Dogomania

Australian Working Kelpie

bk_blue

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='corgilady']ahem.....I hate to stick my hillbilly nose into this elite discussion....but I have a little bitty ol' question.

The word kelpie looks to me like it would be pronounced "kel-pee". However, in celtic music we have a tune we play, called Song of the Kelpie. Everyone and I mean EVERYONE, pronounces it "kel-PIE"(long "I" sound). Do we assume the song refers to the dog? what is the pronunciation?

thanks![/quote]

Corgi, just thought you might want to know that "kelpie" means "watersprite" in Gaelic. :)

[quote name='yellowlabsrule']WOW that is a BIG difference between the working vs. show!!! Question... do the working dog is Australia encounter poison snakes that often?? Just wondering.[/quote]

I can't speak for Australia, but they encounter Copperheads, Rattlesnakes, Coral Snakes here in Texas. We are overran with Copperhead snakes! And sometimes the dogs get bit.

Yellowlabs, the tiger snake is common in the outer suburbs of the big cities, and also wherever there's water. I try not to walk my dog near the creek or indeed anywhere with long grass in summer. We had snakes up on the sports campus of my old school, was quite interesting to see how the teachers coped with 70 screaming teenage girls :wink:
I would assume that working dogs would encounter snakes quite often in the bush, there are certainly enough snakes to go round but I think snakes are more scared of people/dogs than we are of them, so maybe they just try to crawl away? (there are lots of poisonous snakes here, I think Aust has almost all of the top 10 most poisonous snakes in the world... ) Dogs are pretty smart though so I would imagine they might try and avoid them as well.

Upon first encounter --- they harrass the heck out of the snake and usually get bit. Change usually to, just about all the time get bit. We do the same thing that the vet does --- I give them a shot of Dexamethasone, or "Dex" for the swelling; 2 Benadryl gel caps; and wash the bite with betadine soap. Normally, the bites are late in the evening, on a Friday night, a holiday, or a weekend.....or any time when the vet is NOT available. I swear these dogs know when the vet is out of town.

The ones that have been bitten, usually stay away from them from now on. They recognize the smell, know them by sight and try to avoid their painfull bite.

We have an old Heeler that hates snakes and will go out of her way to seek them out and kill them. She has been bitten numerous times, it's a miracle that she hasn't died. We have to keep her in the yard to keep her from hunting them down.

[quote name='bk_blue']there are lots of poisonous snakes here, I think Aust has almost all of the top 10 most poisonous snakes in the world... [/quote]

You guys can go on being the poisonous snake capital of the world. It's amazing, really....think about it. One country has all the snakes that will kill you, when another country (place) doesn't have any. Sounds like a conspiracy to me! :lol: :wink:

Guest Anonymous

I have a story about a tarantula...Dog was barking in the back..Went to check on it... Needless to say I was stuck on a dog house for 15 minutes as a tarantula stood on its hindlegs ready to pounce on me (At least that is what it looked like to me :o ) while the dog ran around barking...OHHHH Scary!!! Everyone else laughed!! :-?

Oh yeah, they can be pretty intimadating! Especially when they are so big you could almost mistake them for a VW Beetle!! :lol:

I've seen them as large as a baby chick.

Wait.....wait.....getting that mental picture of you, the dog, the tarantula.............. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ......laughing with you, not at you.

Guest Anonymous

That is okay now even I would laugh AT me.... [size=1]Mr. mouthwash tee hee[/size] That thing could have ate my foot(when I was born)!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

[quote name='Jacsmom']That is okay now even I would laugh AT me.... [size=1]Mr. mouthwash tee hee[/size] That thing could have ate my foot(when I was born)!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

:oops: [size=2]i was pretty sure everyone had forgotten about the mouthwash incident......[/size]

I remember growing up in Lubbock. Those spiders.....too nice of a word, .... those beasts .... would crawl upon our screen door. Geez, scare me to death! I'm not afraid of them, just don't want one to slip down in my sleeping bag, as I wouldn't want a rattle snake to do the same! :lol:

Guest Anonymous

Bugs are just gross. That's all I can say.

I love dragon flies, lady bugs, and butterflies....but up close they are still grody.

We get pincher bugs around our house.

On grampa's farm he had these HUGE yellow and black spiders......HATE those and don't know what they are but they were scary.