Dogomania

puppy wont stay home!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

my almost 6 month old rotti-german shepard mutt wont stay home. She seems to think that the neighbour is way cooler than me! my neighbour is an older man, and my puppy is just mine (girl) and my moms, so she only ever see's girls. its starting to become a real problem when she goes to the neighbours, becuase she knocked down his young grandson.

she will sit and come when she's paying attention to me, and we work on sit-stay-come every day on a long leash. i live in the country, but my neighbour is only a stones through away, and i think its a shame to have to tie a dog up in the country. my yard is not fenced, becuase it would cost too much to do this.

also, i have two cats, who the puppy thinks are her own personal moving toys. the cats have scratched her nose and made it bleed a number of times, but it doesnt seem to bother her. i'm starting to get worried about the cats, because the puppy is starting to almost pounce on them and bite them. when she see's the cats, its like i'm not there. i'm completely ignored, just the same as when she goes to the neighbours. there is also a wild rabbit on our property who she chases and ignores me. she often chases the rabbit into the neighbours yard.

this is the fisrt dog that i have ever had, and i'm getting worried that i cant handle it. i dont want to give her up, but the neighbour is getting really mad at me!

Any help would really be appreciated. thanks

It's actually really bad to let a dog wander around like that. Even if it is in the country. I grew up in the country and lost many animals to cars, doesnt matter where you live.

A fence is a good investment and will save you from pain of losing your loved pet.

Guest Anonymous

i'd loooooooooooove to be able to fence 20 acres of land, but cant! i basically have no yard too...its in orchard. most of the rest of the land is in blueberrys, and i get u-pick custemers. all my neigbours have dogs that just run on their land... and i dont understnad how they do it! i'm lucky cus my pup is scared of cars and pavement! (lol) my mom and i are gone lots becuase i have school and she works, so we need a dog to protect our house. our neighbourhood has had a few break-ins and a drunk guy waving a gun around (its really freaky up here) nad we've only lived here for a year.... thanx for the input though. what i really need is some more puppy training advice!

:o Sounds exactly like Beta, our Rotti/Shepherd/Lab cross, four and a half years ago! She was exactly like that! We also live in the country and she went in the neighbors yards and barked at their dogs and a few of the neighbors were pretty mad! Unfortunately I don't really know how we stopped her, I think she just finally grew out of it but we had to tie her up a lot of the time because she'd take off right away. We left her in the house when we weren't home and gave her a lot of exercise on leash. But she's fine now and rarely wanders. I hope someone can help you with your dog, just hang in there! :)

You can try boundary training. Walk her around the perimeter on a leash and don't let her go out of it. And keep her on a leash while she is outside until she is good at it. It will probably take a while but you need to be able to control your dog if the neighbors don't want her in their yard.

Also since this is your first dog you really need to attend a good training class. A private traininer could help you with the boundary training. Buck has the boundary training down, but we still watch him while he is outside. You still won't just be able to leave her alone. Especially if you have people coming and going in cars.

Can you teach her the "leave it" command? You can use it to get her away from the cats when she is getting too rowdy.

Guest Anonymous

thanx for the advice everybody!

i'm definitly goin to look into puppy classes and do the perimiter walking. i will also look into having a small run around place fenced in for her, becuase i dont want to tie her up...ever!

Guest Mutts4Me

Just in case it got lost in the shuffle or something, this was your last thread about this problem, Molly:

[url]http://forum.dogomania.com/viewtopic.php?t=9836[/url]

Between the two threads, I think everyone's given some good advice. I learned something new, too. I mentioned boundary training once to someone, and a dog trainer jumped me, saying that was a bad thing, but quite a few people have since backed up my suggestion of it to you, to I guess it's not a generally hated practive afterall ;)

Good luck with the pup's training! Let us know how it goes, with updates and everything, ok? :)

Guest Anonymous

everything is goin great with puppy! boundry training has reaaaallllllllllly helped. she got off the porch other day when we werent home and by the time we got home she was pretty meek and loving! i'm hoping the neighbour yelled at her,which he was not doing before. a few weeks ago before the neighbout had his kid over all the time, he was being al nice to her and petting her and loving her, which i though he shouldnt be doing cus it made puppy want to go over there even more!she's also sticking closer to me, trusting me more. we walk tthe permiter every day, and she comes when i call 90% of the time! she knows now that she gets in trouble and locked on the porch for a little while when she goes over there, and she knows that she gets love and/or treat when she comes. she also has a super 'sit' on her, and i don t have to say it twice for her to sit! i'm really happy with the progress that we're making...thanx everyone!

Guest Anonymous

just wondering what type of collat i should be using? a friend gave me a choke chain with instructions to use the "live" end untill she listens well, and then to use the "dead" end after that.... previous to this i was using a wide collar (about 2 inches) what should i use? :-?

I'm glad training's working. I'd never leave my dogs outside unattended though. We have a fenced yard but I feel like there's ALWAYS a slim chance that something will happen. That's just me though. Anyways, have you thought about putting a dog run in? They're relatively cheap and she'd still be able to run around a bit. I know you said that she's starting to pick up things but you just never know.

As for collars, NEVER NEVER NEVER leave a choke chain on her while she's unattended. Choke chains are STRICTLY for training. Dogs have choked themselves to death by getting caught on something because they were left unattended. If you just want some kind of collar to leave on while she's out (it's a good idea to have tags on as well), I'd stick with regular nylon collars. Or even better, hemp collars. They're said to be stronger.

first of all, if the dog is a nuisance to neighbors, KEEP IT HOME. Tie it up, put it in a lot, never let it out without a leash, whatever. If the dog is annoying other people, it MUST NOT be outside without supervision. If for nothing else, you're being a good neighbor by not letting your dog onto other people's property. The best reason for making sure your dog stays on your property: mean, mean, rotten-to-the-core people can pour antifreeze out and your dog will be a dead doggy before you know what hit him. I've seen it happen I don't know how many times.
You don't have to fence twenty acres. One roll of hundred foot fencing, fashioned into a square, with a door added, gives him alot of space. You can try walking him around what you consider to be his "yard" with him on a leash, correcting him for going over a boundary. He must never be outside without a leash while he is still ignoring your "Come" command. Never say it unless you can make him come, (ie, he is on the leash and you have ahold of the leash) and always reward him for "coming" even if he "came" by you hauling the leash hand over hand to get him there. It may take years before he is entirely trustworthy off leash.
And, it sounds like he has a prey drive. This means two things: he may NEVER be trustworthy off leash, and he may NEVER be able to be alone with your cats, even for a few minutes. The prey drive is a hard one to control, and a professional trainer is your best bet for learning how to do so.

There is a lot of opinions on treats. I would say if you are going to treat anyway, don't worry about it. If you don't like the idea of treats, you could probably go to either. Our trainer used treats but also said that if you prefer you could reward with a fav. toy or praise if the dog was very praise motivated. I guess, IMO, a lot of it is up to you, pick what you'll stick with. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

just an update on stuff.....
molly (puppy) has not gone over the old neighbours house for weeks!!!!!!!!!!! :) but now she's goin over to the other neighbours house who has two dogs :( arggggg.....it just feels hopeless sometimes. i'm goin away for christmas so we decided not to get a trainer untill the new year. and in the spring, we'll be page wireing the road and the neighbour parts of the property....no problems with the barbed wire parts of the property. molly is also doin much better with the cats, and unless she's super hyper will make sure she ignores them when anyones around. my one cat asks for it though, sitting on top of the hay shed batting at the air and hisssing...its funny but i kno molly still tries to jump on the cat when the cat comes in the way of her run... thats something we'll need to work on. and the other day molly was heading for the neighbours and i called her and she got righ t to the end of my driveway and stopped, looked, and came running back! i was so happy! anyways, have a good christmas and a happy new year!

[quote name='molly']just an update on stuff.....
molly (puppy) has not gone over the old neighbours house for weeks!!!!!!!!!!! :) but now she's goin over to the other neighbours house who has two dogs :( arggggg.....it just feels hopeless sometimes. i'm goin away for christmas so we decided not to get a trainer untill the new year. and in the spring, we'll be page wireing the road and the neighbour parts of the property....no problems with the barbed wire parts of the property. molly is also doin much better with the cats, and unless she's super hyper will make sure she ignores them when anyones around. my one cat asks for it though, sitting on top of the hay shed batting at the air and hisssing...its funny but i kno molly still tries to jump on the cat when the cat comes in the way of her run... thats something we'll need to work on. and the other day molly was heading for the neighbours and i called her and she got righ t to the end of my driveway and stopped, looked, and came running back! i was so happy! anyways, have a good christmas and a happy new year![/quote]
That's great! Happy Holidays! :)