Dogomania

Chocolate Newfie?

__crazy_canine__

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

i don't know if its just the coloring playing tricks on my eyes... but landseers look different to me than "normal" colored Newfs. in the book i have, the landseer's head doesn't look like your average Newfie head. *shrug* maybe its just the markings. but they sure are pretty... :D

Newfiemom- I just had to agree w/you about Hawkeye! He was the first Landseer Newfie I had ever seen, and he was truly incredible. Can all of the colors result from a breeding of two black newfs? Or must at least one of the pair be landseer/brown/grey etc? I know w/shibas that every once in a while you can get a black and tan pup out of a breeding of two reds, but it's pretty uncommon. I too would love to see a picture of a grey newf- I've seen every other color, and I think they are all stunning.

[quote]but landseers look different to me than "normal" colored Newfs. in the book i have, the landseer's head doesn't look like your average Newfie head.[/quote]
The head on the Newf and body type all depend on the breeder...or what is "the look" of the year. I had 4 black Newf's 4 years ago, my 2 oldest Newf's where older "types" with shorter more compact bodies and a shorter stop and slimmer & longer muzzle. My current Newf's have big pumpkin heads with a very defined stop and short muzzle with huge flews...my older Newf's did not have the large flews or abundant coat my current Newf's have.
So basically the head type & body type of the Newf depends on the breeder and what is winning at the shows. Alot of Newf's are looking more leggy etc. The head types on Newf's can vary...I could look at 15 different Newf's and see 15 different head types.

[quote]All the colors can be shown. Below is the AKC standard as far as coat color[/quote]
Not in Canada, browns & gray Newf's cannot be shown in Canada...

[quote]Can all of the colors result from a breeding of two black newfs? Or must at least one of the pair be landseer/brown/grey etc? I know w/shibas that every once in a while you can get a black and tan pup out of a breeding of two reds, but it's pretty uncommon.[/quote]

When breeding for black Newf's you can have recessive genes in their lines with gray, brown or landseer...breeders in Canada who only breed for black Newf's keep the lines free from dogs which may carry a recessive gene for colours other than black...if there is a recessive gene for a landseer/gray or brown in the black Newf's line they will bury it by breeding to Newf's with only blacks in their line (or if they do have brown highlights in the black newf's coat...they just dye the coat, that happens alot).
One of my Newf's has landseer in his line which would be a recessive gene...he is only bred to bitches with all black lines...he was bred at one time to a bitch with landseer in her line and they produced a couple of black and white pups...some white on a black Newf is acceptable, but these pups turned out with more white than acceptable...they were sold as pet quality.
In the States they will get more brown and gray Newf's than we do in Canada as they can show these colors down there. In canada we are very strict about the colors and will not breed a line with 2 recessive genes which may produce a brown or gray.
I have an American Newf calendar which has more brown and gray Newf's in it than blacks or landseers :lol: where the colors are becoming more accepted in the States they are not as strict with the lines etc.

They are not rare colors, its just the breeders are not breeding for these colors.

No Newfiemom, you wouldn't see alot of brown or grays at the dog shows. Every one who is competing is breeding for the winning look...blacks are the most popular, and Newfie breeders are very prejudice when it comes to the colour of their Newf's :wink:
When competing you try to keep with the blacks etc. as they are going to have a better chance at placing than a brown or gray. This is why you don't see them too often...breeders are not breeding for them...not to say that they don't happen...but, with well researched lines you can prevent any browns/grays to show up in your litters.
I guess what I was trying to say in my earlier post is that here in Canada where grays & browns are unacceptable in the show ring...breeders around here go the extra length to research their lines and ensure there will be no browns or grays...they are easy to breed against. In the States a kennel may not care weather there are browns or grays in their lines and may produce these colours in their future litters....they would probably keep the blacks and sell the browns/ grays as pet quality as these colours just don't make a big impact in the show ring..they may be accepted colours in the States....but, I still don't imagine any one would want to put one up against a black or landseer...it would fade into the back ground :lol: :wink: