Dogomania

Split toepad

DogPaddle

hey DP, yep Meg has done it with glass at the park on a few occasions. It really annoys me the way yobs chuck glass bottles :evil: Any time that its been done, I check it thoroughly to make sure there is no glass left in it then clean it with saline and cover it for a day with a vetwrap bandage and a sock! Highly fashionable :wink:

Mocha did this once out in the snow. It was rather yucky when she walked there would be a little red spot in the snow :o We took her to the vet, they tried to "glue" it together with some veternarian glue stuff, that didn't work, so they just wrapped it up and gave us a bag to put around her foot when she went outside. Heeled up in about 2 weeks.

Check with your vet. There is a product called "Tough Paw" it's for hunting dogs to protect their feet.
I think if the cut is not too deep it will heal in time. Is it bleeding? Magic has a lot of cracks and cuts in her pads but they are not deep or bleeding, I don't know where she gets them but they don't bother her.

The vet wrap and sock sounds like a good idea. Once I bandaged Magic's foot and used a sock and hockey tape to keep it protected because I didn't have vetwrap.
Depending on the cut you could try Liquid Bandaid made by the Bandaid company. It's like a liquid filler that protects from water and dirt.

MajiesMom - It bled when it happened. I think it was broken glass or something. It is not bleeding now, if he really gets going it will weep a bit. Sometimes he walks on it normally, sometimes he walks gingerly, after we've cleaned it or if he's been rough on it he will sometimes walk a bit then hop/walk a bit. The initial injury was probably 1/2 cm (1/5 of an inch) to 3/4 cm (1/3 of an inch) deep or so straight in but now it has healed in some so it is more shallow but a bit wider. If it had been my toe and I was in town I would have gone for stitches, however as we were a day and a half portage/paddle into the park I would have disinfected and taped it and let it heal on its own because by the time you get back to civilization its already started to heal - although likely to heal a bit wide and some ugly.

ESSlover - That glue is sometimes a good idea. We met some folks out there with dogs who offered us some crazyglue but said it wouldn't work unless we could keep his foot dry - :lol: . (Actually we took their campsite because we were leaving early because of Kavik's foot, but they were very nice about - good for me they were dogpeople.)

Kat - Yes I'm sure it was someone elses garbage that cut his foot. :evil:
I'll see if I can post pics of Kavik's foot wrap soon - its a new dog fashion trend we can start. :lol:

Superglue or its relative came into use during the Vietnam War, I think, as a quick alternative to sutures. It is safe to use and is a good addition to a first aid kit, but should really only be used if you are not going to seek other aid or are in an emergancy situation. If you have superglued a wound and then go for treatment they have to open it up again. The wound should be clean and should not have serious internal trauma - again unless you are in a serious emergancy situation. At least that is the info I have.