Dogomania

Anybody's baby have a reaction to bordatella vaccine?

Sanvean

We gave Macy her bordatella vaccine (the up-the-nose variety) last week. I did it with the help of a volunteer from my rescue group, who's experienced doing this sort of thing, because she had to have it to start obedience class and we couldn't see the vet in time.

A few days later, she started sniffling. Now, my poor angel is sneezing constantly. We called the vet first thing this (Monday) morning; they said this happens occasionally and she should be OK as long as she's eating normally and there's no discharge from her nose (she is, and there isn't). They told us to bring her in in a couple of days if she's still sneezing.

I know I shouldn't worry, but she just SOUNDS so miserable :niewiem: Has anyone else had this happen?

Guest Anonymous

Yes...

All three of my eskies get the sniffles/sneezing and occassional cough after their bordatella vaccine.

My guys clear up after about a week.

Yes, and I know dogs who have contracted kennel cough despite being vaccinated for it. One dog in particular had kc for almost a year after the vac. I won't give my dogs the bordatella vac. because i feel its not necessary for a healthy dog. I know its usually a requirement for those who board their dogs in kennels.

[quote]The best prevention is to not expose your dog to other dogs, especially young puppies. If this cannot be avoided, then proper vaccination is the next best option. Chances are that if your dog is regularly vaccinated with a standard 5-way or 7-way vaccine, he is already being protected against several of the agents causing tracheobronchitis, mainly parainfluenza and adenovirus. However, these vaccines alone rarely provide protection against contracting the disease, although they will help reduce the severity of the disease if the animal becomes infected.

More commonly, for best protection, an intranasal vaccine containing both parainfluenza and Bordetella is used. Intranasal vaccines create localized immunity that greatly reduces the incidence of clinical signs and illness. There are several precautions and warnings that need to be observed pertaining to this vaccine. [b]Some dogs will develop mild signs similar to tracheobronchitis when given this vaccine[/b]. Very often, the symptoms will last for several days and the dog will recover without treatment. Dogs that are vaccinated can also shed the virus and cause other dogs to become mildly infected and show mild signs. This shedding usually lasts less than 72 hours. In addition, it takes up to 4 days after vaccination for dogs to develop protection. When you combine these facts, you will see why I strongly recommend that a dog not be given intranasal vaccine within 72 hours of coming into contact with other susceptible dogs. Do not give the vaccine the day before a dog show, boarding, etc. Try to give at least four days before contact with other dogs, and preferably 7 days. This way you will protect your dog from becoming infected by other dogs, and protect those dogs from becoming infected by yours.

This vaccine is not without its problems. It is a very effective vaccine, but it must be used carefully and is generally only recommended for dogs that are at high risk. If your dog is not shown, boarded, or comes into contact with stray dogs, your dog is considered low risk.[/quote]

[quote name='RR']Yes, and I know dogs who have contracted kennel cough despite being vaccinated for it. One dog in particular had kc for almost a year after the vac. I won't give my dogs the bordatella vac. because i feel its not necessary for a healthy dog. I know its usually a requirement for those who board their dogs in kennels.[/quote]
yes, my pup developed kennel cough right after her vaccine--it sounded horrible and she had to be put on antibiotics :roll:

Macy started coughing this weekend. We're taking her in to the vet today, poor angel. :cry:

The vet (who didn't give her the vaccine -- I did, with the help of someone else in my rescue group) says it doesn't sound like she got it from the vaccine, because it normally takes longer for it to develop. He said it takes about a month; we gave her the vaccine almost two weeks ago. They think that she may have been exposed to bordetella before her vac, which I think is possible but unlikely.

Poor baby girl.

[quote name='Sanvean']Macy started coughing this weekend. We're taking her in to the vet today, poor angel. :cry:

The vet (who didn't give her the vaccine -- I did, with the help of someone else in my rescue group) says it doesn't sound like she got it from the vaccine, because it normally takes longer for it to develop. He said it takes about a month; we gave her the vaccine almost two weeks ago. They think that she may have been exposed to bordetella before her vac, which I think is possible but unlikely.

Poor baby girl.[/quote]

It's OK Sanvean, I'm going through the same stress you are going through... :cry:

[quote name='Sanvean']The vet (who didn't give her the vaccine -- I did, with the help of someone else in my rescue group) says it doesn't sound like she got it from the vaccine, because it normally takes longer for it to develop. He said it takes about a month; we gave her the vaccine almost two weeks ago. They think that she may have been exposed to bordetella before her vac, which I think is possible but unlikely.

Poor baby girl.[/quote]
My vet wasn't in favour of the "reaction to the vaccine" answer either. But considering that my pup didn't meet other dogs before her vaccination, I can't see what else could have happenned. Anyway, it doesn't really matter to me why it happenned as long as the cough could be gotten under control... I hope your baby will be better soon too.

Sorry to hear that your poor pooch contracted KC.

I'm sorry, I don't agree with vets on many issues of vaccines.
[quote]The vet (who didn't give her the vaccine -- I did, with the help of someone else in my rescue group) says it doesn't sound like she got it from the vaccine, because it normally takes longer for it to develop. He said it takes about a month; we gave her the vaccine almost two weeks ago. [/quote]

I'm not so sure I would believe vet on this, no I'm not a vet, but rarely will a vet admit a vaccine played a role in contracting what a dogs was vaccinated for. A dog can have a reaction to a vaccine immediately - or after quite some time.

For many things I believe in letting dogs develop their own immunity. My dogs/pups go many places with us and are exposed to many things. Being that they are healthy to begin with I know that this exposure helps build up their immunity. I understand there are several pathogens that cause kennel cough but the vaccine only includes two strains... this is enough for me NOT to vac. for kc

I know people who have sucessfully used homeopathic remedies to treat kc. This is one option you might consider -- although recommended to follow the advice of a homeopath.

Guest Anonymous

Yes,
My Pekingese Casey had an allergic reaction to the vaccine, her face and feet swelled up and I had to rush her to the vet where he gave her a shot of Cortisone and Benadryl. I now always keep Benadryl on hand. I hate these vaccines.
Lisa