Dogomania

Breeds meant for police work

deepseasnake

okay nobody answers these things when they are so far down on the list so I'm gonna repost, hehe

so who knows about police dogs?
I am interested in my local K9 unit as they have offerd me the opportunity to take one of their training courses. I am wondering about breeds and what they are specificaly good at, I read the boxers are great police dogs but Ive never seen one. I also remember talking about the Malinosis as being better cut out for a cop dog, but again never seen one. At workingpitbull.com she praises the pit bull's ability in the police field of work, but guess what....I've never seen one.
so what do you guys know, I'm assuming each dog has a handfull of traits that out do the others and that the GSD and Malinosis type dogs are just better rounded? But I also know once groups like cops and military find something that works they really stick with it instead of looking for new possiblities, so can you guys elaborate on some of the breeds I just mentioned and any others you know of, specificaly what they have done as far as police work

thanx :D

Guest Anonymous

Deep one that is used now is the Giant Schnauzer... There is one named Lugar who is in Walworth County (forgot the state) but he works for the sheriffs dept there and has accomplished alot.. Found a missing lady for one. Here is a link..

[url]http://www.beloitdailynews.com/198/elky31.htm[/url]

I know one county over they use Malinosis..Brother-in-law in law enforcement.. I will try to find something out for you..
I know they use Bloodhounds for drug detection along with Labs.

Guest Anonymous

[url]http://www.geocities.com/iredellk9unit/meetthek9unit.html[/url]

Ha found it!! Here is a link to Belgium Malinois in use!! This is the county my brother-In Law works for... I know for a fact that their bloodhound is excellent!! I have never had a chance to see their dogs at work or practice but I have never asked either!! We are working on getting Jac trained for Narcotics detection, tracking and getting him into work with the police dept. here.. We do not have any dogs in the police dept here but use the neighboring counties dogs.... My husbands cousin is a deputy sheriff and is going to help us with Jac!! Should be fun!!

I will see what else I find for ya!! :wink:

Guest Anonymous

[url]http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/dictionary/DictionaryResults.aspx?refid=1861686059[/url]

Here you go Deep..Sound effects and all!! WOOHOO!!
Mal-i-noy is correct according to the man on the wav..

Deep, I used to live near a training center for police dogs. They took dogs out there and evaluated them(I'm not sure what the evaluation entailed :lol: ). They often took dogs from the shelter (yay!) and tried them. I personally saw them take collie crosses, lab crosses, and rotties.

Sorry I don't have more info but I'm just saying, it exists so there must be SOME way to find out.

Deep it also depends on what type of work the dog is needed for. Like: is the dog for K-9/protection, Narcotics, or Tracking.

Mostly, you will not see a Lab being used for K-9/protection because their temperment is too kind.

K-9 (protection): Rotty, Dobe, GSD, Malinois, (the Belgian breeds).

Narcotics: Malinois, Lab, Golden Retrievers, GSD, Rotty's, (I've seen some mixes also used).

Tracking: Bloodhounds, Lab's

This is for the Texas area.

you have opened a whole can of well stuff. it all depends on what kind of work the dog is going to be doing. one of my best friends is a k9 unit. he uses a german shepard. we also use a rot. they dont have near as good of a sniffer as say a bloodhound. thats why they are used as tracking dogs often. but on the other hand the hounds are not as agile and smart as a shepard. i hope you see my point. at what age are you aloud to apply for an officer position in your state. anywhere i know of its 21.

All the Mal people I know say it like MAL-in-wah. I am on a belgian shepherd list and have seen many a post about the mis-pronunciation! Now can you say Tervuren? :D How about Groenendael? :D Even those of us who have the Groens sometimes mumble when we try and roll that one out.
One guy upon being told that the dog he just met was a Belgian Tervuren, yelled way over to his wife that the dog was a Belgium Treefern.
Here is a link to the American Belgian Malinios site [url]http://www.breedclub.org/ABMC.htm[/url]
Mali's are indeed a versatile breed that can exel in many areas.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='deepseasnake']thanx gals I knew someone would answer if I moved the post :)

It's my main order of buisness today to prove that boxers or bullboxers are cut out for all around police work. but I'm also interested in the malinosis

