Dogomania

Barking problem

sheesh

Hello,
My 1yo has lately developed this nasty barking habit while I am away at work. It's not unusual for there to be 2 messages on my machine when I return, of neighbors complaining of her barking all day :o . I am looking into the root of the problem (this is a new thing for her), but in the meantime, I don't want animal control being called. It is not 'nonstop' barking, from what they tell me, it is intermittent. I think she is lonely eventhough there's a dog nextdoor and I take her daycare once/week. Anyways, I bought a little unit which you place near her quarters which emits a high-pitched ultrasonic sound whenever it is activated by her barking. I was scared to get a shock collar, so I'm hoping this 'gentle' form will work. Anybody had any success or failures with ultrasonic measures?
Thanks

How about some more interactive toys? Kong makes quite a few - you could leave a stuffed kong to chew, and even a kong on a rope tied up high for entertainment. There are also buster cubes and other toys that dispense treats.

Where is she while you are at work? How could you make this area more exciting for her?

How long are you gone? Are there kids in the neighborhood who would like to earn a little money taking her for an afternoon walk?

all good suggestions - and I do most of them already. She has 2 kongs. 1 is stuffed with goodies. She has a buster cube. She has a cute turtle-shaped sandbox which she can dig in (and I hide biscuits in it!), she has other bones and toys. She has a great big sized dog run, with shady trees, and I even had my handman saw out some panels in the fence so that she has 2 windows!!! Talk about spoiled.
I think the only thing that has changed is that we took a vacation together and we were together 24/7. Ever since returning, she will not tolerate me leaving to go anywhere. I know I have long hours - i'm gone for 11 hrs - but it's only 4 days a week and for 1 of the days she goes to daycare.
Sigh...not sure what to do now.

So lovely that I could set up a tent out there and be perfectly satisfied! From what my neighbors said - she barked for 4-5 hours nonstop after I left for work in the morning. She started up around 3pm, anticipating my arrival. I have tried all the separation anxiety tricks in the book (for her destructiveness, not for her barking as this is a new thing) but nothing seems to work! Perhaps a dog walker is a very good idea- I have not tried that yet. She is my little problem child! But I love her dearly - so I'm willing to try anything.
Thanks for your help alicat

Perhaps you should look into a citronella collar. You can find them at [url]http://www.petedge.com/jump.jsp?itemType=INDEX&itemID=799[/url]

I'm not a huge fan of them but your particular situation may call for one. Your dog is alone for an extended period of time and rather than getting the neighbors all riled up, a citronella collar may be a better solution.

Personally, I think a better solution would be to have your dog inside when you're not home. You'd have to hire someone to come by and do a potty break during the day since 11 hours is too much.

Where does your dog sleep at night? Sleeping in the same room with a family member will help her feel less isolated.

Is she good in the house while you are away? A doggy door may also help the problem. Many trainers feel giving them access to the place they associate with you can help when dogs bark over isolation.

To answer your questions Alicat - She sleeps on her doggie bed right on the floor next to my bed.
If I leave her inside, and I remove all reachable objects - she behaves fine. But if I leave ANYTHING within reach - it is destroyed.
And yes, she does have a doggie door.

I had this problem with Ellie and I like you tried every trick in the book !!
In the end the thing that worked for me was the remote spray collar which is operated by a handset luckily I have a neighbour who I can trust with the handset and the signal works through the wall so I left the controller with him when I went out so that he could trigger it when she barked and it worked brilliantly.
The one that I have is called a Masterplus and the canister can hold air and water,citronella or mustard.

Sheesh,
what's the name of your ultrasonic devise ??? I have 2 Jack Russells that bark everytime the wind moves. I sure could use some help. :oops:
I've tried "NO" , I've tried spraying with vinegar/water, nothing works.....
I know Terriers are known to be a little yappy, but when they get going in concert it's ear shattering. :o :roll:

Here is a picture of the citronella bark collar. One of my dogs barks at the nocturnal critters when I let them out at night (I work until midnight), so I put the citronella collar on her only at night. She really doesn't bark much during the day. And my two girls sleep all day when I'm gone. When you fill the reservoir in the collar, I believe it's enough for 18-23 barks. Growling and low little woofs don't set it off. It works pretty well for my girl.

[img]http://www.petsmart.com/images/product/large/z301789.jpg[/img]

• 3 weeks later...

Debbie - sorry to get back to you so late. Pet Safe made the ultrasonic device, which worked so-so. They also make a collar w/ transmitter which emits a loud sound whenever the dog barks - but it bothered me because it would go off whenever she'd make *ANY* noise - like dropping her bone on the hard floor, playing tug-o-war, etc. So needless to say, I returned the collar device, and stuck with the little unit which emits a tone which humans can't hear which you leave outdoors in the vicinity of the dog.
Good luck with your Jacks!