Dogomania

Gangsta... pit bull who needs rescue

Another volunteer, Mary (who fostered Maggie Mae the pit bull puppy), feeds the chained dogs in West Dallas, a lot of which are pit bulls. She always talks about the different dogs there.

She told me about Gangsta, a pit bull, who was used for fighting most likely. She says hes a big sweetie and she wants to steal him really badly but he has no where to go.

Do you think I should try to convince my mom to let her keep him in our backyard for a while? Sure hed be chained just like before but at least hed get more care here.

I say no also, because if he was used for fighting then he's probably extremely dog aggressive... and you have Kat to care for now.

My assumption would be that if the dog saw Kat/was near her he'd lunge, bark, snarl, etc. From what you've told us Kat is a very shy dog and I really don't think bringing in a dog like that would help her come out of her shell. If anything it will make her feel a prisoner in her own home, she may refuse to go outside or etc. And I have to doubt your mom would tolerate that.

Maybe Mary could talk the owner into handing him over to her? Even then it takes a lot of dedication to rehabilitate a fighting dog, and you would probably have a lot of trouble placing him. Obviously he also could not be kept in the dog runs with the other animals at the straydog either.

BuddysMom- Even if animal control was to get involved and seize the dog, he would almost certainly be put to sleep if he has a fighting background.

It's a sad situation all around and I feel for both Mary and you. :(

BM Id do anything to save that dog so I dont care what would happen to me, not to mention where I live is far from Dallas anyway.

Abker, I could just put him in the garage or chain him to the side of the house when I take Kat out. The owner is never around. Hes out selling drugs and other crap. :roll:

Mary just saved one of the chained dogs so she cant take him. :( We wouldnt place him with just anyone... it would have to be someone whos experienced with pits and dog aggression or a sanctuary or something where he could stay.

Ab is right, I dont want AC involved.

[quote name='__crazy_canine__']BM Id do anything to save that dog so I dont care what would happen to me,[/quote]

Well WE care what would happen to you! :wink: But the main point is, as others have said it sounds non-do-able on so many levels. Also, if this dog disappears they will just buy another poor pup to torture.

If it were the AC in my town I would get them involved because they would care about the neglect / abuse / drug dealing etc. And they would put the creeps behind bars. Also they would not automatically PTS although admittedly it would be likely; they do a pass / fail agressiveness test but they are not biased, they regularly adopt out pitties but they recently PTS a chihuaua (sp?) who didn't pass.

[quote name='BuddysMom'][quote name='__crazy_canine__']BM Id do anything to save that dog so I dont care what would happen to me,[/quote]

Well WE care what would happen to you! :wink: But the main point is, as others have said it sounds non-do-able on so many levels. Also, if this dog disappears they will just buy another poor pup to torture.[/quote]

My thoughts exactly. I dont think its a good idea for you to do this, anyone who would have a dog in such poor condition, only for dog fighting, isnt the greatest person in the world, and you most definitaly do not want to make enemies with him/her.

Just want to make it clear we're not sure the dog is used for fighting, but being in West Dallas its highly likely. It didnt look like he had scars or wounds though.

The police dont care about the drug use in that area. They see it as a lost cause because its so bad!

You guys are probably right that my mom wouldnt go for it... but it would just be a short-term thing. She wouldnt have to pay for anything, and Ive been responsible about everything else. :(

Youre probably right about him just getting another dog too. :roll: