Dogomania

Multiple Fathers

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

A co-worker and I are trying to find out if it really is possible for a dog to have multiple fathers within a litter. I thought the reproduction system of a dog worked like a human... once their pregnant their pregnant. Any answers???

Guest Anonymous

Cats and dogs commonly can be impregnated by different fathers. Years ago I was shown a uterus of a cat which was pregnant when spayed. Inside it were kittens of two obviously different age groups.

I have also read medical documentation of human so called twins with different fathers.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='nicki']Cats and dogs commonly can be impregnated by different fathers. Years ago I was shown a uterus of a cat which was pregnant when spayed. Inside it were kittens of two obviously different age groups.
[/quote]

Nikki I have wondered about the age difference in pups as I had a Cocker in a litter 4 yrs ago that was what seemed to be 'premature' when compared to littermates. She was unable to suckle and feed and was bottle fed from then on. Only thing is it was one father! Go figure?!!:wink:

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='sandygirl']A co-worker and I are trying to find out if it really is possible for a dog to have multiple fathers within a litter. I thought the reproduction system of a dog worked like a human... once their pregnant their pregnant. Any answers???[/quote]
You are right and wrong :-) the once they are pregnant part is right but its before the eggs get fertilized the multiplicity comes in.
Humans can actually have fraternal twins sired by different dads :roll:
The mother dog during her heat cycle releases eggs from the ovaries which then travel down the fallopian tubes. Along the way they pair up with sperm - one egg + one sperm = one puppy. Eventually the fertilized ova implant in the uterine wall.
The dam will accept males to breed with slightly before and after ovulation takes place. Thus multiple males can 'donate' sperm to the fertilization process - how it is decided which sperm will be the one with which egg I think no one really knows (someone is probably working on that somewhere :wink: ) but as it happens if the dog (or the person) has two or more eggs ready at the time the sperm is added from two or more fathers each egg can theoretically link up with a sperm from a different father.
Cats actually can come 'in season' in seperate horns of their uterus at different times with eggs from the ovary on the side in season being released (there are two ovaries one left one right) so they can actually be carrying two litters of different ages at the same time. Makes me think kitten survival rate in the wild is lots lower than that of pups!
Probably more than you wanted to know :lol:

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

A woman can't be impregnated by more than one man at a time :o... don't ask me how I know this :oops:

A joke:

A local girl from Broadmeadows (insert your own drongo suburb here) goes to Centrelink to register for child care benefits.
"How many children?"
"Ten."
"Ten?!" says the council worker. "What are their names?"
"Wayne, Wayne, Wayne, Wayne, Wayne, Wayne, Wayne, Wayne, Wayne and Wayne."
"Doesn't that get confusing?"
"Nahhh..." says the Broady girl, "it's great because if they're out playing in the street I just have to yell "WAAYNE, YER DINNER'S READY" or "WAAAYNE, GO TO BED NOW' and they all do it."
"What if you want to speak to one individually?" asks the peturbed council worker.
"That's easy," says the Broady girl. "I just use their surnames."

• 1 month later...

Each puppy in a litter can have a different father. If there are ten puppies, and ten different males bred the b*tch then there can be ten different fathers. It will all depend on who's sperm is fastests, heartiest, etc. The only "limit" is set by how many eggs are available.

Yes this is an old post, but sometimes it is worth peeping at the old ones,
often subjects that have been covered many times come up again.

Also most members read all the orange pips :lol:

No need for sarcasm here :o
And welcome poofy :lol:
Roo