Dogomania

Australian Working Kelpie

bk_blue

ahem.....I hate to stick my hillbilly nose into this elite discussion....but I have a little bitty ol' question.

The word kelpie looks to me like it would be pronounced "kel-pee". However, in celtic music we have a tune we play, called Song of the Kelpie. Everyone and I mean EVERYONE, pronounces it "kel-PIE"(long "I" sound). Do we assume the song refers to the dog? what is the pronunciation?

thanks!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Hobbit. I do think the price is justified in the end but never really had any idea before I posted this topic!
I guess with people taking working dogs and turning them into show dogs which unfortunately compromise their herding ability, this is why the price of a good working dog is so high? (please correct me if I'm wrong?) Or just because a good working dog is worth its weight in gold and always has been...
What Koolie posted "I have heard this from a couple of people so I am guessing there might be something in it?" was referring to Don Burke's possible vested interest in promoting puppy farms on his TV show. :x

Thanks for clearing that up black ! Corgilady here in Oz we pronouce it as kel-pee (looks funny to see it in writing!) The legend states that a guy called Gleeson bred this strain of working dogs and there was a bitch who's name was Kelpie she was that good that all her pups became known as Kelpie dogs hence the name .As for the prononceation it is quite possible that the Aussie accent played a part in this .My dogs are sometimes known as German coolies aparently the early german migrants had a fondness for the merle colored collies because of their accents they pronounced it koolie( slave labour is a koolie) and the German part referred to the fact that the germans like them I have a friend who is german and she confirmed that the accent makes it sound like koolie Hope this helps :roll:

[quote name='bk_blue']Thanks Hobbit. I do think the price is justified in the end but never really had any idea before I posted this topic!
I guess with people taking working dogs and turning them into show dogs which unfortunately compromise their herding ability, this is why the price of a good working dog is so high? (please correct me if I'm wrong?) Or just because a good working dog is worth its weight in gold and always has been...
What Koolie posted "I have heard this from a couple of people so I am guessing there might be something in it?" was referring to Don Burke's possible vested interest in promoting puppy farms on his TV show. :x[/quote]

The price of a good herding dog is what it is because it really takes a lot time, love and devotion (worth its weight in gold :wink: ). I think devotion being the biggest thing. The dog is worth it and a person spending years selectively breeding his Kelpies and using them as herding dogs --- you don't want just anyone buying one. You want someone that is going to continue to breed selectively and/or use the dog for herding.

I had never heard of Don Burke before you posted it. What a rat...promoting puppy farms!

Black think about this a dog replaces at LEAST one worker (more like two or three) so to employ someone at say $26000 a year plus super and workcover over 8 years (you can get more years but just to be conservitive) geez wheres my calculator!! Thats $208,000 in wages alone V's what it costs to feed and look after a dog and if they muck up its the bosses faulty usually anyway , so you can see $10,000 isnt very much in the big picture :lol:

Guest Anonymous

OK....that pix has me totally confused. First off, I didn't know Kelpies were that small (18-20")...but that's still bigger than my giant Kenzo.

Secondly...the Kelpie looks like a pup compaired to those goats....am I missing something or are the goats really that HUGE? I don't remember goats being that much bigger than something 2" taller than Kenzo! :oops:

Gigi, I think the Kelpie IS a pup, well definitely not full grown :D

Better get Hobbit to confirm it in case I am wrong! But it looks quite young.

I suppose you can get goats in all sizes too? I don't know though, I'm not a "goat person" though wouldn't mind one to do the weeding ;)

Yes, these are genetically altered goats, called [b]"Goatzilla's". [/b]They are 7 foot at the shoulder and can leap like you wouldn't believe. We *designed* them and sell them for WAY over the normal going price for a goat. They are disease, parasite and injury resistant. They have good temperments and are easy to housebreak.

:lol: sorry couldn't resist!

They are *normal* Boer/Nubian cross goats. The males (billy) weigh about 120lbs, the females (does, nanny) weighs from 65 to 100lbs.

The Kelpie is a 9 wk old pup. He and his siblings put the goats in the trough. The goats are very dog broke and will usually move when the pup asks it to (easy to build the confidence up on a young dog). We "herd" test the pups at 8wks (and later), to see who is showing the strongest desire and natural ability. Then the little guys are not allowed to harass the goats all day long, because they will. The pups are started on ducks or roosters, not goats (because they can't out run them,yet and it frustrates them when they can't and hurts their confidence).

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Hobbit']Yes, these are genetically altered goats, called [b]"Goatzilla's". [/b]They are 7 foot at the shoulder and can leap like you wouldn't believe. We *designed* them and sell them for WAY over the normal going price for a goat. They are disease, parasite and injury resistant. They have good temperments and are easy to housebreak.
[/quote]

I see a movie coming out of this..... Goatzilla VS Kelpie
or Goatzilla takes Texas :lol: :lol: :lol: