Dogomania

Maya has been a sick puppygirl!

I had my gutters cleaned out about a week and a half ago (there were actually plants growing in my gutters!), and I think that Maya (my Golden Retriever/Husky mix) ate some of what came out of the gutters. I thought I had gotten everything cleaned up, but she must have gotten some anyway.

First she was throwing up about once a day, but was still eating. I wasn't too worried for the first few days, because sometimes dogs will eat grass and throw up. But then she lost her appetite and energy. Maya LOVES to eat, so I knew she was a sick puppygirl. So I took her to the emergency vet (and got a $400 vet bill). They did bloodwork to make sure there wasn't anything wrong with her kidneys or liver, and took xrays to make sure there wasn't an obstruction. The diagnostic work didn't show anything (luckily), so she's been on "bed rest" and hamburger/rice mixture for food. Then the poor girl had diahrrea on Saturday too, so I got meds for that and an anti-biotic.

After I took Maya to the emergency vet, I had her fast for six hours (no water or anything), and then she could have water (which she didn't want). She got subcutaneous fluids and electrolytes at the emergency vet, so the not wanting to drink wasn't alarming. After 12 hours I started giving her the hamburger/rice mixture, a little bit at a time. I boiled it, and per my vet's recommendations made it half hamburger/half rice. Her temp was normal.

My other dog, Jackie (who is just fine) has been very patient yet bored with Maya's "best rest." Jackie was so worried about Maya when she was sick. She kept giving her kisses and comforting her.

Maya finally pooped today (for the first time since Saturday, when she had diahrrea), and it was normal poop! I've been adding dry dog food to her "hotdish", and she'll be on all dry food by Friday. I just started putting her back out on her 40-foot cable in the back yard this afternoon (and I'm watching her like a hawk the whole time), and she has no interest in eating grass, which means her tummy feels good! Maya and Jackie were having fun wrestling today, and I even took them for a very short walk around the block today.

By the way, I LOVE my dogs' vet! I talked to him on Saturday morning, and he said he would have some meds for me to pick up (the antibiotic and anti-diahrrea), and gave me his cell phone number, and said that if she had any problems over the weekend to call him and he would meet me at the clinic so that I wouldn't have to go to the emergency vet clinic (which is much more costly and farther away). He's very nice, and very caring, and his clinic is two blocks away from my house! And my horse vet owns the stable I board at, and she's wonderful. So I'm VERY lucky to have great vets for my babies!

It's so good to have my puppygirl healthy again! I just hate it when my babies are sick!

Maya is completely back to normal now! She's eating all dry dog food now (and she gets VERY excited when I go downstairs to get it), and is back to her normal energy level. It's been very hot and humid here in Minnesota, so neither Maya nor Jackie (nor me!) are wanting to spend much time outside, but Maya's back to being a happy, goofy puppygirl! Jackie and I were both very worried about her, and it's such a relief that she made a complete recovery!

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UwDxArMY5fOdQwmWD!oqYuIR3p6Qe35zT8imRUPqVuD5AkrG15dEXaCzvdI9zutOxiZxCQGKCWV6mb7ML25a*VSEl9ymxVfm0dGQxTJ3s!5lMsWeP22oabch5gtyD3MV/DCP_0012.JPG?dc=4675455615770471070[/img]