Dogomania

"TRUTH"

science_doc

My partner and I were thinking..........
Has everyone seen the "TRUTH" commercials about smoking? We were wondering if an animal rights group could raise money to make a comercial like that for spaying and neutering? Maybe people just don't stop and think about the numbers of unwanted pets euthanized each year in this country? I would definately help raise money for a national comercial like that here in the USA and anywhere else it could be used to educate the public. I know that before we adopted our dog from a shelter we sort of knew about the problem, but didn't really think about it everyday like we do now.........Just something to think about. I wonder what it would take to make this a reality.........

well mei mei,
I never knew how big the problem was till I met you guys. All our dogs had been adoptions mainly because they were cheaper :oops:. but I doubt I will ever get a dog from a breeder now. Had you asked me about animal pop. a year ago I would not have even imagined that it was the problem that it is.
I think one of the things we must think about is that it is on our minds every day but those people who have never been reached really dont know so they dont care, I'll bet if I saw a commercial on TV that was really graphic it would have burned a whole in my head. I definiatly would have kept that add in my head the next time I wanted a dog.

I think if someone made an intensely macabre and gruesome add that was done in letters and no speech, very dark, very long, quite all the way through, people would be hit with it and forced to think about it all the time! and that is when people start feeling guilty and think about doing something. followed up by a "you can help, heres how" campaign I think lives could change

I agree with the spay and nueter campaign thingy but not with deep's gruesome add thing.I don't think we should put gruesome stuff on commercials...but maybe put one of those sound thingys from the shelter...you know the one where you hear the sound of the dog when it's about to be euthanized..that would be good..make an imprint on peoples minds.I dunno, some people just don't really care about animals...they don't have the same fellings for them as we do.Heartless people.There's a difference between a non-animal lover that would help if they saw an ad like that, and a non-animal lover that wouldn't even care if they saw an ad like that.But having it only in the US wouldn't do any good, because there are lots of other dogs that aren't spayed and nuetered in other countries(for example, Taiwan).They don't even think about what happens to the puppies they breed, they just do it and do it every time the female goes in heat.You guys should come and visit taiwan sometime and see for yourself...nobody would believe it if they didn't really see it.

I think taiwan needs to quit eating dogs before we ask them to spay and neuter, one thing at a time

whats the differance between a bloody picture and a bloody sound?
the only thing I can think of is the picture stays burned in ones head where a sound can be erased by another sound. I know how america works more or less and the only way to get the zombies off their couches is too shock them into action and the only way to be proven yet is graffic images that make people ill.
America only cares if it is hurting them, just like Iraq, why dont we go liberate the country? Because no americans have been directly affected by the dictator bastard! Our kids arent raped, burned and Killed so we dont give a flying fuck!! but let me tell you if one senator or congressman went over there for 10 min he'd be 100% to take that degenerate off this planet.
okay sorry went a bit off topic, back to the commercial, IMO the only way to effectivly reach those who arent aware already is to jump down their throat and take their heart out! it works trust me it happens every day you turn on the news.....okay about to get off track again, I dont need to say anymore
:evilbat:

Alright, we mostly agree it sounds like a good idea......now does anyone have and idea about how to get the ball rolling? I hate to even say the name of this group, but PETA ( :oops: ) has lots of contacts and supporters in Hollywood. Since Hollywood has lots of money and controls some of the T.V. programming do you guys think this could be a place to start? K, I know the from the yahoo group there could be people who would know people, could you bring up that idea on that thread? Anyone else who knows someone from PETA could you talk to them? I just can't contact them in my line of work......but I would definately go all out to start a fund rasing campaign in my area for commercials like this. As for worrying about other countries, for right now this is where I live and I feel like this is where I can make a difference, if I can reach another 10 people and they tell 10 people, the message jsut might spread to 10 thousand people :wink:

If I remember correctly, I think the money for the TRUTH ads regarding tobacco came from the mega money settlements that FL got from the tobacco industry. Soooooo that explains that. I think?

Anyhoo, I am all for public education and there is nothing in the world I would love more than to see an in-your-face ad campaign regarding animal welfare, pet store/mill puppies, spaying/neutering, etc. However (and I know I'm jumping into the hot seat here), I am adamantly opposed to climbing into bed with PETA for ANY reason. Theirs is a much higher goal and to rationalize getting into cahoots with them by saying that it might benefit SOME animals is the same as to say that buying a pet store puppy saved that ONE puppy. Sure, but look at the much greater evil behind it.

Without going into a long, drawn out debate about my hatred for PETA (can you tell), I will only say that I cannot justify (for myself) any collusion
with them to benefit my genuine conern for animal welfare and therefore give them more ammunition for their animal [u]rights[/u] campaign. Holy balls, it goes against everything I believe in.

I would love to see a public education campaign, but is there ANY way we can consider this and leave PETA out of it (not that they'd be interested)? :-?

This isn't to knock any PETA members we have here. I believe there are many well intentioned *members." 'Nuff said about that.

[quote]If I remember correctly, I think the money for the TRUTH ads regarding tobacco came from the mega money settlements that FL got from the tobacco industry. Soooooo that explains that. I think? [/quote]

I'm not sure if the TRUTH adds were part of that settlement or not, but I'd tend to say not. Remeber at the federal level each company was forced to spend X amount of money to anti smoking campaigns? Well at the end of all the TRUTH adds at the bottom of the screen is a little blurb that says,
"brought to you by Phillip Morris company" I think those adds are specificaly funded by PM to apease that court order, maybe

I agree we should try this out but maybe we should do it at the state level before we go straight for nationals, maybe put together an internet commercial then find out how much local TV stations would charge to run it. Then we can go for donations under a non profit org. I can set that part of it up, but I dont know about makeing the film.

[quote name='Horsefeathers!']

I would love to see a public education campaign, but is there ANY way we can consider this and leave PETA out of it (not that they'd be interested)? :-?

[/quote]

What is another group we could approach? The ASPCA?

What is that group of actors for animals called?There are a bunch of actors who are like, animal advocates. Someone help me out here. :roll: :)

Deepsea, I don't know that the TRUTH ads were part of the settlement, per se, but I do believe that was part of what the powers that be decided to do with those funds. Since I live so close to Tallahassee, that was the big talk at the time when all of this tobacco settlement stuff was going down. Of course, now that I'm curious and not entirely positive, I'll add this to my list of things to check out.

I know Phillip Morris has done some educational "appeasement" campaigns, but I didn't think they funded any of the TRUTH ads directly. As sick as I have been of seeing them (when it's the ONLY commercial shown for several hours at a time and they show the same one at every break), I wish one would come on now where I could see. I have a hard time thinking PM would directly and voluntarily fund TRUTH despite their other ads I've seen.

I really should pay more attention to my local news when it's happening. :-?

[quote name='corgilady']
What is that group of actors for animals called?There are a bunch of actors who are like, animal advocates. Someone help me out here. :roll: :)[/quote]

Corgi,is it "Actors and Others for Animals" that you were trying to think of ?
Here is their site url :

[url]http://www.actorsandothers.com/[/url]

Also ,isn't Bob Barker from The Price is Right a big spay/neuter advocate??My 5 year old son watches that show like a religion and I seem to remember a "help control the pet population" blurb at the end of every show....maybe he's affiliated with "Actors and Others"???...

ok.....I did some checking, and Bob Barker apparently does public service announcements for "ISAR"(International Society for Animal Rights)Is anyone here a member????

Here is their spay neuter campaign summary:

About ISAR Campaigns:

ISAR is the only organization dedicated solely to fighting the tragic pet overpopulation problem and ending the agony animals endure because of it. ISAR advocates the only sensible solution: spaying and neutering all pets. ISAR's campaigns are all designed with one goal in mind, and that is to raise public awareness about the importance of spaying/neutering pets.

Education Is The Key

Education is key to impacting any social issue and pet overpopulation is no exception. Before we can hope to foster change in society, we must make people aware of the problem and its solution

Oh gosh guy, this makes me so happy :D I hate the feeling I get when I think of all the poor dogs/cats out there without a home, I feel so helpless, even if I adopted as many as I could afford, it wouldn't even make a dent. Thanks for commenting about PETA horsefeathers, I'm always afraid they are the only organization out there working for animal welfare. I'm gald that smooshie knew of another organiztation. I'm always afraid that because of my profession I will have a hard time finding an organization that I can really get behind. I'll check into the organiztion that smooshie recommended and browse around on the web for some other groups to contact.