Dogomania

Akita..... dog attacks on Humans....many....read....

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Sanvean']I guess your post isn't quite clear, Shellie...did Muffy die of a disease? If so, you may need to wait a certain amount of time before getting a dog, because many canine disease will lurk in your home and/or yard for quite a long time.

In addition, if you don't feel you can keep a dog safe from cars, you should wait to adopt until you do. While it is hard to hear about dogs being euthanized in shelters, it is certainly a better way to die then being hit by a car and possibly suffering for hours.[/quote]

I thank you for this reply! My post was definately not clear. I've already thought about their being some sort of canine disease in our home and I'm cleaned the carpets and furniture with a heated carpet/upholstery cleaner. I believe that my former dog died of some sort of disease. I could cry buckets right now for letting her shots slip by and putting them off till "next week". :(

I guess I am debating with myself on whether or not I think it's safe to have a dog without a fence. On the one hand, I'm perfectly willing to leash walk the dog for a couple of months (or as long as necessary, but if I get a dog now, it'll probably be about 2 months before we have our wireless fence in place). My fear is what if he gets out by accident? What if my children open the door and let him out.

In the meantime, I feel SO bad for the dogs in the pound! I've only had one dog my whole adult life that ever got hit by a car (and he escaped from our fenced in back yard). But his demise was instantaneous...no suffering. So I dont' have a lot of experience with animals that get hit and suffer.

Thank you for the advice. I'll probably wait a bit before I get another dog...but there is an adorable dog who is calling my name at the pound, lol. So if I can hold out, I will.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='DogPaddle']
The CDC study involving FATAL dog attacks indicates that, yes, pit bull type dogs (which is a very genralized term and may or may not artificially raise stats) are responsible for more fatal attacks. However, Akitas do not rank very high at all in this study. Additionally this study measures FATAL attacks only and is not corrected for relative population of dogs. So attacks by some breeds may be more deadly but occur more often and the prevelance of pit bulls more artificially inflate the statistics. Additionally other good studies indicate that breed of dog is less a factor in biting incidents than environment and situation. In these studies it is determined that the worst risk of bites is from unnuetered males, abused dog and highest of all - chained dogs. This is not to say that Akitas are easy, safe, "entry-level" dogs. Just that they are not as bad as they are being made out to be and/or their handlers in general are handling the breed well.

[url]http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/duip/dogbreeds.pdf[/url]

What do people say to starting a little survey of our own, and lets try to be as honest as possible so we can see what turns up?
My suggested parameters:
Dog bites that involve broken skin/bleeding.
Unprovoked attacks.
First hand experience or eye witness only.
So unless anyone has any other parameters or an objection . . .
I'll start

Miniture Poodle 1[/quote]

I respectfully disagree with your grounds for submitting a survey answer. I do not agree because, I base my opinions on what I consider more "vicious" dog breed on not just my experience, but the experience of friends and others as well. This does not mean that I don't think that pit bulls, for instance, can't be sweet, loving animals. Because of this I'll tell you my experience with dog attacks. After all, I'm sure you'd agree that I'd be an idiot if I wasnt' willing to learn from the experiences of other's right?

I know of two serious dog attacks on humans and one on other dogs. One, the family I spoke of before, bitten by pit bull (I know the family personally, not the victim). The other was one of my best friends, and she bares the scar across her face to this day of a pit bull. She was going to visit a family and was attempting to come in the fence in the back yard. The dog jumped up before she ever made it in the back yard and bit her in the face. One other incident that did NOT involve dogs attacking humans, but another dog I witnessed also. Again, pit bulls. I came to pick up my son from school, but was a little early, so I was driving around looking at the pretty houses in the neighborhood behind the school. A little old lady stopped me and asked me to help her because her pit bulls were attacking this other dog. When I got out, there they were chewing away on this poor little chained up dog. I was eight months pregnant and was afraid they would turn on me if I tried to grab one of them, so I ran up the street to a lady I saw outside in her yard and told her what was going on and ask her to call the police. I've never seen anything so visious in all my life. Those dogs literally shook that poor ole chained dog like a rag doll. That brave(? or was she stupid?) lady grabbed a stick, ran down the street, and jumped right in the middle of these dogs. I went back later and asked the owners of the chained dog how there dog was and they said terrible. The dog was at the vet, but they didn't know if he'd live or not. Were these dogs provoked or chained? WHO CARES (not that I'm in favor of a dog being chained). I've never "personally" known of a chained labrador (or collie, etc.) biting anyone. I have known little dogs that bite easily...and regularly. But luckily little dogs rarely kill. My point is not that labradors won't bite. I just believe that Pit bulls and some other breeds have gotten their rep for a reason...and it's NOT just because of the media! They are predispositioned to bite, imo and experience.

