Dogomania

breeding border collie

Guest Anonymous

Oh she will know what to do all right, you will have trouble keeping the men from the door... but if this is her first season then surely she is too young to be bred from? I believe, from what I've read, the ideal age for bitches to become pregnant is 2 yrs and no younger. :-?

OK, here we go. Her first time? Do you mean her first season? Why (oh why) do you want to breed her? Who do you plan on breeding her to? Another border collie? How old is the intended stud dog? Are you going to keep all the puppies and care for them always?
To answer your question, some females will be willing to breed when their internal time is right, some won't.
NOT intending to be mean but it really sounds like you have a LOT to learn before venturing into the breeding of any dogs. It should not be entered into lightly or with little information.
The short list includes: The health and age of your female. What health checks has she had and PASSED. Is she a pet? A showdog? A working dog? Same for the intended stud. How many puppy homes do you have lined up? How many will still actually want a puppy once they are born? How will the puppies live? In loving homes? Working homes? Will you be able and willing to take a pup back if the home does not work out?
Why don't you provide more info like how she is, what makes her so very special that you want to breed her, perhaps risk her life, bring more puppies into an already overcrowded pet world?

well said Carol... I am with you on the breeding thing... there are so many dogs out there who don't have homes because not enough people have put any thought into breeding. It's very upsetting to go into a shelter and see all those little faces begging you to take them home with you... :(

Guest Anonymous

Oh, please don't breed your BC. Not to be mean, but very evidently from your post, you have no idea of what's involved in raising a dog and much less about breeding one. BC's, as in the case of most purebred dogs have many hereditary problems for which they must be tested. NO DOG, MALE OR FEMALE UNDER THE AGE OF 2 SHOULD EVER BE BRED! They are pups themselves. Breed specific tests for hereditary illnesses are very expensive, but breeding is a very expensive venture. Most of these tests cannot be done until the dog is age 2 (maturity). Unless your BC has been evaluated by an experienced breeder/one who shows their dogs in competition, conformation, agility, etc. and has been deemed to be of breeding quality (the only reason to breed is for the betterment of the breed - no reputable breeder ever makes money - costs of raising a litter is astronomical), have her spayed before she reaches her first heat. Are you willing to take a chance on loosing your female while giving birth and also risk the chance of loosing the mom and the entire litter. BC's are wonderful, extremely bright dogs who must be owned by people who will give them jobs to do. They are not couch potatoes. I could go on and on about why NOT to breed her, but in your situation my main reason is that you have no knowledge of your breed in general. You have a lot of reading to do on this breed. Please have her spayed which will prevent cancer of her reproductive organs.

Guest Anonymous

I am a friend of the person who wrote the original megdog post, and I was so upset with the replies I read, that I joined just to write to you people, and say that firstly the dog is 3 years old and this is not her first season, but her first time of breeding. Secondly this person has taken the dog to the vet four times in the last month to discuss breeding with them.
Thirdly megdog already has two people lined up with stud border collies who have breed before. Fourthly megdog, is more than financial able to care proper care of mum and pups and lives on a rural property, and has already lined up some resonsible dog owners of near by farms that would be interested in buying a pup. And thirdly many years ago megdog had a rough collie that had pups, and cared for them responsibly and had no trouble selling them, it is just the first time with this dog. I understand that the post was worded badly as it sounded like her first season, but it is not!! It is just the first time breeding. These people have owned dogs all there life and are animal lovers. They have all taken good care of there pets, and are not the sort of people who would enter this decision lightly.This is also the first message board megdog has ever joined since owning a computer and was nervous doing it as the technology is new to them. The question was a way of breaking ice and getting to know people. I am sure they have now been put off message boards for life!!
SO GET A LIFE AND STOP BEING SO RUDE UNLESS YOU KNOW THE FULL STORY! :mad:
These accusations are extremely hurtful and untrue.
I think you owe my friends an apology - If I were them I would nt come back!!!!

