Dogomania

He eats too darn fast

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi there!
My 5 month old is somewhat of a picky eater. When he does eat, he eats so fast that he throws up. I've tried feeding him by hand but that takes up too much time. Do you think this could be the kibble that's making him do this? :-?

Maybe he's eating too much at once? How many times a day do you feed him? If you're already feeding him more than once, and he "gulps" big mouthfuls of food at a time, you might want to try sticking a 2-3" rubber ball into his food bowl with his food... he won't be able to bolt down big mouthfuls, because the ball will be in his way, and it may slow him down a little. This only works for some dogs though.

What is his vomit like? Sorry, I know that's a rather nasty thing to ask you to describe, but it would help explain why he does it.
If his vomit is partially undigested, with kibble pieces and long and almost ropey, he's both eating too fast and the kibble expands too much.

If that is the case, look for a higher quality kibble, such as Natural Balance, Nutro Naturals, Eagle, Wellness, Innova, California Naturals, Wysong to name a few ideas, that does not appear to be puffy when you look at the kibble. It should look like a nice dense kibble.

Then when eating, you can take some river rock type stones that you've run through the dishwasher on top of the food. Make sure they are far larger than your dog could ever eat. The 2 - 3 inch ball suggested above could be dangerous depending on the size of your dog. Make sure he can't swallow or choke on what you use. The rocks can be put back in the dishwasher over and over.

I sometimes place a tennis ball in the bowl of one of my greedy gut eaters. Unless you have a really large breed, the average sized dog isn't going to ingest a whole tennis ball. I sometimes will also put a particular greedymo dog in a crate and just scatter the food all over the place so that he has to pick it up piece by piece which slows him down, too. Of course, if you don't have multiple dogs competing for food, you can just scatter it out across the kitchen floor over a broader area and slow him down even more. Also, as mentioned above, feeding him smaller meals more frequently might help.

All this is assuming, of course, that the problem is that your dog is just simply eating too fast.

Another thing that works rather than the floor is a Cookie Sheet. Can't grab up a mouthful when it is scattered all over. A cookie sheet keeps the floor cleaner. Dog slobber on the floor attracts dirt like CRAZY. Dog knows us dog people have enought trouble keeping the floor clean as it is. :D

Black GSD, now I feel like a doddering old fool. I never even thought about the dog slobber on the floor. Before my little Goober died a few months ago, we always fed him on the floor one bite at a time (not that he was a fast eater... he had no lower jaw and couldn't pick up bites from a bowl, so we'd scoop out one mouthful at a time on the floor where he would "peck" it up kind of like a chicken :-? ). One of us always took a vinegar/water soaked rag and cleaned the floor afterward. Lol, I feel like a schmuck for not realizing that everyone might not care to do that. :oops:

Had I been thinking, a cookie sheet would have worked wonderfully, though the crating works good for the other greedymo I have (there are towels in there that are changed daily... I do more dog linen in a week than actual clothes :-? ). I guess I'll have to remember that for the next old jawless dog I get.

Guest Anonymous

Hi Guys,
One way that does work for most inhaler type food eaters. AD LIB feeding ~ never let the kibble dish or the water dish become empty. The food is always there ~ the dog gets to know that so doesn't feel that he has to eat as much as possible before it disappears. I am now bringing up dog number 10 ~ a 4 month old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, he's not overweight, growing well, plenty of energy etc. :)
I have not used Ad Lib feeding when I have owned more than one dog at a time so can't say if it would work then, may well do but would depend on the dogs.

We free feed with all our dogs. The only time we gave controlled feeding a try is when we had Tyr in the house. Free feeding is initially more expensive, paticularly with a rescue dog or a gulper but they do tend to calm down and eat only when hungry after a while. Not for all dogs though, you can try it for 2 weeks to a month and see if its right.

Absotively posolutely [color=red]NO[/color] way free feeding would work in my house... not with 8 dogs competing for food, the fights that break out when someone passes too close to someone else's bowl. We can't even leave empty bowls down because some of these greedy guts jealously guard them even when empty. They're not necessarily hungry as much as they are jealous and VERY possessive.

The very thought makes me shudder. :-?

Then again, I hear there are people out there who have only one dog and occasionally only two...

Guest Anonymous

The idea with a stone sounds really good!
Teddy is eating everything in one big bite and sometimes everything comes up.
He dives in the bowl spreading half of the food on the floor and fighting over what's on the floor with Cassie.

Annette

P.S
What's free feeding?

Guest Anonymous

Hi,
No free feeding for my dogs...everything is gone in matter of seconds.
I have tried the stone and tennis ball thing in the bowl, but it didn't really work that well.
Teddy pushed the ball out of the food bowl and together with the ball most of his food too.

Guest Anonymous

Wow. My dogs are spoiled. They are free fed.....and the bowl is NEVER empty...I wont let that happen!

Now, if a weight problem ever developes, then we'll have to start changing these eating habbits....

• 1 year later...