Dogomania

Puppy Grooming

Aonir

Is there anyway to get puppy to hold still during grooming? She absolutely LOVES it, ahem.. loves attempting to help. She thinks the brush is some sort of toy even though its kept away from her except for grooming. I believe she will grow out of it, i hope.. lol...

[quote]She thinks the brush is some sort of toy even though its kept away from her except for grooming[/quote]

You might want to try the reverse and see what happens.

In the beginning Miles would not hold still because he was so very interested in the brush and what I was doing with it. On the advice of a friend I let Miles have the brush to smell, nibble (just a little) give a thorough once-over. As expected, he got very bored very quickly. Now he doesn't constantly twist and turn to try to smell/bite/play with the brush because he knows what it is and that it isn't very exciting.

Oscar did that at first. I let him sniff at the brush for a while before I start to use it every time. and i started with very short sessions -- now he'll hang out pretty much as long as i like.

it helps to put treats on your head too. I taught him to 'stand' -- that was the purpose of the treats. he could see them, i could work --- he stood as long as it took :wink:

Ahhh, I used to have the same problem with Rowie, until I let her sniff it, examine it, and realize it wasn't that exciting.

But now I am faced with a different problem. :-? I have 3 different types of brushes for our grroming sessions. She will leave 2 of these alone while I brush, but one of them (a double sided brush) she just loves to chew on! While I am grooming her, she will twist and try to grab the brush! This is very weird, because I have allowed her to sniff/examine it, un yet she still tries to grab it? :-?