[quote name='Anonymous']I am a friend of the person who wrote the original megdog post, and I was so upset with the replies I read, that I joined just to write to you people, and say that firstly the dog is 3 years old and this is not her first season, but her first time of breeding.
[b]Was not clear in original post, questions were asked what was meant by 'first time'.[/b]

Secondly this person has taken the dog to the vet four times in the last month to discuss breeding with them.
[b]Then why is megdog asking these questions on a dog board that may or may not have the answers the vet should be providing?[/b]

Thirdly megdog already has two people lined up with stud border collies who have breed before. Fourthly megdog, is more than financial able to care proper care of mum and pups and lives on a rural property, and has already lined up some resonsible dog owners of near by farms that would be interested in buying a pup. And thirdly many years ago megdog had a rough collie that had pups, and cared for them responsibly and had no trouble selling them, it is just the first time with this dog. I understand that the post was worded badly as it sounded like her first season, but it is not!!
[b]Yes, their post WAS worded badly, that is what we had to work with and that is what we based our responses on. [/b]

It is just the first time breeding. These people have owned dogs all there life and are animal lovers. They have all taken good care of there pets, and are not the sort of people who would enter this decision lightly.This is also the first message board megdog has ever joined since owning a computer and was nervous doing it as the technology is new to them. The question was a way of breaking ice and getting to know people. I am sure they have now been put off message boards for life!!
SO GET A LIFE AND STOP BEING SO RUDE UNLESS YOU KNOW THE FULL STORY! :mad:
[b]The 'full' story was actually requested. [/b]

These accusations are extremely hurtful and untrue.
[b]WHAT ACCUSATIONS WERE MADE? Please point them out from the above posts.[/b]

I think you owe my friends an apology - If I were them I would nt come back!!!![/quote][b][/b][b]
No apology here, the question asked by megdog sounds like it came from a young person with VERY LITTLE knowledge of breeding. No one slammed him/her in my opinion.
Gee, I think YOU need to get a life and reread the posts in reply to Megdog, NO ONE ACCUSED him/her of anything, all offereded advice and answers, thats all. I even requested that megdog provide more info so a more detailed response could be made. [/b]

Guest Anonymous

didnt you accuse my friends of bringing dogs into an over populated doggy world? What do you think they're going to do? Have puppies them dump them!
bk blue said made a comment about people not putting thought into it when they have. and guested pat accused them of having no knowledge of the breed, and no idea what was involved in caring for a dog.
Wouldnt you call that an acussation? they care for there dog perfectly well.
Yes more story was requested I agree, but they were so taken aback at the post, they were to upset to reply.
They had a blood test down by the vet this week which told them the levels were at 18 and could possible be to late for breeding that is more what they were wondering.
You must admit reading the post that it sounds like you all think they are horrible irresponsible owners who would bring dogs into the world without any thought or care for mum and pups
they are not. I think the word "bandwagon" was mentioned in a post, that seems like a slam to me.
They have never used a computer, and I stupidly suggested they join a group to meet people with similar interests. I hurriedly told them to type a question so they could learn how to use boards.

[quote name='Anonymous']I am a friend of the person who wrote the original megdog post, ...

And thirdly many years ago megdog had a rough collie that had pups, and cared for them responsibly and had no trouble selling them, it is just the first time with this dog. [color=red][b]Maybe, because of their post, [i]"Will my border collie know when the time is right for her to mate, when she is in season. It is her first time"[/i]., many thought they were first time dog owners/breeders. If their rough Collie had pups before, why are they just now asking this question?[/b][/color]

These people have owned dogs all there life and are animal lovers. They have all taken good care of there pets, and are not the sort of people who would enter this decision lightly.[/quote] [color=red][b]Again, if they have owned dogs [i]"all there (their) life", [/i]why are they just NOW asking this question? This is not the type of question that is normally asked by an experienced person that has had pups before. By the post there was no way of knowing anything other than .... a person going by Megdog, wanting to know IF THE [u]FEMALE[/u] WILL KNOW THE RIGHT TIME to breed?[/b][/color]

GOSH, if megdog has bred dogs before and knows all about breeding, why is she/he asking if the bitch will know when the time is right?I'm not saying that he/she shouldn't ask questions, but isn't it kinda weird if somebody's already bred before but doesn't know an answer to one of the most basic questions?

