Dogomania

NEW!!! VACCINATION PROTOCOL

imported_Cassie

NEW!!! VACCINATION PROTOCOL
by Dr. Jean Dodd

----------------------------------------------------------------------

All of the 27 Vet Universities in the US have followed the immunization
protocol as suggested by Dr. Dodd for years.

All of these Hospitals will be changing their Vaccination Programs
apparently. This is welcome news and you should print this out and take it
with you to your Vet should you need reinforcement against over-vaccination.

VACCINATION NEWSFLASH [CIMDA support] RE; J DODDS VACCINE PROTOCOL

I would like to make you aware that all 27 veterinary schools in North
America are in the process of changing their protocols for vaccinating dogs
and cats. Some of this information will present an ethical & economic
challenge to Vets, and there will be skeptics. Some organizations have come
up with a political compromise suggesting
vaccinations every 3 years to appease those who fear loss of income vs those
concerned about potential side effects. Politics, traditions, or the doctors
economic well-being should not be a factor in a medical decision.

NEW PRINCIPLES OF IMMUNOLOGY

Dogs and cats immune systems mature fully at 6 months. If a modified live
virus vaccine is given after 6 months of age, it produces immunity, which is
good for the life of the pet (i.e.: canine distemper, parvo, feline
distemper). If another MLV vaccine is given a year later, the antibodies
from the first vaccine neutralize the antigens of the second vaccine and
there is little or no effect. The titer is not "boosted" nor are more memory
cells induced. Not only are annual boosters for parvo and distemper
unnecessary, they subject the pet to potential risks of allergic reactions
and immune-mediated haemolytic anemia. There is no scientific documentation
to back up label claims for annual administration of MLV vaccines.

Puppies receive antibodies through their mothers milk. This natural
protection can last 8 - 14 weeks. Puppies & kittens should NOT be vaccinated
at LESS than 8 weeks. Maternal immunity will neutralize the vaccine and
little protection (0-38%) will be produced. Vaccination at 6 weeks will,
however, DELAY the timing of the first highly effective vaccine.
Vaccinations given 2 weeks apart SUPPRESS rather than stimulate the immune
system. A series of vaccinations is given starting at 8 weeks and given 3-4
weeks apart up to 16 weeks of age.

Another vaccination given sometime after 6 months of age (usually at l year
4 mo) will provide LIFETIME IMMUNITY.

K, at the boarding kennel I work at we accept titer tests. By law in my area you have to accept a titer test. This is great for people who are concerned about over vaccinating their pets. The border crossing will also accept titer tests as well. The only down fall with titer testing is they are very expensive.
Also at the kennel I work at and the vet clinic I work at we do not require dogs over the age of 6 to show proof of vaccines. Some say that older dogs no longer require yearly vaccines as they stress the immune system and other argue that older dogs need yearly vaccines due to the lowered immunity. I myself have chose not to vaccinate my dogs yearly. My old girl which is now around 9 years old I chose to stop vaccinating when she reached 7 years of age. I was finding that the vaccines where stressing her immune system and she started suffering from allergies. She is looking great now and no longer suffers hot spots etc. Also the kennel cough vaccine only protects against a couple of different strains of kennel cough. I have seen all dogs vaccinated or not vaccinated come down with kennel cough when exposed to the virus. Its the healthy dogs which recover the quickest.

I see so many dogs daily which suffer from allergies and other immune related diseases, for me I think we are over vaccinating our dogs. This is just my own personal opinion and I have done well over the years by staggering vaccines and not getting them done yearly. Rabies I only give every 3 years.

I just thought this may be of interest to every one. I myself really hope that the laws will change thier view on yearly vaccinating.

Court,

It really just depends on your area. I have a vet that is already following this protocol and has for sometime. Most states dont require rabies every year, even though most vets say they do. The vaccine has always said every 3 years and that is what the states go with. It is the vets that want you to do it each year so they can get yo $$.

Kennel cough is the only one I do because it is actually required by most boarding facilities. All other places have been willing to accept a note from our vet stating the new protocol and their office procedures.

If you just put your foot down about it, people will budge.

my vet has been doing the every 3 yrs for awhile now :D
this does bring up a question I was thinking about the other day - so I hope Im not hijacking this post with it........
I dont like to vaccinate Bongo if I dont have to anymore bacause he is 11 1/2, but I do worry about all the fosters I bring in bringing something like kennel cough (which I vaccinated Bailey against) should I vaccinate Bongo also?

The vets at the clinic I work for are getting ready to gear toward the once every three year distemper booster. I for one will probablt still choose to vaccinate annually. I'm not saying that I think it's neccesary to do so, I think it's great that more vets are gearing to the new vaccine regiment, I'm just saying that I like to play safe rather than sorry. I or my family never experienced health problems with annual vaccines, and I guess I'm a little paranoid of all the little bugs that I may incidently track home in my clothes or on my shoes from work. A three year regiment will definately be best of all for animals with a sensitivity to the vaccines.

As far as the vets go who aren't with the program, I doubt that money is the real factor. I think it has more to do with many of them not wanting to be blamed by their clients if their dogs happen to come down with something that they 'should' have been vaccinated against but didn't. Again, that's a better safe than sorry policy on the vets' part.

The only legistlature about vaccines that exists only concerns rabies. If I'm correct in the U.S. all 50 states require you to have a rabies vaccines every three years. However, there are some county ordinances that requires dog owners to vaccinate against rabies every two years or even annually. I doubt that there are many vets out there telling folks to vaccinate against rabies annually just to get your money, word of something like that would travel quickly and the veterinarian would soon be out of buisness. Also, in my experience clinics don't make their real money from vaccines anyway, most of it comes from medical cases.

Jesse, almost 13, got his last 'cocktail' of immunizations when he was 9. Brittany, almost 11, got her last one when she was 9. I skipped Candy's yearly booster this year, I will consider getting a booster for her next year.
I no longer get the bordatella or kennel cough vaccine, I think it is all but worthless. Neither Jesse or Brittany was up to date on that vaccine when I brought Candy home from the SPCA as a foster and she was gearing up into a raging case of kennel cough. Neither of my older dogs got so much as a sniffle or minor cough from being in constant contact with her.
I take my dogs to the park frequently and I also do a fair amount of agility so they are constantly exposed to potential bug situations. All appear very healthy.
I recently had to leave Brittany at the vets during the day to have a dead tooth checked out. Initially, I was told I would need to bring her shot records showing she was up to date, when I told them her age and that she had received yearly vacs until age 9, they said no need for the info after all. The vet who saw Brittany was quite impressed with her condition, he said she did not look at all like an almost 11 year old dog. He even said if he had guessed, he would have said 7-8 years at most.
My dogs do get the 3 year rabies shot. They are all due for that booster next year. If Jesse is still walking this earth, he will get it too, pretty sure that will be his last vaccination for the rest of his life.

The County I live in requires annually. They can, and will, take the dog away from you and impose heavy fines if its not done. I was late getting Pushy done, and they sent me a court notice, and I had to pay a fine.
He's the least likely to ever get rabies, since he is only outdoors during the day when I'm here, and he never leaves the yard....