Dogomania

why? Why?? WHY?!?!

Horsefeathers!

My dog is pottying in the house. I should...  

1. 1. My dog is pottying in the house. I should...

• * beat him
    • * rub his nose in it
    • * smack my forehead and curse under my breath
    • * yank up all carpet, install tile throughout and have a mop bucket in every room
    • * give up and hope he'll eventually figure it out

Housebreaking... such a simple thing when you've had a gazillion dogs. I have had (and still have) dogs of varying breeds, raised from puppies, adopted as adults, intact, spayed/neutered... yup, I thought I was an old pro. Now we have Perry. That's the Standard Poodle I adopted about three weeks ago. For the first couple of weeks, this dog wouldn't dream of pottying in the house. Prior to rescue, he was in a kennel for three years, so I never expected him to be potty trained. Still, that first couple of weeks, we were so impressed at the way he would trot to the door when he needed to go out. Now, for whatever reason, his logic has turned. He absolutely refuses to potty outside if he can help it. No, he saves it until he comes back IN.

Ok, let me illustrate. The scene goes like this. Perry starts pacing around the house looking kinda serious. I know that sign, so I whoosh him to the door. He bounds to the door happily as if he's ready to go, but the minute it opens, he turns tail back into the house like he's saying, "I don't frickin' think so, man!" So, me being the dedicated owner and all, I grab his leash which excites him even more (he thinks we're going somewhere) and he does his pretty little sit thingy while I hook him up. I lead him out the door and into the yard and unhook the leash. He hauls @$$ back up the steps to the house. Fine. I hook him back up and we walk and walk and walk and walk and stand for a minute and walk some more and stare off into space and walk again and still NOTHING. He absolutely refuses to potty on a leash and is beginning to refuse to potty in the yard at all. This has not been a problem for the first two weeks. Anyway, I give up, thinking maybe I misread him and let him back into the house. He races up the stairs as fast as he can and instantly PEES IN MY FLOOR!!! I don't get it. It's not the typical male leg lifting, marking behavior and he doesn't seem to prefer any one spot over another, so it's not that I'm not removing enough "scent" to deter him. No, at this point, I'm about to remove flooring from all the scrubbing. Besides (again), he does not have a particular favorite spot. It's like he's outside pacing around saying, "OH MY GOD, WILL SOMEONE PUHLEEZE OPEN THE DOOR SO I CAN GO INSIDE... I GOTTA PEEEEEE!!!"

I have not had to do the crate thing with him in regard to housetraining and he is with me virtually 24/7. I take him with me to work and we only eat out at dog friendly places (places with outside tables and such), so he can go with us. He never potties when we are "out"... not even during the 10 or so hours I'm gone to work, not so much as a leg lift against a tree, though I turn him out each day in a fenced courtyard to do his doody (or ANYTHING). No, he saves it until he is home and safely in the house. What's the deal with this?! Is he just modest and afraid someone is going to see him and point and laugh, or what? The thing is he seems to not be catching on that he's doing it all wrong. He pees right in front of me and just smiles as if it's what I told him to do. My response has been this... run like h*ll to try to get him out the door. I'd praise him profusely there if he'd frickin' GO!!! I don't get it. He's such an intelligent dog and catches on to things so quickly. He is becoming a whiz (no pun intended) in obedience. Somewhere along the way, he has gotten the idea that he's supposed to potty inside. I don't know where he gets that. He's never seen ME do it and if anyone is going to suggest that I squat in my yard to show him where to go (I saw that advice somewhere... can you imagine), please know that I have neighbors who already think I'm off my rocker for doing the Umbatoo War Dance (don't ask) in my back yard. I'm sure me peeing for my dog in my yard would be the last straw.

Anyway, what now? This beats all I ever saw. I've housetrained a ton of dogs ranging from puppies to adults and have never seen anything like this. No matter how long he is outside, or whether I put him out and watch through the window and leave him alone, or stay in the yard with him, he will hold it until he's inside. As far as I know, nothing traumatic has happened to him outside. I'm assuming that being kenneled his whole life has made him used to pottying where he has to live. Tell me what to do. Am I not beating him right? Ok, just kidding. There have been beatings, alright. Me beating my head on the wall. Help? :multi:
[img]http://groups.msn.com/isapi/fetch.dll?action=MyPhotos_GetMBPhoto&ImageID=nEQDbdysGXjMqJQO8VWWPci7r9FqUFwEml9xz52NTI6tvYAecdndHbg[/img]

Oh but he's so cuuuuuute. (that's what people say to me about my newest little terror. Just thought I would pass it on.) he's adorable....just look how he poses for the camera.

I voted to rip up the carpet and put a mop in every room. That's what I have decided to do.

Are you sure you aren't out there showing him how to pee outside????Maybe it's a little scarey! :lol:

Have you carried the paper towels out that you cleaned the pee up with, so he gets the scent out there?

Good luck!!!!!!!!! These things can be hard to figure out....[img]http://freeze.mongtastic.be/files/emoticons4u/crazy/1088.gif[/img]

[quote name='Horsefeathers!']Housebreaking... such a simple thing...

