Dogomania

? for those with dysplastic dogs.

As some of you remember Im sure, we took Taurus into have his hips x-rayed last December as a massive amount of tests were being done to try and determine why he was so lethargic.
The vet confirmed he did have Hip Dysplacia, but that it was pretty mild, and that it wasnt anything to be too concerned about. I cant remember exactly how she explained the x-rays to us, but I do know that she said it looked like he was born that way, as opposed to something that was brought on through his envioronment. ( ie. something about the sockets being shallow or shaped improperly.???)
He has been on Syn-Flex for about 4 months now, but the past few weeks he has been pretty stiff and sore. He went to the vet last week for his annual shots and check-up, and I told her about the pain and she suggested some MetaCam for a week to see if it helped with the pain. If it did, she thought he might be gettig some arthritis.

Well, it hasnt helped at all, and he can barely jump up onto his chair in the basement. ( a normal sized easy chair.) He wont "touch" ( his nose to the palm of my hand) not even for a piece of meat which is really wierd... he looks like he trys to but as soon as he goes to place weight on his back end, he stops.

I have always heard that APBT's sometimes live their whole lives without ever showing the pain of hip dysplacia...
Taurus is no exception ussually... he has hurt himself pretty badly before and it ussually doesnt even phase him, like he is intolerante of pain, however this is different, he is quite obviously in discomfort.

Any thoughts??

** also, about the same time he started getting stiff, he started vomiting. It has been two weeks or so, and he's been vomiting about every other day always afetr he gets up from resting??

Kara

[quote name='Lokipups']Lyme and Erlichia are antigen specific tests, if they aren't looking for them, they won't show up in a CBC. Although I'm sure the last thing poor Taurus wants is another needle stuck in him :( , poor guy.[/quote]

I did ask about Eurlicia, and was told he would be anemic due to that. The lyme disease I did not ask about though..I will do some reading up on it.

Thanks

Kara

I'm afraid I don't know about the vomiting. One of mine does it occasionally in the morning when I'm about to leave for work---his is linked to the rapid increase in his anxiety over me leaving. He also will throw up if he's injuried, like a cut pad. Somehow he's gotten the idea that throwing up when he feels bad is a way to calm himself down.

I do have another dog, a lab/dobie mix, who had HD. She was diagnosed with it at age six months and had TPO surgery done on both hips shortly after. She got a clean bill of health back in June and since then hasn't slown down at all. It's a blessing and a curse.

Has surgery been mentioned for your's?

Did you have the full thyroid panel done for free T3 and such? I don't know if any of that could cause vomiting, but I have a thyroid disorder myself and when my medicine is out of wack, I get very sick to my stomach. The antibody that marks it is not one that is usually tested and has to specially requested.

Best of luck to you!