Dogomania

I'm allergic to Ford!!!!

courtnek

Ford likes to sleep with me in the morning. Usually she lays down by my side, but this morning she was doing the tail-waving-dance and rubbing all over my face. Inside of 10 minutes my eye (the one she was rubbing on) was swollen shut and itching. itching so bad I couldnt stand it. A cold washrag and some benadryl took care of the itching, but it was still somewhat swollen when my sons girlfriend came by. I had already explained to him. She said "Whats wrong with your eye?" and I said "Im allergic to Ford. She was rubbing on it". she likes Ford alot and said "Are you going to take her to a shelter?" she looked horrified at the thought.

Kyle pipes up with "MY mom? are you nuts? she'll live on Benadryl if she has to..." and I cracked up, because that was exactly what I was thinking.
Dont think it will be necessary, I just cant let her sleep near or rub on my face...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Court,

First off....PLEASE don't get the over the counter allergy eye drops....

This is my job. I am an ophthalmic technician. Basically, I'm a nurse...but with eye doctors. And no, NOT optometrists...but Ophthalmologists (M.D.s). Those over the counter drops are HORRIBLE for you....so is Visine, Murine, and Clear Eyes. Promise me you won't get those.....

Having said that....now that claritan is over the counter you can get that....but it will add up. If you have prescription coverage, I would check with your doctor and try out Zyrtec. Great pill.

But....if Ford was rubbing along your face, she could have abraded your cornea. To have just ONE eye swell like that, it sounds more like a scratch. Both eyes would be affected if it was an allergy. Even if she was only rubbing by one eye....both would be bothered by the allergens. It's known as Sympathetic Ophthalmia.

If the eye is still itchy and swollen, get some over the counter TEARS. Brands to try are:
Refresh
Genteal
Bion Tears
Systane

Just NOTHING that says 'Gets the red out'. Bad....bad....bad....

K?

I knew that Visine was crap! My husband virtually lived on them before his eye surgeries and would shove them at me every time I'd get a case of the bleary eyes. I'd rather poke a sharp stick in my eye. :x

Court, I was kind of thinking it sounded maybe like you got a bit of fluff in your eye, or a scratch or something. It seemed kind of unusual to me, too, just to have one eye swell like that, but then I'm no scientist type. Either way, I hope you find some relief.

When I first read the title, "allergic to Ford," I thought, "yeah, me, too," until I realized you meant your cat. :P

OG, dont worry. I never put anything like that in my eyes. I'm a diabetic. Any medication I take (even over the counter) has to be "approved" first, by my Endocrinologist and my Opthamologist. Especially if it has anything to do with my eyes, since blindness for me is a real possibility. I have scratched my cornea in the past, and that is so painful it's not even funny.
the eye patch looked a little humorous though.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
If I had to hear "Gaarrrrr, Matey.." one more time I was gonna kill somebody.... :lol: :lol: :lol: but anyway, I was laying on my side, one eye was pressed into the pillow and he was rubbing on the other. I know I am allergic to cats, this same thing happened when I first got my other one. It will go away over time and exposure. I am allowed by both doctors to take Benadryl for this. Claritin doesnt work for some reason, even the prescription strength. I will ask about Zyrtec. But not to worry.
It's ok as long as I dont touch my eyes after petting her, and dont ler her rub on my face.

HF - :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

oh absolutely. Three times a year, because, as you know, my eyes are in imminent danger from this illness. I get the whole panel, dopey drops, blurry drops, sit in the office for a half hour afterwards so I wont drive.
:lol:

then the glaucoma tests. They scare the hell out of me, I tense up so they're wrong, and they have to keep re-doing them. I just cant bear the thought of something coming that close to my eyes....I had cataract surgery, and altho I was pretty out of it during it, I still cringed at the thought. No worry about ME putting drops in my eyes, I couldnt do it right when I had to take drops for the cornea scratch, and the cataracts...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My opthamalogist is great, very home town like. When I went in with the scratch, he asked "how did this happen" and I mumbled "mascara wand"
and he smiled (trying not to laugh) and said "Just so you know, the mascara is supposed to go on the OUTSIDE...." with me he can do that. Weve been seeing each other a long time.

Some people might have been offended by that, but I just cracked up and relaxed.