Dogomania

Pooh Bear's citronella collar isn't working any more

JackieMaya

Now when Pooh Bear gets barking at something, he just keeps barking, even with the citronella collar on. The spray obviously doesn't bother him any more, and I suppose he's figured out that once he empties the chamber, the spray is gone. So I'm going to have to come up with another way to stop his barking. :confused1:

I also need to work on his "come." When he's not focused on birds or squirrels or whatever, he comes great, but if he's really focused on something, I have to call the girls in, and then he follows.

In general, he's a very well-behaved little guy, but I still have a lot of training to do with him.

Okay, now I'm trying a different tactic with the barking. Every time Pooh Bear barks, I go "SHHHHHHHHHH" as loudly as I can. I do it at the same time as he's barking. It distracts him and he stops! I've been doing the "SHHHHHHHH" thing with Maya too, and it works pretty well.

So I'll let you know if my SHHHHHHHHer works!

I really hate to do it, but I'm going to have to go with the shock collar now. Pooh Bear gets so focused on the birds and squirrels that I just can't get him to stop. When he was sitting next to me, when he would bark, I would close his mouth with my hand and say "SHHHHHH", but when he's outside and sees the wild critters, he just can't help himself.

And I think I will give the neighbors a nice call and explain the situation. I'm very good at being civil (even if I don't feel civil).

Other than the barking, Pooh Bear is so well-behaved it's just amazing. He's only in the crate when I'm gone, and he's being just wonderful.

Wish me luck with the barking problem!

Ha haha, wouldn't that be great if you could shock the neighbor eveytime they tried to call the cops. HA, I love that one. I can see someone walking around with one of those collars on. :lol:

But realisticly you have to do what you have to do. Good luck and sorry you had to resort this far, but some dogs are stubborn!

I think most of the people in my neighborhood would like to put a shock collar ON THE HIGHEST SETTING on my neighbors!

Actually, I think I'm going to put off using the shock collar for now. Pooh Bear is having his surgery on Thursday, and I'll be having him out there on a leash for a little while after his surgery before I can let him run, so that will be a good time to practice the no barking when he's on the end of a leash! I hope there will be lots of squirrels and birds out then!

I hope all goes well with Pooh. I do not want to scare you in any way, like I said before Free has HD and I decided not to go through with the surgury I comend you! You have more courage than I. I am always scared of what if and suppose.... Good luck and God bless Pooh on Thursday. I will say a pray to St. Francis the patron Saint of Animals to watch over Pooh especially on Thursay. :wink: :angel:

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers for Pooh Bear.

I'm scared to death about the surgery. No surgery (or anesthesia) is guaranteed safe. But it just breaks my heart to see such a young happy puppy have such a terrible limp when he walks around. He can run real fast, but he limps terribly when he's walking. I just want him to be able to play and be happy and not be in pain -- for a LONG time.

When they sedated him for the last set of x-rays, it took him two days to recover from the anesthesia. I'm afraid to see how he'll be when they put him all the way under for the surgery.

I'll just have to think positive!