Dogomania

Fruit picking...

Aroura

Lily always watches people and immitates them, she knows how to open nearly every door in if the house, and whenever I take her to visit friends by the time I leave its her opening the door to leave rather than me :wink: She even knows how to unlock some doors!
Anyway, dad was out the back picking apricots off our apricot tree today while Lily lay on the ground next to him eating all the ones that had already fallen. Dad came in with a bucket of apricots and ten minutes later we looked out the window and there was Lily, standing on her hind legs picking apricots!!!! Then if they were unripe she'd just leave them on the ground, but if they were ripe she would actually eat the fruit and spit out the seed, then back to more picking! :lol:
Its a funny site, watching a boxer walk around on hind legs picking apricots... what a smart dog?

When we moved to this house I did an extensive amount of landscaping. I asked my husband if he had any requests and he asked for strawberries and pear trees. I planted loads of strawberries and four pear trees, three different varities. We have yet to eat a single strawberry. Whitney watches and waits....just when they're about red enough to pick, she eats them. We always see lots of green berries and berries that are just starting to blush but, since Whit loves them I guess we'll never have homegrown strawberries.

The pear trees are another problem. Both dogs will harvest pears on the very low branches so I have to keep them clear. Many green pears = dog with tummyache. Last spring Mason added an extra twist, he started climbing the pear trees to get to the fruit. They're not big trees and the only way he could to it was to sorta "grab and kick" his way up. <sigh> My trees look pretty strange now....pruned to discourage dog climbing.

We have lemons and figs (and my blossoming tomatoes, strawberries and passionfruit!). BK didn't touch any of them, he prefers the taste of plastic, dirt, and wood. :D At mum's we have avocadoes and the possums take great delight in finishing them off and leaving the skins and stones around to step on. :roll:

Guest Anonymous

Hazel learned to open the front door, then soon leanred how to open my bedroom door too!! she's only opened that door twice now, so it may have been a fluke... hopefully!!

Hazel also likes to eat out of our garden, and the raspberry bushes. She really likes the carrots too! LOL
My old dog Jasper use to eat outa the garden too... I remember (YEARS back, before Haze was born!) Jasper, our big Blue Merle Australian Shepherd, and Basco, our little 2 year old Apoloosa horse BOTH had their front legs RIGHT IN THE GARDEN and they were munching away on the veggies! LOL Basco always got out of the horse pen.
I would be walking home from Elm. school and there'd be Basco, waiting at the end of the road! LOL People would drive by and be like "there's a horse walking by you you know?" and I SO BADLY wanted to be like "REALLY??? :o " LOL but I knew that would be rude so I'd just tell them he was mine LOL. But it was sure funny, he was just like a puppy dog! (or at least he THOUGHT he was! :lol: )

[quote name='daisykatep']Our three labs love to pick thier own blackberries when we go out for walks, they never eat the green or red ones always the black, even our 6 month old seems to know the difference. other walkers can't believe what they see.[/quote]

My aunt's Beagles were like that with these two balls they had as puppies. One was red and one was blue, they went for the red one every time, no matter who was playing with what. Don't ask me why! :roll:

She hasn't learnt to close doors yet, I don't think she wants to either... why close them when you'll only have to open them again???
Its a bit of a problem at night when the dogs all go in the sunroom together, Lily unlocks the door, opens it and then Tessa jumps the fence and runs around the neibourhood eating cat food and getting fat. We have to always remember to lock [i]and[/i] put a chair infront of the door to stop them! :mad: :lol: