Dogomania

I never knew..

StarFox

I guess you learn something new every day. I was looking at some airline web pages (taking a trip in a few weeks). And just out of curiosity I was looking at the policies for pet travel and I found this:

Embargo of American Pit Bull Terriers (Pit Bulls, Pit Bull Terriers)
Continental Airlines will accept American Pit Bull Terrier puppies which are between 8 weeks and 6 months of age provided they do not weigh more than 20 lbs. All American Pit Bull Terriers more than 6 months old or weighing more than 20lbs. will be refused. This embargo does not apply to American Staffordshire Terriers, Bull Terriers, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, or Miniature Bull Terriers. Crossbreeds with American Pit Bull Terriers are also excluded from this embargo. The purpose of this embargo is due to the aggressiveness of the breed and the danger presented to our aircraft and our customers.

:x :cry: Seems like a bunch of poo to me! I don't understand it. That is the ONLY dog that is restricted from flying..how awful. :( It just makes me upset.

Here is the web page: [url]http://www.continental.com/travel/policies/animals/restrictions.asp?SID=D4378EF4529245C9AAD8A966A0CB1507[/url]

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Urgh! How horrible! Why is it only Pits? There are dogs much worse! Pits aren't even bad!

Fila's are really aggressive, not that I'm discriminating against the breed, but did you know they are the only breed allowed to bite the judge in a show? It's in thier blood to be aggressive....so why not ban them too?

In my opinion NO breed should be banned!!! :wink: They are all sweet muffins.... :D

[size=2](I know som guest is gunna come and bash me about the Fila thing... :roll: )[/size]

No kidding! How many truly purebred APBTs are there really out there, anyway? I'm willing to bet 99 percent of them are SOME sort of mix. And besides, so many of those breeds look similar that it would be VERY easy for anyone to say, "Oh, he's a Staffordshire."

and if the judge "isnt deterred" does he get to sue the owner for missing a few fingers?

that's ridiculous....

the APBT's have a bad name because of the criminal element....

why doesnt the govt do somehting about the CRIMINALS instead of trying to blame it on the dogs???

AAARRRGGGHHH

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

[quote name='StarFox']I guess you learn something new every day. I was looking at some airline web pages (taking a trip in a few weeks). And just out of curiosity I was looking at the policies for pet travel and I found this:

Embargo of American Pit Bull Terriers (Pit Bulls, Pit Bull Terriers)
Continental Airlines will accept American Pit Bull Terrier puppies which are between 8 weeks and 6 months of age provided they do not weigh more than 20 lbs. All American Pit Bull Terriers more than 6 months old or weighing more than 20lbs. will be refused. This embargo does not apply to American Staffordshire Terriers, Bull Terriers, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, or Miniature Bull Terriers. Crossbreeds with American Pit Bull Terriers are also excluded from this embargo. The purpose of this embargo is due to the aggressiveness of the breed and the danger presented to our aircraft and our customers.

:x :cry: Seems like a bunch of poo to me! I don't understand it. That is the ONLY dog that is restricted from flying..how awful. :( It just makes me upset.

Here is the web page: [url]http://www.continental.com/travel/policies/animals/restrictions.asp?SID=D4378EF4529245C9AAD8A966A0CB1507[/url][/quote]

Actually, no...that was not the only breed of dog that was restricted from flying. Dobermans were too and the Doberman Pinscher club of America worked with the AKC and some of the other breeds that American Airlines banned last year. It took quite a bit of time but, American has lifted the ban. I would hope that the dog folks would band together to see if they can reason with continental too.

Here's the last DPCA press release on the American Airlines situation.

Date: Fri Mar 14, 2003 3:03 pm
Subject: AMerican Airlines

AMERICAN AIRLINES REVERSES BREED-PROFILING POLICY

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

PRESS RELEASE

DOBERMAN PINSCHER CLUB OF AMERICA

TO: All interested persons

March 14, 2003

American Airlines is about to announce that, effective immediately, it is
reversing its seven month old policy of profiling certain breeds of dogs from
being carried as cargo on American Airlines carriers.

The DPCA is the first dog organization, or any other organization, to break
this news, which comes from the highest sources within American Airlines.

The breed-profiling policy was adopted last August, after an AA flight to New York during which a dog escaped from the cargo hold and chewed through the cargo hold wall.

The change in AA policy comes after an initial storm of protest from the
pure-bred dog fancy in general, organized in large part through the
leadership of the DPCA. Over the past six months, members of the DPCA
Legislative Committee have conducted confidential, high level negotiations
directly with AA officers charged with the responsibility for implementing
the breed profiling policy. At one point, a DPCA Legislative Committee
member held discussions with an AA officer in the first class section of an
AA 747 traveling across the Pacific to China.

As a result of the DPCA’s intensive, high level negotiations, AA has
crafted, and is about to implement, a crate securing procedure that will be used on all dog crates flying on AA flights irrespective of breed of dog being shipped, to ensure the safety of passengers and crew flying on AA.
Releasable cable ties will be used on all crates flown in cargo.

The reversal of the breed profiling ban is effective immediately. Between
May and September, the crate securing procedure will be perfected on dogs flown in crates as cargo only. Dogs flown as additional baggage will be subject to the new crate securing procedure beginning in September, giving the procedure an opportunity to be perfected during the summer months.

The DPCA is indebted to the efforts of numerous Doberman fanciers throughout the world who called, wrote, and e-mailed AA, which was flooded with mail in opposition to their breed profiling policy. A special thanks, which is well deserved, goes to Ms. Judy Smith, whose singular efforts on behalf of the DPCA to address this wrong are in large measure responsible for the success that we now enjoy.

Please disseminate to all lists.

Jeffrey P. Helsdon

Wow..Like I said you learn something new every day. I had no clue that Dobermans were banned from flying American Airlines. I'm glad that so many people stood up for the breed. :angel:

Hmm here are just a few random ideas that have been in my mind for the last few days. It seems that the Pitbull is societys "bad" or "evil" dog at this point in time. There are other dogs that people consider "dangerous" too, for example the Doberman and Rotties. But it seems that more people stand behind these breeds than the Pit? Why is that? Is it because society and the media have basically brainwashed people into thinking that all Pitbulls are bad, so no one will realy stand behind them? Or is it that people are afraid to stand up for them because they are afraid that them will be seen as "bad" too? (am I making any sense? :oops: ) I guess what I'm trying to ask is that if there were more people that stood up for PitBull rights would there be so much bad press about them?

(Sorry if this post dosn't make any sense, I'm rather tired)

This is the way it goes Starfox...

Dog A becomes very popular (in the 1970's it was the GSD) either from winning shows, or a TV series, whatever. All of a sudden, everyone wants
Dog A - there are not enough of Dog A to meet the demand, so unscrupulous breeders bad breed and in-breed to create more.
Dog A suddenly shows personality and instability issues - bites more often,
causes more damage, etc. People stop wanting Dog A. Dog A is now
being bred correctly and the incidents are greatly reduced, Dog A is no longer a threat.

In the 70's it was the Shepherd, than the Dobie, then the Rottie.....
Now it's the Pit Bull....