Because he went through so much then, i have been reluctant to have him "done" as i didn`t want him to go through any more operations etc, unless it was absolutley nesseccary. :(
what do you guys think?