Dogomania

Blame it on the dog

bgb699

My puppy Hunter is 3 months old, and he has THE WORST gas I have ever smelled ( and I have 3 males in the house!) Its very frequent and fills up the entire room. Ive made changes in his dogfood thinking that might solve the problem, but it hasnt. Does anyone have any ideas or remedies for me? Thanks!

Don't know what could be the reason behind the problem, but all the dietary changes certainly can't be helping. Perhaps an intolerance or allergy to an igredient in the food could be the reason, but I'd consult his vet about the problem if you hadn't already as diet may not be the problem.

*Edit* Oops, I'm a little slow on the draw. I guess you'd already seen the vet.

I have a GSD and even on the better quality kibble (she eats Innova now and was on Wellness and Canidae) she has gas once and a while. (She never had gas on Nutro Natural Choice - Large Breed but I would never feed that to her again, I don't like the ingredients, it's no good.) When I give her digestive enyzmes (Prozyme) it gets rid of the gas.
I would switch your pupper to an adult food. You could feed Canidae if it makes you feel better, it's designed for all life stages because "in the wild they don't have puppy food, adult food and senior food, they all eat the same thing." so the food is designed for all life stages, only the amount of kibble fed depends on the age of the dog.
Good luck with your gas LOL :lol:

Guest Anonymous

Newfies is right. Vets know very little about nutrition. They will sell you science diet in a heartbeat.

I have a 4-5 month old pup who weighs about 25 pounds but is only 13 inches tall. Not knowing what mom or dad were and have no real clue other than he may be related to the Heinz family we are feeding him Nutro puppy mixed with Nutro adult.

Right now we are having problems anytime he eats anything other than his food and are having to be VERY careful about him eating what the baby tries to offer (Baby being a 19 month old human).

Most of my other dogs are on Nutro. (They sell Royal Canin but my god with 8 dogs one of which is 100 plus pounds they just don't sell a big enough bag here). Only one of the dogs is not on Nutro....A 10 year old Pom who lost 80% of his fur with in one month of eating Nutro. I tried and found successful....Purina One Sensitive Systems. I have a feeling the pup will be on that shortly also as his system is very sensitive.

I've had dogs do wonderful on Pedigree and be gas free/problem free...put them on High quality or give them a raw bone as a treat...Gas and other problem city!

Ok now for the nutritional choice that isnt popular.

my foxhound had atrocious gas when I got her. They were feeding her science diet, and Iams, and all kinds of mixes of dry food to correct. I now feed her Purina Lamb and Rice. mixed in with people food, rice, vegetables, dinner leftovers. sometimes canned food. no more gas.

I would (personally) give her boiled rice, and see what happens. if no gas, then try the purina mixed with rice. slowly add other foods. I know a lot of people will say Purina is no good, but my dogs thrive on it. and it seems
easy on Laurel's stomach. Freebee is a shark and could probably eat license plates, but Laurel's stomach is a whole lot more sensitive....

Getting a little off-topic, I think different diets will work for differnt dogs, I think it's kind of crazy to think that one brand of food can be called worse or better than another for an animal with such a variable physiology.

You want to talk about unpopular foods then hear this: My fiance's mom owned a Great Dane named Elmis. Magnificent animal, he weight something around 160-170 lbs in his prime, he turned eleven a little while ago and is soon at the end of his days but arthritis had only caught up with him about a year ago and he's been without any health problems.

Want to guess what he ate? Aside from the occaisional bit of people food or raw bone, the only thing Elmis had eaten all his life was... OLD ROY!!!
Couldn't believe when I heard that.

Just an FYI to some of the other posters. Mixing formulas or brands of dog food is generally not a good idea. Each food is formulated for a specifc nutrient ratio. When mixing foods you can really throw the ratios out of whack and subsequently your dog can get huge amounts of one nutrient and little to none of another.

And I must agree with Newfie. Puppy food is pointless and can almost be detrimental especially to large breeds. Regardless of what your vet has said. Take some time and learn about dog food and make an educated decision.

Hopefully Lilian wont mind be passing out her links. This is an excellent source of the information you need to make a good choice. [url]http://www.mordanna.com/dogfood/[/url]

[quote name='Canis erectus']Getting a little off-topic, I think different diets will work for differnt dogs, I think it's kind of crazy to think that one brand of food can be called worse or better than another for an animal with such a variable physiology.

You want to talk about unpopular foods then hear this: My fiance's mom owned a Great Dane named Elmis. Magnificent animal, he weight something around 160-170 lbs in his prime, he turned eleven a little while ago and is soon at the end of his days but arthritis had only caught up with him about a year ago and he's been without any health problems.

Want to guess what he ate? Aside from the occaisional bit of people food or raw bone, the only thing Elmis had eaten all his life was... OLD ROY!!!
Couldn't believe when I heard that.[/quote]
Hahaha, I havent heard anyone mention Old Roy in some time. My good friend has been an Akita breeder for decades. She used to feed Old Roy all the time. Her keeters were in great shape, no health problems at all. I think she is feeding Nature's Recipe these days.
Seriously though, pups do not need large-breed puppy kibble, its just a marketing ploy like breed-specific kibble.