Dogomania

To collar or not to collar?

bk_blue

I'm moving house in a few weeks and knucklehead BK is coming with me. I wouild like to get everyone's opinions on whether I should get a collar with ID for him as he is a bit of an escape artist, despite all our best efforts (he can dig out a bluestone block embedded in the ground from the OTHER side of the fence, no worries). He does not wear a collar at the moment but is microchipped. The only thing stopping me from getting one is that I have heard stories about dogs getting caught on their collars while in the backyard and being choked to death. I think the prospect of him getting out and getting run over (the house is a block away from two busy roads) probably outweighs the small risk of his collar snagging on something, would that be right? Just want to know what you guys think. ;)

Neither of my dogs ever wear a collar when they are in the backyard, I think the whole collar mark thing that happens with their fur doesn't look nice and I also just prefer to keep them uncollard. Lily has a name tag on her collar so that when we're walking if she gets away whoever finds her can return her straight away. Of course they are both microchipped.
I suggest if you're worried about bk that you get him a name tag and keep it on him for a few weeks just until you know if he'll find a way out or not.

Is Duck too young to be microchiped?Cuz I want her to be, but she looks so..so..SMALL..I dunno.Is there a minimum age for microchipping?And what's the earliest age for spaying?It's so cool here dogs from shelters are microchipped for free!I think it's weird though.They have money to do free microchipping but not enough money to provide better cages and maybe even airconditioning.The place is all dirty and flooded with water, and theres always lots of flies..bad shelter.. :-?

Egg- I think there are different rules for different countries re: spaying. Some countries or vets do it before the first heat, others after. There is a post currently running about this, I forget which one though :oops:
The shelter I got Blitz from microchips and vaccinates for "free"- the cost of it is included in the price of the dog when you buy him/her, we got BK for $US50 but the price has about doubled now- rising costs of running a humane, healthy, clean shelter I suppose. I'm not sure about the age for microchipping but I assume it can be done at any age, all it involves (I think) is a needle which injects the chip under the skin. ;) I believe they "expire" after a number of years (here in Oz anyway), BK needs to have his done again soon! Before I move!!! :D

I would imagine your dog would be safer in a collar during and shortly after a move. I do think the chances of a dog getting their collar hung and strangling are small however, you can do a few things to tip the odds even more in your favor. You can purchase break away collars, HOWEVER, if he escaped and someone was able to grab hold of the collar, should he pull hard, collar will break away. Same thing with a collar that is part thick elastic, he might just back out of it. You should also inspect his new yard, get down to his level and look for potential problems, anything that might snag should he push against it or into it. There are also martingale type collars that will only tighten to a set point, not enough to strangle a dog as long as the collar has not been severely twisted in the process. You may want to consider getting your dog tattooed, not all chip readers are the same and not all places have readers. I like the idea of microchips but they are far from fool proof. A tattoo can be seen and read by anyone with sight. Of course once tattooed you must register the tattoo/dog with a reliable registry. I cannot remember, are you in the States? If so, National Dog Registry at [url]http://www.natldogregistry.com/[/url]
is one such.
Lastly, as soon as possible, take your dog out on leash in the new neighborhood and let them scent mark. Fill 'em up with water first! :D Encourage them to mark in your own yard in a few different places. Walk them along the side of the road, if there is a telephone pole at the corner, even storm drain areas. Of course you don't let them pee in your neighbors yards! :lol: If your dog escapes, maybe a scent trail will lead them back.

Oh, here I go again...! :D
The house is actually my nanna's old house- but I can't take him over yet because the girl who I am replacing has got a kitten who would probably die of shock if confronted with Mr Sweaty-Toothed Mad Dog. :wink: She is supposed to be leaving at the end of the week, and then I can take him round to the place and get him used to it, to acclimatise in a way. I'm going to move in first, and do the whole yard-checking thing, then when it is dogproofed move him in too.
We have a similar thing here- National Pet Registry- which he is registered with, and the shelter he was adopted from has his microchip records. I will also look into the tattooing- I'm sure there must be a registry, I'll ask tomorrow at obedience... thanks!

Being micro-chipped is a good idea ----

BUT, what if bk escapes and runs amuck and whomever finds the dog thinks that since he has no collar on that he is a dumped dog and decides to keep him? [color=red][size=2]Okay bk, stop dancing around.....they WILL bring him back after the first day!! hahahaha JUST JOKING!! [/size][/color]

OR what if the animal shelter does not have the chip reader?