Dogomania

Dogs and chiropractors

Horsefeathers!

I know some people have their dogs seen by chiropractors (Newfie? Carol, maybe?). Are they canine chiropractors, or people chiros? I know it might sound like a stupid question to some, but I do know of people on other boards that say their chiros also treat their dogs, though I'm sure they're not actually trained for that (I'm just assuming).

I found out today that my chiro actually does a little bit of canine adjusting! I've always wanted to have my Tucker Lab seen by a chiro, but I know of no canine chiros near me. I'm going to ask my chiro about it. My Tucker has some pretty extensive damage to his rear end and had FHO surgery on one hip a few years ago, but there is still some damage to his pelvis and one of his legs, and his back is visibly crooked. He is not a candidate for more surgery.

Would you feel comfortable letting your human doctor try this? Apparently, he's doing several dogs. This doctor is also kind of big on holistic and natural medicine. I'm of the mindset that if it doesn't help, it won't hurt. At least, I don't think so. This doctor has been a miracle worker for me, and I'm hoping he can help Tucker get a little more relief.

What do you think? Feasible? Stupid?

I'm going to find out. Maybe I'm being naive, but I really don't think he can (or would) do any more damage. The dog owner I saw today in the office swore by him. Everyone I've met that knows him swears he's a miracle worker, so I'm willing to give it a try. I know of a couple of people on another board that say they let their chiro adjust their dogs and they swear by it. I'm just wondering if it sounds like a really, really bad idea. This is the closest thing to Tucker ever being able to get chiro visits, so I may just give it a try. I'm going to see if I can find some of the other doggy owners that use him. I'm only going to assume that since they go regularly, they must like him. Tucker has an extensive collection of xrays and I know my vet would let me borrow them long enough for another doctor to have a look.

i never heard about that but when my dog has some problem i will try anything to give him the relife.
if this chiropractors can prove that they did some studies about canin and they did worked in that area for some time i don't see a reson why not not to try taking your dog to this tritment.
i don't think it's navie to try and find somthing to help your dog.

good call ess! i do take gaia and aspen for chiro and acu. the trend is that aspen gets more acu and gaia gets the chiro. she is one of those dogs that has 2 speeds -- fast and faster. she is a brut force kinda girl too so she plows thru everything. most often her neck and her front limbs need adjusting.

our dr is our vet so she only does animals including cats and horses. she is very good and when you see the look of relief on gaia's face or when you see her lean in to help get things straight you realize it really does help.

alot of human practitioners are interested in animal acu or chiro. have your dr try becareful to watch tucker very carefully so that you know if he is getting stressed. it shouldn't be a bad thing and not everyone who is interested in dogs knows how to handle dogs. if you find you don't like something about your guy you can always find a canine chiro. btw how much would your dr charge you to see tucker?

Thanky, spanky!

Tucker is set to start going on Monday. R2, I'm not really worried about him getting stressed. He was certified as a therapy dog and is about the most mellow, easy going dog there is. Strange situations and people, even ugly vet visits, don't bother him. I think he'll enjoy the attention even if it doesn't benefit him. Oh, and get this... the price? Ta da, it's a 2fer. He's not going to charge me for it since I'm such a frequent visitor ($). Here's hoping it helps!

Jesse sees a canine holistic vet who does his chiro and accupuncture.
I think in your situation HF, I too would feel comfy in having your own chiro dr. take a look at Tucker and perhaps do an adjustment.
The first time Jesse was adjusted, he snapped his head around at the dr. like WTF! then...his whole body relaxed. Quite a dramatic reaction to it. Haven't seen near as clear reactions since then but hey, he is still going at 14+. I do believe a large part of his continuing ambulation is the swimming! He saw his vet recently, she said tho he has no muscles to speak on his rear legs, he has added muscle in his lower back. Rather unusual for an older dog to add muscle like that.