Dogomania

Jack Russell or Parson Russell?

yellowlabsrule

An excerpt from the Magazine Dog World
The energetic little dog you know as the Jack Russell Terrier is going by a new name come April 1. And it's no April Fools' joke! The AKC Board of Directors approved the new breed name to be the Parson Russell Terrier.

Breeders hope the name change will eliminate confusion over two general sizes of Russell Terriers: the short-legged, long bodied dog popular in film and TV, and the longer-legged, traditional Parson Russell Terrier, a working terrier.

What other russell terrier?????
What are they talking about?
Someone please help!
:lol:

I found this on the AKC website under meeting highlights for October.

The name of the Jack Russell Terrier is to be changed to the Parson Russell Terrier effective April 1, 2003 as requested by the Jack Russell Terrier Association of America, which is to become the Parson Russell Terrier Association of America.

This name change is going to screw everyone up! (Including me!) :lol:
Do you think this is going to give the backyard breeders more or less business??? Hopefully not more!!!!! :o

In Aussie we have had both the Parsons and the Jack registered as two separate breeds for some time. If you go back to September 4th under 'Breeds', there was a discussion on the two types in a post from "bkblue". I think the heading was "Parson's Terrier". It explains a bit about the difference's in Aussie. Hope this will be of interest to you.

They are basically the same dog. Not to say that I am an expert on this issue but this is what I know. For registration purposes, they are splitting into two types. The old standard read 12.5-15 inches in height. So if your pup was less than 12.5" which alot are, you could not register them. Also, the parson has written in his original standard a height of over 12.5". So many argue this is the "correct" standard and the reason for the names, i.e. over 12.5 = Parson Russell and under 12.5 = jack russell.

However the shorter legged version is still the same dog. I've read that the shorter legged versions were used around the farms to keep rodents and such under control but were not used for hunting for they could not keep up with the prey. There is no differnce in temperment, intelligence, etc.

Lastly, many (in the JRT world) would argue it is of no consequence b/c the dogs should not be registered with the national kennel clubs. Many feel that becoming part of the show world will be detrimental to a breed which has remained as true to its hunting roots as possible. Breeders will start to choose asthetics over hunting ability which is not as the parson would have wanted it.

Be aware, there is no such breed as the miniature jrt or black and tan jrt. Hope that helps.

Cool, didn't know there were splitting the breeds.

I have a plan to power most of North America using Jack Russells :lol:

A friend has one and the little guy literally trembles with energy. The first time I saw him, it was 15 minutes of watching him run circles around us, non-stop.

[quote name='eric']
A friend has one and the little guy literally trembles with energy. The first time I saw him, it was 15 minutes of watching him run circles around us, non-stop.[/quote]

:lol: You mean that isn't normal dog behavior?? I thought all dogs did this. :lol: My favorite is when Mary pushes the giant tennis ball. There is actually a guy with 5 that has a full soccer team. They are pretty serious!!

I always cringe when I watch Fraiser thinking about how many people are going out and buying JRT because they're "cool" and not realizing what they are getting into.

[quote name='K']I babysat an 8 week old JRT for 2 weeks (long story don't ask :roll: ) and it was (in the end) nice to have her but it was especially nice to give her back :o ...I have looked after 6 newborn babies in my time and let me tell you a Jacky is 3 times the work![/quote]

[quote name='eric']I always cringe when I watch Fraiser thinking about how many people are going out and buying JRT because they're "cool" and not realizing what they are getting into. [/quote]

That is why there are thousands of russells around the world in rescue. That is why there are foster families with 9 russells they cant find good homes for. It is especially heartbreaking for russell lovers like myself. Hope to get a rescue in the spring!

There is a commercial that I LOVE. It's for some vacuum and the russel is always jumping up and down and knocking things over and at the end it's (don't know if it's a he or she) jumping around and the mom says "The vet said he'd only be like this for the first 7yrs." :lol: I love it! Anyone seen the dirt dog on animal planet? One dog did it in what, 10 seconds? I don't know but it was FAST.

