Dogomania

LOL

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

DP - One of the big elements of the laser that causes problems is that it is intangible (no sound, touch, smell etc). The dart is tangible and he does get to catch it thus completing his task. In my experience with Jacks, they are hunters, they hunt the laser but the can NEVER catch it. That is what makes them crazy. But with BC's it might be different since it is a different instinct. I have seen other dogs do what you described with balls and games of fetch. As long as you dont start to see problems with patience, attention and aggression, I would think the darts would be okay since he can actually satisfiy the drive that is active. Maybe designate one dart as his and let him have it after you decide you are done playing.

Well perhaps Kavik will be ok, he does have on dart he already totes around the house occaisionally, he takes it upstairs at night sometimes but doesn't chew on it - good thing too or it would break and I'd have to take it away, I will watch none the less and see, so far he shows no aggression issues with it.

Dont get me wrong, laser light games are ok, once in a while, if you dont shine it directly into the dogs (or peoples) eyes. But you have to keep it limited, to a few minutes once or twice a week. Because there is no smell, no sound, no taste, nothing tangible, they dont understand it. In their lives everything they can see also has a smell and a sound. They can be become completely bent over not being able to figure it out. In dogs who are not sight hounds, smell is foremost. They can SEE this thing, but cant smell it. They dont understand, and as they try to understand, they canb get "addicted" to the game. trying to figure out what this thing is....

Play, but just be careful. And if the dog seems to be becoming angry or insistant about it then stop.