Incidentally, I don't always think small biting dogs are a bad thing. My brother loves to aggravate animals...so when MY poodle bit him, I was glad. He deserved it, and the dog was only defending it's self. If the dog had been larger, I would handle "biting" differently. Am I the only one who feels this way?

[img]I respectfully disagree with your grounds for submitting a survey answer. [/img]
The alright everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

[quote]She was going to visit a family and was attempting to come in the fence in the back yard. The dog jumped up before she ever made it in the back yard and bit her in the face.[/quote]

Don't forget that this was the DOG'S TERRITORY. How was he to know that she wasen't trying to harm his family? Had she ever met the dog before?

[quote]One other incident that did NOT involve dogs attacking humans, but another dog I witnessed also. Again, pit bulls. I came to pick up my son from school, but was a little early, so I was driving around looking at the pretty houses in the neighborhood behind the school. A little old lady stopped me and asked me to help her because her pit bulls were attacking this other dog. When I got out, there they were chewing away on this poor little chained up dog. I was eight months pregnant and was afraid they would turn on me if I tried to grab one of them, so I ran up the street to a lady I saw outside in her yard and told her what was going on and ask her to call the police. I've never seen anything so visious in all my life. Those dogs literally shook that poor ole chained dog like a rag doll. That brave(? or was she stupid?) lady grabbed a stick, ran down the street, and jumped right in the middle of these dogs. I went back later and asked the owners of the chained dog how there dog was and they said terrible. The dog was at the vet, but they didn't know if he'd live or not. Were these dogs provoked or chained? WHO CARES (not that I'm in favor of a dog being chained). I've never "personally" known of a chained labrador (or collie, etc.) biting anyone. I have known little dogs that bite easily...and regularly. But luckily little dogs rarely kill.[/quote]

This lady obviously did not know the breed. The APBT was bred to be dog aggressive. They were also bred to NOT be human aggressive. I'm not saying that you wouldn't have gotten bit had you stepped in, but I assume (terribly sorry if I'm wrong :D ) that you don't know mcuh about the breed.

[img]They are predispositioned to bite, imo and experience. [/img]

Yes, to fight dogs, but they were the only breed specifially bred to love humans. When the dogs were fought, the owner had to be able to grab the dog no matter what and the dog would not bite or it would be culled.
Can you say the same for a labrador?

[quote]My point is not that labradors won't bite. I just believe that Pit bulls and some other breeds have gotten their rep for a reason...and it's NOT just because of the media! [/quote]

Your right about this, its not only the media, its the backyard breeders and gangsters who give this wonderful breed a bad name. Its is not the responsible owners and breeders who know their dog and the breed.

[quote]Incidentally, I don't always think small biting dogs are a bad thing.[/quote]

I hope you mean unprovoked bites. I did not do anything to the minature poodle that bit me, his owner was irrisponsible. I don't think that I should be bitten because its "just a little dog, so who cares your not dead"

[quote]If the dog had been larger, I would handle "biting" differently. Am I the only one who feels this way?[/quote]

So, its ok to bite because its a little dog? If someone was teasing my border collie/golden mix and he bit would I have him put down? no.
Is it fair to based on size what dogs will and will not be killed?
I know that large dogs can do more damage, but they would both bite for the same reason, Is this fair that one should die and one should not?

a few wekks ago, a little kid hurt Chaos intentionally. He stomped on her tail for absoultely no reason. She yelped. he did it again. I yelled at the dad for not stopping his kid and he LAUGHED!
Chaos turned around to the kid and LICKED HIS HAND. I would NOT have blamed her if she had biit him. I would have bit myself if a someone hurt me.

