Dogomania

A few questions...

Ok, I know that there are certain things humans should do to keep the heiarchy in order. However, if there are no signs of dominance on the dogs behalf is it okay to let your dog do some things?

For instance, Kat is allowed on the furniture but she knows when we say, "off" she needs to get down on the floor. I know that having he dog on your level isnt a good idea but Kat is in no way trying to challenge my or my moms authority. So is it ok?

I also havent made her go out the door after me, but again, it hasnt caused any problems. I will, however, change these things if she ever thinks shes not the omega. Ill also change things, if you all insist its not a good idea. So, what does everyone think? I just want to be sure Kat is in a stable environment.

I think what you're doing is fine. :)

The door thing is really only something you need to do when you're trying to enforce strict order. This would be necessary with the "give an inch, take a mile" sort of dog. It sounds like Kat knows her place and can handle a little latitude.

Same thing with the couch. As long as she gets off without a fuss, than it's obvious she knows her place and is fine with it.

It sounds like you're doing a great job with her! :D

It sounds fine. as long as the dog will get off on command then I see no reason to not let them up. Kes loves getting up and my goodness is she woosey! Tonight she was on her back taking up the chair while I balance on the edge and then she had enough of my cramped space and hopped up onto Mums knee and lay on her back with her head restingon Mums neck and her big gangley long legs sprawled out :lol: I just couldn't help but feel happy and laugh :wink:

[quote name='DivineOblivion19'][color=indigo]About the door thing, I make my girls sit/stay EVERY time we go outside. I think it is important that my dogs don't just shoot out the door. Cori will smash her face into the door and try to push it open and zoom outside. So every time she sits and waits until I say it's ok. I like that she's not allowed to go out without permission for a couple of reasons. 1) It's safer in case someone leaves a door open, my dogs don't just fly out! and 2) When I have people over and we are going outside my dogs don't just run people down. They know they have to wait their turn. :wink:

But, this isn't something that NEEDS to be done. It's something that I feel is important.[/color] :P[/quote]

I do the door thing with Buddy every time, just like you. I let him go out first some of the time, but ONLY after I say OK. The exception is the sliding glass door leading into the fenced back yard. When open he can go in/out as he pleases here.

Also I make him wait on command before getting in or out of the car. One time I forgot to make him wait and he jumped up and hit his head on the truck door as I was opening it :o luckily he was OK.

CC, I agree that you're doing a good job with Kat. As long as she'll get off the furniture if you tell her too, that's fine.

My three are allowed on all the furniture (slip covers on everything), but if I tell them to get down, they will.

And I have a very structured routine for going them outside. When I let them in the back yard, first they all sit. Then I grab Maya's harness off the outside of the door and put it on her. Then she gets a treat and goes out the door. Then Pooh Bear comes up to me and sits, gets a treat, and then he goes out. Jackie always brings up the rear, and has to sit for her treat before she goes out too. I ALWAYS have them go out one at a time, in the same order, and they walk out the door, not rush.

And when I take all three for walks together, they all have to sit as I open the door. They go out just before me because it would be too difficult to try to go out before them, hold the door open, and not have us all get tangled up. But as soon as they get out the door, they stay on the stoop and wait for me to close and lock the door.

I feed them in the same order all the time too: Maya, then Jackie, then Pooh Bear. And they have to sit before I will put the food in their bowls. I don't even have to say anything to them any more. And after Pooh Bear and Maya are done, they come over to me and sit and wait for Jackie to finish (she's a slowpoke). When Jackie's done, THEN they all go to each others' bowls and check them out.

I think that with multiple dogs, you HAVE to have structured routines.