Dogomania

guidance concerning green bean diet

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am a proud mom of 2 choc lab brothers that need a weight reduction plan. Chip & Bear are 9 & 8 respectively and have become very lazy lounge puppies. After reducing their food and increasing exercise I am still not seeing the results I had hoped for. Has anyone tried this diet? Pros- Cons?

Thanks so much!

Guest Anonymous

Awesome picture! I have heard of it through a friend who's female lab lost 20 lbs by cutting back on dry food and adding green beans. She (the dog) was quite the "full-figured" gal before- you know how that "winter weight" can be!! :lol: Didn't know if anyone else had heard of this, or had any luck. I love them myself, but my kids won't touch them, my dogs will eat anything that doesn't get them first- so I know I wouldn't have a problem with them!

Replacing some kibble with green beans can really help your dogs lose weight. Another food you can use is canned pumpkin, not the pie filling, just straight pumpkin. Be aware that this will add a good amount of fiber so you would want to start slow and add it gradually.
You must also take into account any treats your dogs get. My sister is famous for saying her dogs do not get much food at mealtime but she doles out treats in much larger quantities than she should. Her BF also gives the dogs frequent treats, all that adds up. You could give your dogs carrots as treats instead of store bought stuff loaded with salt, dyes, sugars etc.
Look for a GRADUAL slimdown, you don't want your dogs dropping a large amount of weight too quickly. Patience and persistance will help you reach your goals.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the tips! I have really tried to be mindful of treats, and might give a few crunchie bones once a day to help with teeth cleaning. Do you all know if there is a ratio of food:beans I should slowly work up to? Should there be more beans than food? Carol- we are practically neighbors- I'm in Newport News!!

Guest Anonymous

No- I'm sorry I don't know them. I did find them in the phone book, though and the road they live on sounds familiar. I've been here all my life and the older I get the smaller the world seems :D

Just got back from Sam's Club with my BIG cans of beans- boy did I get some funny looks!!! If my guys can lose 10-15 each I'll be a happy camper!

A VERY good point was brought up regarding looking for the salt free beans, if not available, rinse and rinse and rinse! I forgot to mention that, all I buy is the salt free beans.
If your dogs get a cup of food, you could substitute 1/4 beans for 1/4 cup food. Over time, that should suffice to reduce their weight gradually.

[quote name='MajiesMom']Apparently can green beans are the best and have all the vitamins and nutrients your dog needs and helps them lose weight. You have to rinse them well first though because of all the sodium in the water they’re packed in.[/quote]

actually green beans barely contain much of anything except a bit of fiber and a lot of sodium. :) the reason they are used for mixing into kibble for weight loss is that they make a great filler that barely adds any calories to the daily ration and most dogs like eating them.

Guest Anonymous

Well- the industrial size are not the salt free kind (I've tried that kind myself and have to agree with Pumpkin the Musher on taste- YUK!) I rinsed quite a few times and "da boyz" loved their dinner!! They have always eaten out of the same bowl since Bear (my baby) was old enough to eat adult food, but I can see now I will have to separate them. Since Chip thinks he's getting a special dinner he won't share!! If I can figure out how to get some pictures uploaded you can all see the before & after pictures of my soon to be less beefy boys! One last question- do you think I will be dealing with green poo?!?

thanks so much for all your guidance!

[quote name='TDG']
actually green beans barely contain much of anything except a bit of fiber and a lot of sodium. :) the reason they are used for mixing into kibble for weight loss is that they make a great filler that barely adds any calories to the daily ration and most dogs like eating them.[/quote]
Oh figures LOL. I remember a GR breeder telling me that years ago before I knew anything about nutrition and I was even thinking as I was posting it, "No, there is no way plain old green beans could have loads of vit. and nutrients in them." :-?

[quote name='DogPaddle']How about frozen green beans? No salt, fresher kinda, tasty . . . my boys love them still frozen, I give them for treats sometimes.[/quote]

frozen is fine too. also fresh if you want and can get them easily. since they are really only intended to bulk up the diet, it doesn't matter. :)