Dogomania

Pets of the Past

Carolk9s

Last time I was home, my mom found this OLD photo of our St. Bernard and the cat who loved dogs. The dog is Freckles aka Freckle Fathead and the cats name was Stinky. He was an intact male, so the name fit! This photo is over 25 years old so the quality aint great but I hope you get a smile from it.
[img]http://members.toast.net/agilk9s/Freckles_and_Stinky.JPG[/img]

Guest Anonymous

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww....................
They are so cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya, they are soooo comfortable toghether! WOW! And the way the Saint is lying down is too cute!

MORE THAN 25 YEARS OLD??????????

WOW! Were they like your "childhood" dogs?
The pic IS good by the way.....doesn't seem bad to me... :D

Thanx for sharing.....

I'm sure K really loved seeing that Pic!LOL! :D

Right K?

Thanks all, a little background on the animals.
My sisters (at the time) fiancee bought her the Saint as a puppy from a pet store. :x
Kinda pissed my mother off but she didn't want to blast the guy after the fact. My mom and my aunt had already been kicked out of Dokters (sp?) Pet stores for warning people where the pups came from.
We were not sure Freckles was purebred Saint, she was somewhat small for a Saint although she could send any of us flying by doing a run-by body slam. She was a great good natured dog for the most part, neighborhood kids would come over to play with her, she was always gentle with them. She'd make up for that by running her family down in the yard later. :D She did snap at my mom ONCE. Silly mom was trying to get Freckles to come inside the house, it was late and our dogs never spent the night outside. Freckles ran into the dog house, didn't want to come in. Mom reached in to take her collar, Freckles snapped at her. Mom was MAD now, reached back in, Freckles opened her mouth, mom grabbed dogs tongue and pulled her out of the doghouse. Freckles never tried to bite again and spent the next day kissing up to mom.
Stinky the cat loved to hang out with the dogs. He spent time up on the doghouse basking in the sun alongside either Freckles or Pepper. He and Pepper-a mixed breed with who knows what in him, used to literally roll around the living room floor in mock battle. Pepper would poke Stinky in the hiney with his nose, Stinky would wrap his paws around Peppers head and play bite. They never hurt each other and after playing would snooze side by side. Perhaps Stinky was confused as to his species? :lol:
Anyone else has photos and stories of the pets that helped shape your childhood? Would love to see them!

[img]www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?selected=101003[/img]
very old photo must be 48 years old of my grandmother's dog Shandy and her cat, sorry it's only their backs Shandy loved me going to visit he would run round and round in circles in front of me.Paddy does the same now either when I get in from work or when he knows I am about to take them all out. As Paddy is doing it I remember Shandy all those years ago

Great story Sasha :D ...I think Carol is right....strays always seem to know whose doorstep to end up on. My parents live way out in the country, but every homeless and injured animal in the area seems to find its way to my dad......I think they KNOW he can't say no to them.He's harbored everything from abandoned dogs to baby deer...

Well, I MUST be on a nostalgia kick, found another old photo. This one is my brothers dog Snappy and my sisters kitten P.J. Snappy was a shepherd mix, born under a car at a lot. Mama dog was a stray that snuck in to have her babies. All the pups and mom found a home. My brother was 8 or 9 that year, Snappy was (of all things :D ) a Christmas present! Snappy may have 'belonged' to my brother but he gave his heart to my mom. He was with us for 14 years.
P.J. was a Himalayan kitten, his life was not so long, he had a heart defect.
You can see who ruled here! Hm, maybe he was just giving the dog an eye exam?
[img]http://members.toast.net/agilk9s/Snappy_and_P.J..JPG[/img]