Dogomania

Help with barking?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Ok forsome reason COdy has gone totally protective.. barking at everything.. that's ok when he see's something outside and barks.. warms the other dogs and all of htem start barking.. my thing is Boonie.. lol he barks so much.. when we first got him , he never barked. now he barks in the kennel, he barks when i shut them in the laundryroom to get their food ready, he barks wheni let the big dogs out of the kennel, he barks when they are all running down the hallway....
lol this all just started i'd say within the last 2-3 weeks.. any idea how to stop the unwanted barks? with him and ZOey i have a can of pennies that i shake when they bark. but it still deson't stop them and hwen body barks for no reason he gets the no sign and he stops..

help...

DAL, it sounds to me like Boonie is barking at normal doggie things just from excitement. Does he continue to bark bark bark bark after the cause of his excitement is gone? For continuous "nuisance" barking, I do the Bitter Apple thing. I don't remember if you saw where I posted it before, but it goes basically like this:

I give them the first few barks "free." I mean, they're dogs and that's what they do. I want to make sure there's nothing wrong, or that they aren't trying to tell me something I need to know. However, I have some knuckleheads that basically bark because it feels good and some other knuckleheads that will try to outbark them. After the "freebie" barks, I say, "ok, thank you," or "that's enough." Whatever verbal cue works for you to let Boonie know that you heard him and he can now knock it off is fine.

At that point, any additional barking is "rewarded" with a "treat" of Bitter Apple (or whatever taste deterrent is available to you). You have to get him basically in mid bark, but just kind of pinch up his little lip and give a spurt of Bitter Apple in his mouth... just a tiny bit is good since you aren't trying to strangle him. Most dogs hate it (which is why it's used as a taste deterrent for chewers :wink: ). I don't approach it as "punishment." I let my dogs believe that I'm interpreting their barking as a request for a "treat." I'm always happy and upbeat about it... "okily dokily, here ya go!! :D *spurt*" It has worked for us like a charm. Now, most times, once I say, "ok, that's enough," they'll pucker right up and not make a sound. It takes a little time and you have to be consistent, but maybe it'll work for you. It's been a life (and lung) saver for us since we don't have to try to scream over them anymore. For no more than the cost of a bottle of bitter spray, it's worth a try, anyway, right?

Guest Anonymous

thanks HF yes he does continue to bark for no resason, even after i say no more and the other dogs ar laying down he stand there and barks... so i do have bitterapple that we used for Zoey and her chewing i'll try that!! Thanks!! :) i never really thought of that lol

Guest Anonymous

lol i read that they can be feisty but i've never met a pom that is so lol sassy....... everyone i met is nice and not a barker.. lol boonie had to be the odd ball!!

Guest Anonymous

lol well he's doing better with it.. he barks and i tell him no and if he does it again i reach for hte bottel and he turns and walks away lol.,. at least he's not barking!