This has not been a problem for the first two weeks.

He pees right in front of me and just smiles as if it's what I told him to do.

Umbatoo War Dance (don't ask) in my back yard.

I'm assuming that being kenneled his whole life has made him used to pottying where he has to live.
[img]http://groups.msn.com/isapi/fetch.dll?action=MyPhotos_GetMBPhoto&ImageID=nEQDbdysGXjMqJQO8VWWPci7r9FqUFwEml9xz52NTI6tvYAecdndHbg[/img][/quote]

I think he pees in front of you because he isn't afraid of you and he's used to doing this in the kennel --- and he thinks he's being good and doing the right thing. This is good, because you don't want him sneaking around and peeing in places that you find later.

Umbatoo War Dance --- did this involve a live chicken and peach preserves?

I think you are totally correct that being kennelled in entire life, he just doesn't know any different. That was THREE YEARS of repetition! He done okay for the first 2 wks because he didn't know HE LIVED there. It was new and he thought he was visiting, NOW he KNOWS this is his home and THIS ..... his home ..... is where he uses the bathroom, because he has been doing it for the past 3 years.

Advice: man this is going to take time. He is smart and will catch on, eventually. I guess staying outside is not an option? What about for a while? Part-time? Just long enough to redirect his thinking that OUTSIDE is where he lives? Since he's backward in his thinking, not any fault of his, this may work.

Patience.......repetition....... a thought, if you crate him >> he'll just go in the crate, you think??

Carpet feels like grass --- soft and cushey; of course where she's used to using the restroom (so it's hard for a dog to distinguish between the two and it confuses them, so they go on the carpet).

Hardwood floors feels like concrete --- hard & cool; where she isn't used to going.

I read this in a book about dog behavior.

Personally, I give dogs alot more credit; they know the difference between carpet and grass >> as they don't eat the carpet... :o Okay, SOME don't eat the carpet! :wink:

[quote name='Hobbit'][quote name='Horsefeathers!']Housebreaking... such a simple thing...

This has not been a problem for the first two weeks.

He pees right in front of me and just smiles as if it's what I told him to do.

Umbatoo War Dance (don't ask) in my back yard.

I'm assuming that being kenneled his whole life has made him used to pottying where he has to live.
[/quote]

I think he pees in front of you because he isn't afraid of you and he's used to doing this in the kennel --- and he thinks he's being good and doing the right thing. This is good, because you don't want him sneaking around and peeing in places that you find later.

Umbatoo War Dance --- did this involve a live chicken and peach preserves?

I think you are totally correct that being kennelled in entire life, he just doesn't know any different. That was THREE YEARS of repetition! He done okay for the first 2 wks because he didn't know HE LIVED there. It was new and he thought he was visiting, NOW he KNOWS this is his home and THIS ..... his home ..... is where he uses the bathroom, because he has been doing it for the past 3 years.

Advice: man this is going to take time. He is smart and will catch on, eventually. I guess staying outside is not an option? What about for a while? Part-time? Just long enough to redirect his thinking that OUTSIDE is where he lives? Since he's backward in his thinking, not any fault of his, this may work.

Patience.......repetition....... a thought, if you crate him >> he'll just go in the crate, you think??[/quote]

Well... I followed your advice and put his as.... errrrrr him out da door. Seriously, he absolutely seems to dread going outside unless he thinks we are going somewhere. The sad part is I've had to hook a run up and tie him out :( . We have a fenced yard, but when outside, he will only run back up the stairs and stay on the step indefinitely. We hooked up a run between a couple of trees and ran a cable from a little ticker wheel on it to hook to his collar. He has about 50 ft length and 20 ft width he can run, so he's not just tied in one spot. Oh, and we haven't banished him there. Nothing sadder than a Standard tied outside :-? . Anyhoo, we have been tying him there to eat (on one end) and leaving him there until he does his bid'ness (other end), trying to give him the idea that that is part of his home, too. Also, he gets LOTS of treats and petting and gushing while he's out there, trying to make it a positive thing instead of a punishment. He's probably tied there about an hour or two out of the day and is loose in the fenced portion of the yard about 4-5 hours a day. I'm hoping this will help. So far, so good, but I have been REALLY diligent with him in the house, monitoring his every move. When he starts pacing around in the house (basically every minute he is not asleep), I hook his leash to me and he is tied to me so that I can react quickly to any ummm crises that erupt. All I have to do is run for the door and he has no choice but to go with me. However, I haven't needed to do that since doing this. Maybe if I'm diligent enough, he'll catch on. :-?
Thanks for everystuff.

Oh, and as for the ritualistic Umbatoo War Dance.... it is designed to make pesky neighbors think you're insane. I'll have to share it with you sometime. :grab:

LOL HORSEFEATHERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Anyway, i'd agree with Hobbit in this situation....

never heard anything like it :-?

PERRY IS SOO CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Anyway...I know it has nothing to do about the topic :oops:

BUT I really like your sig...i also liked the other one....the one with the Poodle! :D

Where do you get yours from? Can you please tell me? Cuz I want one with a Golden Retriever! :D