I already know by the time this thread is over I'll learn something big :D[/quote]

I suggest you hunt around for ringsport and schutzhund clubs trials etc in your area to see some different breeds working. I've seen some fabulous boxers at such events and some videos of the Malinois working too.
I know for example that once the Dane was used in police work but the problem was the breed members overall would grab the head of the perpetrator due to their size causing too much damage so smaller breeds became preferred that would hit on the arm with a less fatal or damaging bite.
Schnauzers can be sharp police dogs as can all the other mentioned breeds. GSD's seem to just live for the next order to come along ;-) and that makes them pretty suitable for the job.
A police dog should be able to take the person and hold them or disarm them or take them down - this might be an issue in a breed designed to grab hold and kill and to escallate easily once engaged vs a more steady temperament breed. The best police dogs are perfectly safe with people unless on command and working and seem like friendly pets when you meet them outside of their 'work'. Many police dogs seem lately to consist of dogs of lesser temperament who are more highly strung though when I see what the local police are using.
A friend had a Gordon Setter as an SAR dog. So like the others said it really depends on what job the dog will be doing.

I would have said Ma-lin-wah, only because it's the French way to pronounce it as opposed to saying it like Illinois...?
My Dutch ex had a Malinois (called Paris!)- she was the most sedate, laidback, unflappable dog. He pronounced it the French way too.
The police in my state use German Shepherds here, I have driven past their stud farm many times.
[url]http://www.police.vic.gov.au/showContentPage.cfm?contentPageId=3221[/url]
Beagles are used as sniffer dogs at the airport.

well, the age here is 21 mostly, but police departments provide their own insurance so its really up to the depatment whether they hire at 18 or 21 but most departments dont feel like 18 is a good age to be driving around at 120 MPH in a department cruiser, however a few cities do use 18 year olds but they are held to a greater standard than the rest.

oh and corgi I'm 20 in feb :D :oops: :)

and any liscensed officer can carry a gun regaurdless of age, as far as the federal law goes but as long as the state law is more stringent local law takes president, its up to the city to determine whether they licsence under 21 or not

in my bouncing around the local precincts I notice that almost all are looking for K9 officers and it also entitles a pay raise :D so I meantion to them all I'm interested in doing K9 work and they all recieve me quite well

The most common dogs used for police work (as in the actual capturing of criminal type stuff) are GSDs and recently more places are starting to use Malinois because it's getting harder to find stable, healthy GSDs. Other breeds that are less commonly seen are Boxers, Dobies, Rotties, Bouviers, and Giant Schnauzers. Some places are starting to use American Bulldogs, and there are a few that use APBTs. I might (probably :roll: ) be wrong, but I think most police dog training uses compulsion methods, which were/still are popular in Germany. I think that may be why the German/European breeds are better suited (in most cases) than other breeds. Most of the bully type breeds seem to like to play around and have fun more than the "working" types do, and can be harder to keep interested in the training. In addition to that, bully types are usually slow to mature, which means that more time would have to be spent on the dogs training/raising, which would mean more expense on the departments. You also have to consider the dogs' drives... the traditional "working breeds" seem to have more defense drive than the average APBT. That's not to say that there aren't APBTs out there that can do police work, but they're not as common as GSDs that can do police work.

[quote name='deepseasnake']however a few cities do use 18 year olds but they are held to a greater standard than the rest.
[/quote]
Deep my son is about one year younger than you [size=2]sheesh I am so old[/size] He is going thru that higher standard stuff and doing quite well. He wanted to be a cop too but right now he is an EMT. His mama thinks that is where he belongs, as his gift is helping others. They told him they thought he was "incompetent" to ride their trucks, etc....I would've walked out....but he calmly said, I ran my first emergency call when I was 15....etc Long story short, he's a favorite around there now.

[quote]oh and corgi I'm 20 in feb :D :oops: :) [/quote]

:D :D :D

I thought about the EMT thing to, but personaly feel its a "clean up" job in the sense that your not solving the problem just fixing what the monsters break, we need that, but we also need the ghostbusters or the guys who'll stop it from happening in the first place.
I just feel more called to police work than the fire department or EMT but with out EMT you have twice as many people dieing so either or its alot better than...........being in the air force :lol: