Dogomania

meat for dogs? yay or nay?

Luka-pop

My dad thinks that feeding the dog meat will bring out the carnivore in him, which will get him to chase more squirrels and stuff to catch and eat. Do you think there's any sense to that? My dog's a pointer mix, so he loves to chase squirrels, and over the past couple of months, he's been getting really fast and agile, and have actually caught some. I want to give him some meat as a treat once in a blue moon, but my dad is dead set against it. Bones, digestion, and germs are not the concern here, but rather the carnivorous nature of the dog.

ALL DOGS ARE CARNIVOROUS!! THEY ARE DESCENDED FROM WOLVES!!!

Tell your dad that meat protein is necessary for proper kidney, liver and digestive nutrition.

Dogs do not have a natural "taste for blood" - that "taste" comes into play when they kill something for food, and eat it. This only happens when they are not well fed in the household, and they have to fend for themselves. All dogs will chase, and attempt to kill, wildlife. You cant stop that.
But unless they are hunting because they have to, most of them kill the prey and leave it,. or bring it to you.

Feeding them a vegetarian diet is not good for their health and will not stop the hunting instinct. In fact. it may encourage it, because they need meat protein to be healthy.

ok let me amend that, for clarification.

ALL dogs will chase anything that runs, flies, or attempts to escape. This is what nature instilled in them. However, a well fed dog may chase, and even kill, prey, but will not eat it because he doesnt need to, he is well fed.

You cant stop their natural instincts...it's what they do. Some like to hunt just for the fun. Pointers and retrievers will always be bird and squirrel
saavy...that's what they were bred for. You cant really stop them, and not feeding them meat is bad for their health and well-being. They DO NOT become more aggressive if fed meat. if you are the alpha in their household...

I need to ask you to clarify meat in this case. Are we talking raw meat, cooked meat, canned dog food? Is Luka on a vegetarian kibble? Or a meat based one?
I agree with Courtnek, meat is very important if not absolutely critical for a dog. Quality meat protein gives so much to a dog, I cannot imagine a vegetarian diet actually meeting all of their needs. I don't know for sure but it just goes against what I believe.
Mine get beef, chicken and fish. I rarely eat pork so they rarely get pork.

[quote name='Luka-pop']My dad thinks that feeding the dog meat will bring out the carnivore in him, which will get him to chase more squirrels and stuff to catch and eat[/quote]

That is one of the biggest myths around, being spread by people who don't know what they're talking about, probably started by the multi billion dollar commercial industry.
My dogs are fresh, raw meat every morning, it doesn't change anything to do with their natural instincts, except that they are eating as nature would intend them to do. Tessa chased rabbits before she ever got a raw meat meal, and Lily is intent on chasing cats, its got nothing to do with what they eat, its their natural instincts and even our little poodle chases rabbits, its only a game for them. Do you think a racing grey hound who had never eaten a raw meal in its life would fail to chase the rabbit simply because it had never had a taste of natural food?

Thank-you! Maybe this will convince my dad. I used to give Luka meat and fish too, until my dad came up with this crazy idea. I think he's mainly just worried about Luka's welfare, since when we were in Japan, we couldn't eat any meat or fish that wasn't fully cooked for about a year, because of the 0157 bacteria that killed so many children and the lederly. Then, last week, around where we live, they found ecoli and some other weird bacteria (chloro-something) in the cow meat. So how should I give him meat and fish while avoiding the bacteria? Should I make it medium rare? LoL. And does anybody know where the whole post is about feeding meat and what bones are okay and what's bad and all that shdazzle is? I greatly appreciate it.

A dogs stomach is far too acidic for bacteria to survive in, if you are worried though, soak the meat in Apple Cider vinager before feeding it to Luka, not only does it kill the bacteria but it is also very good for dogs.
You have to be careful feeding fish and know where it comes from, some raw fish has an enzyme in it that depletes vitamin b, I can't tell you which fish this is as I can't remember, but to be safe I only feed my dogs tinned fish, besides, I can't afford to spend $20kg+ on fresh fish for myself, let alone two hungry dogs!!!
As for bones, never feed cooked bones. Marrow bones are great, so long as they are not cut in half which may cause teeth to break due to the unnatural edges. Raw chicken bones are great, same with turkey, lamb etc. I tend to avoid beef and pig bones as they are very hard. You have to be careful feeding dogs pork in some countries, Australia is fine but I'm not sure about else where as some countrys pigs have a disease which dogs can get from eating their raw meat, very bad, not sure what its called or exactly what it does but I think K knows?
Good luck with convincing your dad!

I am feeding Colby kibble now and she doesn't seem to like it that much can I add anything to it, like steak or chicken to get her interested in her food? I have a whole 40lb bag left and after it's done I would like to start her on a BARF diet.

If I can add the meat should I cook it first?

You don't have to wait until it's gone. You can feed at seperate times. In the morning you can feed kibble, and in the evening (dinner) you can feed the raw. It may be an easier for your dog as well. You might want to start a little slow, and don't feed too much raw fat at first, some dogs have trouble digesting the fat.

My girls get raw chicken backs as a staple, occasionally I'll substitute lamb off cuts or turkey necks. As well as that a few times a week they get their mushy stuff, which is basically every thing I can find thrown into a blender, turned into slop and fed to them!!! Raw veggies, whole raw eggs (shell included), kelp, liver or other offal, minced chicken, apple cider vinager, yoghurt, garlic, cod liver oil etc etc etc thrown in a blender and.... yum!!!! Just a word of warning, don't get too close for the after burp, its a killer!!! Its pretty easy really, its as simple as you make it, you can spend hours making up these extrodinary blends of what ever or you could just do what I do and get every thing you can find that is good for them and blend it all up in a couple of minutes, instant meal, delishious and nutritios!!! Easy as 1, 2, 3 - gather, blend and feed!!! :D
There are hundreds of good sites on the BARF diet also, each with their own ideas, choose what suits you and your dogs and its hard to go wrong :wink: