Dogomania

thank God for the dogs....

courtnek

its almost midnight. I was asleep. Laurel starting growling. No biggie, she growls at every noise. I ignored her, turned over, and almost went back to sleep. She growled again. Free started barking. Unusual, Free is usually laid back about outside noises. Laurel continues growling. Free starts growling. Then the cops show up. I dont know what happened, but got up and bolted all the doors. There are lights outside everywhere, and I am GLAD I own dogs, to alert me..

best protection there ever was...

i completely agrrrreeee! :D our neighborhood is nice except for the seventeen year old juvenile delinquent next door who has no parental supervision, and one night around 11, my husband was sleeping and I heard a thud in the yard. I look out the back patio to see four of this kid's friends in my back yard, just creeping around! Taz (my elkhound) saw this and started to actually [i]snarl[/i]. I held him by the collar, opened the door and said "You have until the count of five and then I am letting him go". Taz is snarling and barking and making a scene the whole time, these damn kids split, right over our back fence into a yard where a really crabby Chow Chow was living...serves 'em right! :D (I let Taz go out anyway and make a scene in the yard, and nothing like that has happened since.) Funny thing is, Taz is just about the biggest, sweetest love you would ever hope to meet!

:o WOW, thank goodness you had the dogs !!!
The Jacks alert me to everything........Gretchen rarely barks at all, she's more of an observer.......so when she does bark or growl I pay FULL attention !!!!
One night we were just in bed and usually the dogs all go right to sleep....well Gretchen was sitting at the window and doing this real low under her breath growly noise........which of course got the Jacks going..
So I'm looking out the window and it's dark, I'm not seeing anything, but Gretchen kept growling and being very insistant......so I keep looking and sure enough under a street light in the darkness I see the lit end of a cigarette !!!!! Someone was standing in the darkness smoking looking up towards our house !!!!! This is very unusual because this is a neighborhood that is set apart from the city........
So, Kris called the police to do a drive-by and the next day NYSEG came out and trimmed back the tree branches so the street light could throw more light.
I think it was one of the neighbors neer-do-well sons.......... :-?

Geeze I so know what you mean :o When I was petsitting the 2 usually placid wolfhounds last November and heard them barking wild fury in the early hours of the morning, I was sh*t scared. That turned into full blown petrified when i actually came face to face with the guy that was trying to break in!! :o If it hadn't been for those dogs barking he would have been in the house and likely murdered me in my bed! Even now I can't sleep soundly on my own.

oh my god, kat! so scary! :o it is [b]really[/b] the best security system we have, especially when we girls are alone in the house-i know no one who [i]knows[/i] we have Taz and Sasha would try to break in, but if anyone did try they would be in for a nasty, nasty surprise...

YES Dogs are Awesome for security!

There are a couple places that I will not go without Kaleb. One is a family members house.....the family member has a ongoing history of being physically abusive....Hitting, slapping, using physical force to make his point and get his way, etc. He has done this recently (once when Kaleb was not there).

Last night I was visiting them (they are close family) and the man said, "You know, ain't noone going to get near you with that dog around." I said, "Yep, unless they want to get bitten."

The really weird thing is that Kaleb always lays between me and this man.

And once the man stood up really quickly out of his chair.....Kaleb jumped up and voiced a large snarl-growl....a big toothy akita snarl.....the man quietly set back down.

Every since the most recent hitting thing, Kaleb does not act like he trusts the man at all...with good reason. But Kaleb was not present during the latest abuse....Is he reading my body language or does Kaleb know something that I don't? Wierd!

oh yea. DUH! It would help if I told the end of the story wouldnt it?

think I mentioned before that there is a group of drug dealers across
the street. Everyone knows about them, they dont really try to hide it
cuz they never have anything in the house. They have a runner who
takes the buyers somewhere else to do the deal.Apparently, the police
have been watching them undercover and caught the runner, who
then turned in the dealers themselves to save his own neck.

We have been avoiding them, but every once in a while I will see one
of them staring at my house. Kyle has a lot of tools and equipment in
the garage which we keep bolted. The night the police showed up
(after nailing the runner) they said one of them was on my front lawn
when they got there, and he tried to run.Which was stupid, he could have hid behind the bushes on the porch, but he heard the dogs barking
saw the cops and bolted. So they've been arrested. Hopefully they wont be back anytime soon.

I live in a nice residential neighborhood, but since I live alone, I'm glad I have my two puppygirls with me! [i][b]Jackie[/b][/i] is a lousy watchdog; she would probably lick someone to death. But [i][b]Maya[/b][/i] is the watchdog of the family. But if someone looks in and sees two big dogs and hears barking, it's a pretty good deterrent!

they are the best deterrent, for a number of reasons. They cant be "turned off" by cutting the power or the phone lines. The seem to
"know" good people from bad. They love you, your electronic security system couldnt care less, and they will, if necessary, die for you. What better protection could you ask for?

I saw a Chief of Police on the news (in Chicago, high crime area) who outright admitted that a dog, of any kind, is the best home security.
The average burglar doesnt want to take the chance of setting the dog off. The noise they make deters them, since the neighbors may decide to
call the cops if the dog wont shut up, and isnt a normal barker.

I have found this to be true. There are a number of houses in my neighborhood that have been burglarized, but none of them who have dogs. They pass by and look for easier pickins...

ok so I have to tell my favorite burglar joke. My apologies to all who have heard it already.

Man breaks into a house, intending to rob it. He checks around the living room, sees a stereo, TV, things he can sell. He starts unplugging wires when he hears a voice say "Jesus is watching you." He freezes in place, and looks around. Sees no one. Thinking he imagined it, he continues to unplug the electronics. He hears again "Jesus is watching you." Now totally unnerved, he turns on a flashlight and scours the room. In the far corner, he sees a parrot on a stand. Stomping up to the parrot he damands "Did you say that?"..the parrot says yes. The burglar starts to laugh and says "What's your name?". The Parrot answers "Moses".
The man laughs harder and says "What kind of people name a parrot Moses?" The parrot almost grins, and says smugly "The same people who named the 90 lb. Rottweiler 'Jesus......'"

Courtnek, you are very fortunate to have your girls. I would have been scared to death.
I am ashamed to say this.. but, where I live in the Maritimes of Canada I hear all kinds of horror stories about the big city life in the States :oops: the way I picture cities like Detroit and Chicago are people walking around with guns and shooting people who look at them the wrong way. Of course we live in a somewhat cocoon here in the Maritimes. In my area every body knows every one and I have partied with the local drug dealers and cops at the same time. :lol:

Speaking of break ins a friend of mine was broken into last week; every thing of value was gone. They found their Shar-Pei hiding in the master bedroom when they got home :lol: I guess this was one instance where a dog was not the best choice for home alarm systems :lol:

I had an experience years ago while driving my little pickup truck with my Doberman Heidi. She always lay across the bunk seat with her head on my lap. I stopped at a red light when a man (quite horrid looking obviously a druggie) ran up to my truck and opened my door with the intention of jumping in. That

I would do regular yard-checks Courtnek. Drug dealers aren't the nicest of neighbours and if they decide that your dogs are an inconvenience throwing poisoned bait into your yard wouldn't be an unheard of tactic. Especially since they may already have been busted because of having to change their running plans because of your dog.

oh yea DP. I've been doing yard checks since they moved in. They've never said anything to me, or me to them, I dont want them to feel any hostility towards us. They keep to themselves except for their illegal activities, and actually try to lay pretty low cuz they knew they were being
watched. Kyle actually fixed one of their cars once, and they paid him, so I dont think they felt threatened by us. But I kinda kept an eye out anyway, just in case. They havent come back yet, so they may be in jail.
Theres a lady that comes by and checks on the house every so often.

I think hearing the dogs bark is what scared the one guy off the lawn.
Maybe he was afraid the noise would attract too much attention to him.
at least they're gone for now, maybe they wont come back.....