Dogomania

question about dog food.

dobedo

i was initially feeding my pup pedigree puppy food until my vet said it wasent very goood. i was misinformed and under the impression that pedigre was a good food, because of all the comercials and the popularity of it. the vet said the reason my dobe had dirhea and would eat grass and throw up was because the pedigree upset her stomach. could you all enlighten me on what to look for in a good food. another thing ive noticed is the wide variance in cost of the dog foods. ive seen how some bags of eukanuba cost forty dollars. is it best to buy the most expensive brands, are they really that good or are you jst paying for the name.

Some expensive brands are the best and others like eukanuba are just expensive and CRAP.

what ya need to look for in a food is a food that has meet as it's first 1-3 ingredient and very little to no grains and fillers.

NO corn and NO by-products

some good brands off the top of my head are chicken soup dog food, wellness, innova, wysong, canidae, solid gold...there are others but those are the ones i can think of right now.

you wont find them at a grocery store or a place like petsmart.

usually you can find them at feed stores and lil pet stores..

I pay a lot less for Scout's Wysong than I did when I fed him Science Diet (yep, another one of my learning experiences). If you go to any of the websites for foods that AllAmericanPUP listed, they should have a store finder.

Also, there are a lot of good threads on here about dog nutrition. It sure has enlightened me! Good luck!

If you're really wanting to start learning how to read dog food labels and how you can get the most bang for your buck, an excellent site is [url]http://www.mordanna.com/dogfood/[/url] .

If you look to the left, you'll see an index of lots and lots of articles that cover the ingredients in dog food and how to analyze them. Lots of good reading there. We couldn't even begin to touch on how to interpret dog food labeling adequately in a single post here.

Good luck!

And here is archived analyses on most dog foods available. If you look down, you'll see there is page after page covering brands of dog foods.
This is good reading once you've learned how to interpret labels and ingredients. Lot of reading, I know, but well worth it IMO.
[url]http://www.mordanna.com/boards/postlist.php?Cat=0&Board=dogfood[/url]