Dogomania

I am new and I have some questions.

White89SR5

Hi, My name is Sam and my waife is Kelley. For the longest time she has wanted a dog and I really haven't wanted one, :agrue: but now I see that she will not be happy until she gets one so it looks like I will be getting a dog in the near future!! My wife was recently in contact with a Pomeranian breeder who has agreed to give us first pick out of an upcoming group of pups. My biggest concern is how with the pup act around my new born baby!! The baby is not due until November 22 and the dog wouldn't be ready to come home until about the same time? What are everyone thoughts on Pomeranians and new born babies? I would really appreciate evryones input or advice. Thank you in advance!!

I think it's a disaster waiting to happen

a puppy and a baby at the same time is never a good idea, both of them need around the clock care, they need to be watched at all times, the puppy will have to be potty trained and leash trained and socialized, etc. and you cant really properly do all that with a newborn baby.

i'd advise against it.....if she really wants a dog, perhaps going with a adult dog that is already house and leashe trained and all that good stuff and has been around children....

[quote name='White89SR5']Hi, My name is Sam and my waife is Kelley. For the longest time she has wanted a dog and I really haven't wanted one, :agrue: but now I see that she will not be happy until she gets one so it looks like I will be getting a dog in the near future!! My wife was recently in contact with a Pomeranian breeder who has agreed to give us first pick out of an upcoming group of pups. My biggest concern is how with the pup act around my new born baby!! The baby is not due until November 22 and the dog wouldn't be ready to come home until about the same time? What are everyone thoughts on Pomeranians and new born babies? I would really appreciate evryones input or advice. Thank you in advance!![/quote]
Hi Sam,
Welcome to the forum! We are glad to have you, even if you are not a dog lover from the get-go. :evil:
:lol: I am only kidding.
Sam, there are pros and cons to raising a puppy and baby together.
Obviously, the baby and dog will form a special, strong bond for many years to come. But... there are some drawbacks.
Are you guys willing to deal with the added stress of potty-training a puppy, teaching him/her not to bark, or whatever the case is while tending to a newborn?
Some dogs do not know how to react to newborns and their "weird" sounds. Vigilance and supervision are important. Just because a pom is not 100 lbs. doesnt mean you can leave your child unattended.
In a hypothetical world, if I were to plan the timing of dogs and children, I think I would wait until the child reaches the age of 5 or so. My reasoning would probably be due to the stress of having a newborn.
Another option that I highly recommend is to look into some rescue organizations. The reason this might appeal to you is two-fold:
1) You can get an adult dog and not have to worry about house-breaking, things of the sort, and more importantly...
2) You might be able to find a dog that is fostered with a baby, or has a known history of being fine with babies, toddlers, whatever the case. Remember, getting a puppy (even if its from a reputable breeder) does not guarantee that you will have a perfect, confident pet. It takes work such as socialization.
Good luck either way, I am sure you guys will do fine. Just dont leave the dog and baby unattended and you guys will do great.

Welcome to dogo. I think DrJeff has also given great advise.

By the sounds of your post this is going to be your first baby? If it is I think a new puppy might be too much all at once.

I'm not saying it can't be done, it's just that a new baby is a lot of work (and first children tend to be a bit more overwhelming for parents than the second or third) and a new puppy is also a lot of work, especially for for first time dog owners.

I think if you did decide to go with a puppy at the same time as the baby then [b]both[/b] you and your wife would need to be committed to looking after and training the puppy. If you're not really a dog person like you said, then I have a feeling that most of the work in relation to the puppy would fall to your wife. If that's the case I think a new baby and a new puppy might be taking on more than she can handle.

It's ultimately your choice, but a puppy is a just like having a baby. You'll need to teach it to potty train right away, at least witha kid you have some time. But I can understand the need for a puppy wanting to grow up withyou family, it would become a part of the family I agree with the others you could find older dogs, say around 1 year, already potty trained and already has a good temperment. And already fixed and virtually TONS less expensive.

Also, I want to add:
You may want to consider going for a bigger dog then a pom. Since they are so small they may not take well to children playing with them/tugging on them.