Dogomania

This one's for you, CC

BuddysMom

I wouldn't object to an ear tattoo. Plus a tattoo is harder to fake, you have to get the ink and the pen. A notch can be cut with anything, and not humanely either. I think its a good idea, but why not with dogs as well? My cats have the same chance of getting out and being picked up by AC as my dogs do, in fact the dogs moreso as they go out in the yard and for walks, the cats are 100% indoors.

An ear notch is great way to identify at a glance the spay/neuter status of stray and feral cats which in my opinion are by far the greatest contributers to the cat over-population problem. Only problem is that alot of those guys might have incidental notches cause by some injury. I can't say that if I were a cat owner that I'd want a nick out of my pet's ear either. Tattoos sound good for indoor pets (IMO where all cats belong), maybe with ear notches or tags for the strays.

All in all sounds like a good plan, and as bad as the dog over-population problem is, it's ten times worse with cats.

I wouldn't mind having my cat's ear nicked. It would be a badge of honor. Agreed too that cats should have some access to the outdoors. With our elderly Gladysse it is easy, I just let her ont on the enclosed patio (with tons of potted plants including wheat grass) or I let her out in the yard and just watch her for a little while.

She has been such a joy as she's gotten older. When she leaves us :( I want to adopt two older ones.

[quote]I totally agree with K about how cats need fresh air, grass and things to cimb on. We have 5 acres of basiclly just forest and our cats LOVE it![/quote]

Thats a bit different from city life. I like to think if I had 5 acres my kitties would be indoor/outdoor cats too. As it is, we don't so all their outdoor time is supervised and on a harness. I do take them out as often as I can, I even take my rats outside to explore and enjoy the outdoors. But I feel bad, they can't exactly hunt with a harness on.

Guest Anonymous

I dont live in town and any cats that live here do so on their own free will. I havent ever brought one here myself.
I do have to say though.... When I did live in town, nothing would tick me off more than a cat running lose, killing the flowers, chasing off the birds, crapping on the front porch, teasing my dogs, etc... I dont think cats that live in town should be allowed to roam freely. Maybe if they stayed in their yard but cats normally dont.

LC, I wish all cat owners would do what you do.