Dogomania

damn it all.....

courtnek

my hound has black nails, completely opaque...I bought a nifty extra special sharp clipper to cut them...they're hard as freakin' rocks...only cut off the tips till the quick recedes...on a back claw she flinched and pulled, and I cut the quick. the blood was extensive. I sunk her foot in a bag of baking flour, and it stopped, like I knew it would, but now she is afraid of the clipper...I couldnt ignore it, since she was bleeding so bad, and now I think I encouraged her fear by cooing at her (to make her sit still while the flour took affect.) now what?

Guest Oscar The Grouch

[img]http://www.mytoolstore.com/makita/gv7000c.jpg[/img]

you know, instead of cutting, just grind them down.

Bentley kinda freaks out with the clippers also.. It's no fun... poor guy..

I was taking her to Petco, but the last guy there scared her so bad (he was very large and had a gruff voice. he was trying to be nice but he freaked her out) I thought she'd take it better if I do it. besides they have gotten so long since the Petco incident I need to trim them every three or 4 days to get the quick to recede. I never had a dog with nails like hers....I have never cut Free's, I dont need to. they wear down on her walks and runs...this dogs nails are black as night, hard as rocks, and at
least 1/2 inch thick....they look totally out of place on her paws....

I tried the dremmel too.noise freaked her out....

tomorrow I'll try again, with treats this time. maybe if she'll sit still and we ca get through a whole clipping without a disaster she'll stopbeing afraid....

my suggestion would be 2-3 times a day get out the clippers and feed her chicken when she sees them. do it for a week and see if she gets any calmer just seeing them. then touch a toe with clipper chicken chicken chicken . . . you know where this goes. you could try the dremel but if she is not accustomed to it i would use the same desensitization process.