Yellowlab - I did see the dirt dog. It was very cool and I actually know two of the dogs that competed. My friends Mike and Deb (have the 9 rescues) had two of their dogs (Slick Willy and Sadie Rose) compete. They played it off as a husband against wife thing. Pretty funny to see them on TV. Anyway, the thing about that competition, as cool as it was, that is not how we actually compete. So the reason alot of the dogs had trouble is because they have never seen anything like that before.

And my favorite JRT commercial is the Cingular Wireless Rollover Minutes commercial. Everytime the announcer says rollover the jrt rolls over. Too cute!!! :D

Guest Anonymous

K--I just had to say, house breaking is like paradise when compared to potty training.....I don't know if you have a boy or not but they just like to pee whereever (SIGH). Mine still thinks he needs to go pee outside because the dogs do. It is actually hilarious in a :oops: kinda way. I say "who needs to go outside?" and 2 dogs and boy come a runnin...... I figure, what the hell, at least its not in the floor!

Erin--I [size=6]LOVE[/size]that commercial.....he just keeps rolling and rolling.....I swear....one of the cutest things ever!

Later,
Trinity
See my girls at [url]www.geocities.com/trinityess[/url]

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='K']Trinity I have had 2 little boys and I HEAR YA! can anyone guess why my downstairs loo smells of wee? :x[/quote]

On that note....our house. When we moved in, we ripped up the bathroom carpet (yes, bathroom carpet). The people that lived there before us had 5 young boys, only ONE bathroom and it was carpeted. So....talk about a smelly loo.... :roll:

• 4 months later...
Guest Anonymous

I am sorry we do not allow this kind of behaviour here Roksana...If you can not be polite about other peoples chosen breed ....don't comment.!

*Edited out By K*

Jack Russell's no matter short legged or long are wonderful !!
They are curious, energetic, intelligent, loyal, snuggly and loving , plus a whole lot more I couldn't add.
They're definitely not for the first time dog owner, unless you've done your homework and think you can take on this fiesty "big" dog in a little dog's body !! :lol:
I agree that all the commercials and shows/movies depicting them in a way that people think they are just so malleable. They get them home and find they can't deal with them and off to the pound they go..... :(
I have 2 Jack Russell's, Sassy is the product of a short leg and a long leg, she appears to be long legged but she is a little shorter than Maisy who is the product of 2 long legs. :lol:
They also say Jacks are cat killers and not good with children...... :agrue: but I beg to differ, I have a cat and I do Daycare, and my dogs love the kids and the cat !! Maisy and the cat (Kato) even groom each other !! :o
When the little kiddies that I watch snuggle up for naps, snuggling right up beside them are the Jacks !! :angel:
I'll tell ya , I love a lot of breeds of dogs, but I'll never be without a Jack Russell Terrier !! :angel:

Debbie - I am so glad I have some one to back me up now!! Love you sweetie!

Anyways, I am sure Deb would agree. I so wish you all could meet my jacks. You're ideas would be forever changed. They are not wild and out of control. Sure they have energy, and like to be active but why would you want a dog that just laid around all day.

There is truly nothing like the love of a jack. You have to experience it to believe it. It is a stronger connection than I have felt with any other breed.

I agree Erin,
Love those Jacks !
And it's unfair to stereotype them all into the same little mold,
Sassy is so refined and lowkey, you'd almost swear she wasn't a Jack !! :lol: Maisy on the other hand is Dennis the Menace in Fur !! :o But ya know what that's part of her charm !! And she cracks me up all the time !! I just can't stay mad at her !! :wink:
Every dog has its Pros and Cons, but if you've done your homework, you know how to deal with the little quirks that each one has :angel: ......
I totally agree with you Marysmomma !! :D
Loves,hugs, and kisses to Mary,Bo, and Stewie !!

• 5 weeks later...

Dinkydoodles is a parson jack russell but we just call him a jackrussell i can't see the point in a posh name as he is still DinkyDoodle to me and he has short legs not long how he should ,we got him from a breeder and saw him with his mum ,also we say his dad but they both had long legs ,he is now 14 months old and he has short legs not long ,my friend got her minky from the same litter and she is long legged plus she has a shorter coat than DinkyDoodles so my mind boggles :lol: :rofl: .if they was one name it would be so much easier .Tracy&gangxx