BTW Chaos is a pit mis.

Guest Anonymous

[quote]My point is not that labradors won't bite. I just believe that Pit bulls and some other breeds have gotten their rep for a reason...and it's NOT just because of the media! They are predispositioned to bite, imo and experience.[/quote]

I agree with you Lucky Choas! Backyard breeders and "ganstas" also give the breed a bad rap. AND ALSO these people who let their Pits run free and do whatever they want. I can see how a Pit Bull would probably attack another dog. They are bred to be dog aggressive which is COMPLETELY different from being human aggressive. Dogs KNOW the difference between dogs and humans. Let's give them some credit...

And there are HUNDREDS upon HUNDREDS of dog attacks THAT ARE NOT reported every year. The media seems to like Pit Bull and Rottweiler attacks. They seem to be the ONLY attacks we hear about although I did see a GSD mix attack reported, but that was only TWO SENTENCES long. When a Pit bull or a Rottweiler attacks it is TWO PAGES long saying how vicious they are. :roll: When a lab or a golden attacks someone it is written OFF as a FREAK ACCIDENT, but if a Pit or a Rottie attacks it is a DELIBERATE attack and the bred is deemed VICIOUS. Plus half of the attacks that are REPORTED to be by "pit bulls" aren't really even pit bulls. They are mixes. I once saw a report on a so-called PIT attack and the dogs WERE NOT pit bulls. They showed a picture of them and they looked more like GSDs and labs to me. Most people wouldn't know how to indenify a pit bull from a Presa...

I was bit by a lab once...it was NOT a pretty sight. I also lost my eye...

[quote] Incidentally, I don't always think small biting dogs are a bad thing.[/quote]

ANY dog biting humans is NOT a good thing. You'd be surprised but a Dachshund can inflict A LOT of damage. A baby was killed by a Dachshund once and another was killed by a Pom.

[quote]After all, I'm sure you'd agree that I'd be an idiot if I wasnt' willing to learn from the experiences of other's right?[/quote]

I certainly think we should learn from others. The reason I opted to include only bites that the poster witnessed or experienced themselves is so that the "unprovoked" issue can be clearly and accurately evaluated. I think I posted this elsewhere but we had a personal experence where my mother's cockapoo snapped at a 9 year old. The child said she did nothing. Fortunately the neighbour was able to tell us otherswise as she happened to see the event. Also dog bite storeis have a way of growing over the tellings, a bite that was unpleasant will turn into a mauling over enough tellings.

[quote]Were these dogs provoked or chained? WHO CARES [/quote]

I care. I think it is reprehensible to put a dog down for defending itself.

I do think that pit bulls can do more damage than other breeds and therefor require handlers to be extra dilligent. I don't think that unprovoked biting is anymore acceptable in a small breed than a large breed as far as behaviour goes but I know that I expect more from the handlers of larger dogs due to the damage they are capable of.

Please note I did indicate that:
[quote]yes, pit bull type dogs (which is a very genralized term and may or may not artificially raise stats) are responsible for more fatal attacks. However, Akitas do not rank very high at all in this study.[/quote]
So my major point was that Akitas are not responsible for as many fatal attacks as this thread would lead some people to believe.

Well here we go again, the ages long debate........ :roll:
All I have to say is that I had a wonderful Akita/Rott mix for close to 15 yr., she was my loyal companion and protector. She was my constant shadow till her dying day, which happened to be the worst day of my life so far. :cry:
I do Daycare for small children ages infant - 12 yr. and I'll tell you she was the most tolerant and loving dog to ALL those kids. They climbed on her , they used her as a step stool to get on the couch, they hugged her, they accidentally would step on her feet. Nothing those kids did to her bothered her..... and if my husband teased like he was going to "get" one of the kids (in play) she would play along and get right between like she was saving them !!
Her only fault was that she was dog aggressive. I knew her weakness and she was never let out unless she was on a leash. :wink:
People have to be RESPONSIBLE PET OWNERS and know their animals strengths and weakness's.
And NO ONE should leave a child alone with a dog, ANY DOG !!

Now as for dog bites my Mom had a Chihuahua before my brother and I were born and that dog hated us :evilbat: ..... He bit my brother.
We also had a Boston Terrier that bit another one of my brothers ears, not badly , my brother was only about 5 and when she bit him, he bit her back and she never bit again !! LOL (I'm not recommending that for anyone !! LOL) I think it was just a "kid" reflex kind of thing..... :lol:

• 1 year later...
Guest Anonymous

2 Akitas allowed to roam the area, they are guard dogs for a camp catering company across the alley from our home. They came into our yard a little before midnight, throwing themselves at our front window in an effort to get at our St Bernard 9who up til then was sleeping) inside.

I went out to yell at them, and they attacked.

I called the owner, he assured me they would be looked after. I called the police, who rounded them up and brought them back to the company a little after midnight.

The next morning, around 10:30, they were back, attacking my dog in OUR yard. I ran out (not thinking about me, just horrified my dog was being mauled) and they turned on me. Tag teaming as I screamed for help.

They finally left, I was beyond furious.

I took my dog over to the company, and was talking to the manager. He said "come through the yard to my office" (In another building)
"You'll be fine" "Will your dog be okay?" I said I guess so, if you think they will not come at us if they get back in your yard.

Off we went, to be attacked again, of all the familiar faces to those dogs, no one was able to get them away (great training guys!) They wanted me, but my St Bernard kept putting herself in front of my legs to try and protect me. She was savagely bitten repeatadly on the neck and shoulders. I was screaming GET A STICK, HELP ME, my son heard the commotion and came running with a large 4x4 piece of wood. He was some distance away and didn't know where in the compound my screams were coming from, he was banging on the building walls and doors, finally he broke a large window, which must have grabbed the dogs attention.

I did not know this, we went into the building for me to calm down.

While these dogs went around the other building at my 14 year old son.

He laid one out with the oiece of wood, breaking it's jaw as it came at him, the other ran off. My son called some more for me and went home to call the police.

We could not get back out of the building....even the company owners...owners of these dogs! for some 20 minutes as the dogs were trying to attack them. Finally, I was able to get out and home.

My right arm and right leg torn up, my dog hurt, my family horrofied.

I must say I am PROUD of my St Bernard for trying so desperately to shield me from attack, she is 10 months old, and a lovely, socialable dog. I am PROUD of my 14 year old son for trying to get to me as I screamed for help, not thinking of his own safety, but his only thought was to somehow get to me.
I am disgusted in this breed. Not just the lack of training by this specific owner, but the breed in general, as I am researching it this morning to ready a civil claim, I am blown away that ANYONE sane or not criminal would think this is a suitable family pet and not one that should be outlawed.

Research the breed, research the morons who purchase breeds that are known to be agressive. It takes a certain person (read wingnut) to want a breed well known for it's agression. We have great alarm companies if you need security...if not, what kind of low self esteem do you have that you need an animal to make you more secure?

Thankfully, the web is full of items about Akita''s known aggression....even their main website mentions it. Breed standard is agression to other dogs.

Slam dunk civil suit.

I'm sorry you got attacked. Truly I am. That sounds like a horrible experience. But your wrong to label the whole breed as aggressive. ANY breed could have attacked your dog and then turned on you. These dogs were obviously attack dogs, not well trained family pets! Yes, they shouldn't be owned by just anyone, they need an owner who can teach them whats right. Dog aggression and human aggression are completely different things. These dogs just happened to be both. I have a dog aggressive dog who rolls over and licks any child she sees. Is she dangerous? In my opinion, no. I keep her away from other dogs, but let anyone pet her because it's different. Saying all akita's are aggressive is like saying all pit bulls are agressive. It's just not true, with proper breeding and training all dogs can be sweet loving family pets. Not matter the breed. A member on this forum has an akita who's a well trained sweet family pet from what I know.

Guest Mutts4Me

First off, this is an insanely old topic; it is in fact the topic that brought me to the board when I discovered the thread in a Google search on Akitas.

Secondly, Akitas are hunting dogs in origin, were also used as royal guard dogs, and so have territorial instincts. When brought up properly, they display extreme devotion toward their masters and reservation towards strangers, and they will guard and protect their people and property in full.

As with any dog, if an Akita is raised improperly - not socialized and not trained - it can be a dangerous animal. If you truly are researching the breed, as you claim, then I don't understand how you could actually be disgusted by it. It is a national monument in Japan; Akita statues are given as symbols of good fortune. There is a statue in Tokyo of an Akita named Hachiko who was owned by a professor, whom Hachiko waited for at the train station every day. After his master died, Hachiko continued to wait for him for nine years at the train station, and after the Akita died, a statue was erected to honor the dog's loyalty. Akitas were first brought to America by Helen Keller, and later American soldiers of WWII.

That is their history. I don't find the breed disgusting in the least bit.

And if you truly are doing research on the breed, then you should find plenty of sites maintained by Akita owners and lovers. You'll find plenty of people who keep their Akitas peacefully with other dogs, animals, and children. These dogs were raised properly and show it.

Please be careful before you start bringing the dogs' breed into it. You own a St. Bernard, which is in the Top Ten of dog bite statistics and therefore in danger if local governments try to enact BSL or insurance companies try to discriminate against breeds. Look at YOUR dog. You chose that breed... why??? Is it because they're #8 in the Dog Bite statistics and therefore big, bad, and dangerous? I doubt that's why you chose your dog. And I'd bet if someone got attacked by an unsocialized, untrained St. Bernard that was allowed to run loose, you would defend your dog and encourage people to look at the situation rationally.

So look at the situation rationally. Your neighbors are idiots who shouldn't be allowed to own dogs in the first place, let alone something as big, powerful and spirited as an Akita. Your neighbor's Akitas should be taken away from them, and if they prove human aggressive in a controlled environment, then they are probably not suited for society and should be put down. It's not their fault, nor their breed's. They probably could've been noble animals like your own if they'd been lucky enough to find an owner who wanted them for the right reasons.

Guest Anonymous

I used to raise Akitas. I have seen some nasty aggressive Akitas, and I have seen the sweetest gentlest dogs you could ever wish for. Their temperament has a lot to do with the breeding practice of the breeder. Breeding for temperament and early socialization is very important with any breed, especially with large dogs like Akitas. Many breeders like myself try to take steps to breed the aggression out of this breed. Unfortunately, many irresponsible BYB breed for size and looks with out giving any consideration to temperament, and are often actually looking for that special badass to breed because they think that is what people want.

When people are looking for the biggest and meanest dogs they can find, do not socialize and train them, and encourage and enforce aggression to make them good guard dogs or fighters with out considering the consequences, they can

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old thread but I couldnt help myself.
Anonymous your ignorance overwelms me. I am sorry you were attacked but to say you're disgusted w/ Akitas because of the attack is "ignorance."
Ive had Akitas for many years. The first I had for almost 15yrs w/o any problems. The 2nd I had for 12 years, dito no problemos. I now have my 3rd Akita who is 4 yrs old and have had 1 incident due to someone elses, you guessed it, "ignorance." One X-mas day I had the a house full of family members so we put Amos outside to make sure there would be no problems. Well, my wifes nephews girlfriend(who didnt know Amos) decided to go outside w/o out us knowing and proceeded to put her hand over the fence to pet Amos and he grabbed her and she required a few stitches. I was paying her hospital bills and before I had them paid in full she contacted my insurance company seeking a claim. My insurance company paid this girl several thosand dollars for her "ignorance". Im disgusted by her behavior and I believe I'll write off all of the nephews girlfriends....
So big deal about your civil suit but your ignorance is definetly a "slam-dunk".
Ahhh, I feel so much better ....:)

go to wwwdotbigboyztoyz69dotcom and click on family pictures to see Amos.