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='megdog']Will my border collie know when the time is right for her to mate, when she is in season. It is her first time. :o[/quote]

Maybe your post should have went a little something like this:::::::::::

[b]I have a 3 yr old Border Collie. I have taken her to the vet and had all health checks done on her and they say it may be to late to breed her. Is there a chance that it might not be. I have had pups before (Rough Collie)
but am not sure about this. I have 2 studs lined up and appropriate homes for all pups. I would appreciate any and all advice.[/b]

Just some advice..Wording things correctly stops alot of things.. There are numerous people here with a ton of information and knowledge..Stay and share and let them share...if you want... :wink:

Exactly, if you give a detailed question you will receive a detailed response... I fail to see how I could glean any sort of information from your first post megdog. My comment about people not researching breeding properly was a generalisation- because so many don't care about it, that's why we have so many unwanted dogs and breed-specific genetic problems- because many dogs are bred indiscriminately. If you have bred responsibly in the past then surely you know that the millions of dogs destroyed year in year out is a huge problem. :o

[quote name='K']I am a bit sus that Megdog and guest are one and the same :-?[/quote]

You took the words right outta my mouth K!!! :o

OK, Megdog, and Guest (or are you the same person???),

It goes like this....U asked us a Q we Answered...RIGHt??????????
Wasn't that what we were supposed to do???????????????????????

YOU haven't been here long enough so here:

At this forum, we are allowed to share our opinions.....it a PUBLIC forum.....DUHH! That was what we think of your post. You really should have put it the way Jacsmom put it. THEN we'd understand. I mean HOW are we supppposed to know that u r a responsible breeder??? You put it in such a way that it's UNunderstandble!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :x

Plz, if U were in our place, don't you think you wouldv'e said the same thing??????????????????????????

Aw, COME ON! U don't mean to say u would have said"
Yes, she is ready, she will know. "BTW u r the greatest breeder in the world and it is soooo cool that you have bred a Ruogh Collie!!"

NO????????????????????

THEN DON'T SLAM US WHEN WE WERE TRYING TO GIVE UR FRIEND(OR U) SOME ADVISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This place is really informative and nice. The ppl here are friendly and sweet. We disscuss issues and debate... we'd really like 2 have u here(if u apologise for SLAMMING us) and it ould be a real shame for you to leave cuz you'll miss out on a a lot of stuff.......

SO it's not OUR prob u (or ur friend) wrote the post incorrectly IS IT?????????????????????????????????

So just [color=red]live[/color] with it!
OK?????

BTW: I'm really angry now cuz the ppl U were accusing of "slamming" are MY FRIENDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!They NEVER "slam" anyone and are the NICEST SWEETEST COOLEST DOGGIE PPL IN THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :mad: :evil: :mad:

So you be mean to MY friends...u bei'n mean to me.....and THAT's not good... :evil: :evil: :mad: :mad: :evilbat:

Members: OWWWWWWW! MY FINGERSS! I was soo mad i used 2 fingers and now they are sore. DON'T let ANY1 say you slam cuz you don't and everyone...

[color=blue][size=7][b]LUVS YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [/b][/size][/color]
phew!

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I have seen a lot of false accusations going around this message board in so little time. Most people breeding their dogs are sure to have been doing their homework. They may be too lazy to type up the whole story of their lil doggy, but I know that everyone knows about this whole helping stop dog over population thing and if someone wants to breed their dog and they come here, I bet they have a very good reason to. They are doin their hw by coming here and I think we should all help out when there is a question that needs to be answered before it's too late. Let's stop all to "rude" accusations here, right? :lol:

Guest Anonymous

oo, okay, i guess i'm wrong, but everyone that [i]I know do their homework lots and lots. But i'm just sayin, people that come here, for questions are most likely to be "good" people you know what i'm sayin? I'm sure that almost all of us here are dog lovers and try our best.[/i]

Guest Anonymous

Also, I would like to add, I'm sorry if I made any bad advice here, but I'm juss sayin what I think but none of you have to agree with me. I joined this msg board to learn more because I know that there is an unlimited amount of knowledge to be gained about this topic so I appreciate it that you guys are sharing with me your past experiences and everything you know!!

[quote name='newfiemom'] I can almost bet my four dogs <snip>[/quote]

Newfie! No no! :lol:

Bliss, you are right about one thing; we ARE lazy about typing out a whole story sometimes. At least I am! As far as the rest, I can only say... the person never came back so it looks like we were taken for a ride again, friends. :roll:

[quote name='sashagirl']Thank you Newfiemom!!! I agree. And I also think that by telling people to find a mate for their dog at a dog park is not helping either!!! :roll:[/quote]

With you on this one.....(I posted to the other thread but the gremlins ate it, the post disappeared --- maybe it will find it's way back?)

Geez, girls --- lets just all load up in the back of the pickup and go down to the Wal-mart store parking lot with a sign that says:

[b][i][color=red]"need to breed to a **insert whatever breed you want** to have lots of puppies, no need to look at the pedigree because...I DON'T CARE". [/color][/i][/b]

Guest Anonymous

Okay I was reading a paper yesterday (dogs for sale) and I run across this ad:
Labrador Puppies for sale 2 Litters to choose from. AKC Registered. DNA certified litters.[b]Parents yes. Pups no[/b] Very large blocky heads. Chocolates, Blacks, Blondes[b]duh Yellow[/b] and very rare brindle.Very affectionate! Parents on site. Deposit will hold.

[color=red]Now you want to talk about mad that was me when I got to the BRINDLE and VERY RARE part!! Brindle is not a rare color..it a chromosome mutation.. BUT hey if they can make a buck... :x [/color]

[b]Now do I believe people should type the whole story on a dog when they have a question on breeding????? Yep I sure do.....
Why you ask??
Well here are my reasons..(This maybe harsh soooo)
*You are getting ready to bring LIVES into this world that you are responsible for.
*You are possibly going to lose your female in birth if you do not research whelping
*There are tests that need to be done on certain breeds to prevent the spread of hereditary and genetic diseases
*Age of dogs should always be considered in breeding
*What is your dog going to contribute to the breed (there are numerous dogs in the shelters now that someone thought would be a genius idea to breed)
*What advice can be given if you say I have a dog and a bitch can I breed?? Heck the vet cannot even give advice on that!!!!!!

Breeding is a serious thing that is taken to lightly tooo many times.... If it takes someone 2 hours to type their question and a brief detail then do it... Because if that is too long for their dog that they love and think is good enough to breed then IMO they do not need to breed.. I do not mind one bit helping nor does anyone on this board..You have to have the heart, the time, the knowledge, the will.... [/b]

Okay I know I am going on and on but Gosh UUUUURRRRGGGGGGG

[color=red][i]Now you want to talk about mad that was me when I got to the BRINDLE and VERY RARE part!! Brindle is not a rare color..it a chromosome mutation.. BUT hey if they can make a buck... [/i][/color]

Jacsmom ---- you are getting into this genetics thing!! Yippee-Yay for you! I'm glad I helped you convert to my nerd side. :wink: :wink:

I would more likely think that there was another sire in the woodpile. OUCH, that was hateful of me....I'm trying to be less cynical than Horsefeathers! haha. Cynical --- doesn't that sound like a laxative?? :D

Rare, medium well.....just how do you like your steak? Oh--way off topic.

Seriously, the miss colored pup is more than likely sired by a different sire. OR it could very well be a mutation ---- regardless, this pup should be sold as pet quality and spayed or neutered.

I don't blame you Jacsmom for being mad --- it's people like this that hurt the Lab as a breed.